Warmth or FO synergy?

Hi,

my level 80 SP Meteorb is wondering, if she should invest in Warmth or
start filling FO synergy?

Meteor, FB and FO maxed (about level 30 with +skills), level 23 Fire and
level 15 Cold Mastery atm. Warmth is level 13 and with 10 more points, she
could regenerate sufficient mana even w/o an Insight merc.

OTOH, would any of the FO synergies work as a secondary cold attack?
Glacial spike would get 100% damage synergy from FO, and at level 20 itself
cold damage would be quite nice? Perhaps the freeze length could be
improved by cold damage charms?

I seem to be using Meteor rarely, as it is difficult to aim and the burning
fire effects make it difficult to track baddies. It is doing double damage
compared to Fireball, but I can shoot 2-3 fireballs during one Meteor..

Thanks,

Oliver

Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my level 80 SP Meteorb is wondering, if she should invest in Warmth or
> start filling FO synergy?

Neither? See bellow...

> Meteor, FB and FO maxed (about level 30 with +skills), level 23 Fire and
> level 15 Cold Mastery atm. Warmth is level 13 and with 10 more points, she
> could regenerate sufficient mana even w/o an Insight merc.

I'd put points into fire bolt, to get some more power on fireball. IIRC
fire bolt sinergy gives even more damage to fireball than FM. Also, putting
points into warmth seems like a waste because you could always increase
your mana with some charms and other equipment.

> OTOH, would any of the FO synergies work as a secondary cold attack?
> Glacial spike would get 100% damage synergy from FO, and at level 20 itself
> cold damage would be quite nice?

It would, and it freezes monsters for a period of time, but do you really
need another cold attack when you've got a great cold spell in FO (which,
IMHO, works great on it's own) and a great fire spell in fireball? When
would you use it?

> Perhaps the freeze length could be
> improved by cold damage charms?

Hmmm, I'd also like to know the answer to that...

> I seem to be using Meteor rarely, as it is difficult to aim and the burning
> fire effects make it difficult to track baddies. It is doing double damage
> compared to Fireball, but I can shoot 2-3 fireballs during one Meteor..

Couldn't agree more...

--
Duergar

In article <11pbwe028f8v.1pqztzdbfvd6z.dlg@40tude.net>,
Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote:
>Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

[Big snip]

>> Perhaps the freeze length could be >> improved by cold damage charms?
>
>Hmmm, I'd also like to know the answer to that...

Cold damage from any source is not in any way related with the cold damage
done by any of the cold spells. It's, just like Crushing Blow, Deadly
Strike, etc, etc, 'regular' (i.e. melee and ranged) attack only.

Cold Mastery of course affects the damage you do that way, more or less
like Fire Mastery + Enchant + nice weapon with fire damage can be a very
effective combination. (But of course CM lowers monsters resists to cold,
and does not improve the cold damage directly).

Regards,

Patrick.

Hi,

Duergar <duergar@gmail.com> wrote in

> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> Meteor, FB and FO maxed (about level 30 with +skills), level 23 Fire
>> and level 15 Cold Mastery atm. Warmth is level 13 and with 10 more
>> points, she could regenerate sufficient mana even w/o an Insight
>> merc.
>
> I'd put points into fire bolt, to get some more power on fireball.
> IIRC fire bolt sinergy gives even more damage to fireball than FM.
> Also, putting points into warmth seems like a waste because you could
> always increase your mana with some charms and other equipment.

I have about 1K mana and life and use level 11 ES. Against bosses, merc
dies quite fast and then I don't have Insight to regen mana. I'd like to
equip merc with Reaper's or Obedience and don't have to quaff mana pots
like a junkie..

>> OTOH, would any of the FO synergies work as a secondary cold attack?
>> Glacial spike would get 100% damage synergy from FO, and at level 20
>> itself cold damage would be quite nice?
>
> It would, and it freezes monsters for a period of time, but do you
> really need another cold attack when you've got a great cold spell in
> FO (which, IMHO, works great on it's own) and a great fire spell in
> fireball? When would you use it?

Oh well, I looked at the cold skills, and all the FO synergies giving
better cold damage don't get synergy from FO (like he Meteor/Fireball
combo).

Regards,

Oliver

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my level 80 SP Meteorb is wondering, if she should invest in Warmth or
> start filling FO synergy?

Add to Fire Bolt instead. It a synergizes with FB.

> Meteor, FB and FO maxed (about level 30 with +skills), level 23 Fire and
> level 15 Cold Mastery atm. Warmth is level 13 and with 10 more points, she
> could regenerate sufficient mana even w/o an Insight merc.
>
> OTOH, would any of the FO synergies work as a secondary cold attack?
> Glacial spike would get 100% damage synergy from FO, and at level 20 itself
> cold damage would be quite nice? Perhaps the freeze length could be
> improved by cold damage charms?

The only synergy FO has, other than Cold Mastery, is Ice Bolt. Since it
only adds 2% damage increase, it's not really worth putting extra points
into.

> I seem to be using Meteor rarely, as it is difficult to aim and the burning
> fire effects make it difficult to track baddies. It is doing double damage
> compared to Fireball, but I can shoot 2-3 fireballs during one Meteor..

The trick is to use both. Cast Meteor then follow up with FB. A holy
freeze merc would help too.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'