Win XP with latest radeon catalyst

jpscfl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2002
This morning, I tried to capture a video with my 8500 AIW, but the "capture" icon was greyed-out. After some usual rebooting/checking, I tried calling ATI, since I have some unresolved issues from last August. I thought they might say: "try this," and everything would be resolved.

They asked if I installed anything new recently. The only thing I did was install sp1, but I'm pretty sure I tested everything afterwards. Per their advice, I uninstalled sp1 and tried again...same result.

This time they told me to upgrade to the latest drivers (since I was running on last August's stuff).

Well, I upgraded everything they suggested and now, there is no more icon for video capture and there is no TV video either. Running the initialize process skips over every single channel (channel 2 not there, chan 3 not there...), but all of the channel's audio is present, so I know my cable did not mysteriously break somewhere.

So, I called ATI again. Get ready, this is a great testimonial as to how ATI supports their customers:

"Sir, your card is out of the 30 day warranty period and you need to call out 900# for future support."

Then, to make this more profitable for ATI, they charge $1.95 per minute instead of a flat fee per incident. So, the longer it takes to reboot, the more it costs!

So for all of you who get hassled for constantly upgrading, now you have an excuse! Buy an ATI video card, wait a month before calling them, and you will save money by having a faster PC!

Why upgrade from an XP2600 to an XP2800! Here's why!

But seriously...Has anyone installed the latest catalyst stuff and actually have everything work...every day?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
All the ATI drivers have worked perfectly in everything on all versions of Windows (except for maybe the 2.2 Catalysts, they were slightly unstable). :smile:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.