Hammerdin merc?

Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2005 5:39:50 PM

I have been running my hammerdin around without a merc for quite some time
now (He's my lvl-88 MFer) and have decided I should really buy one and level
it up, etc.

I will probably give him (the merc) an Insight-runeworded weapon (not sure
which weapon yet though) as they look cheap enough to make and decent stats
but I cant really think of anything else that would be good for him (apart
from maybe a Stone-runeworded armour like my necro's merc).

I also cant decide on what type of merc to get and am currently looking at
Act2-Combat-Normal(Prayer) and Act2-Defensive-Normal (Defiance).

This will be my first merc for a hammerdin so I'd appreciate feedback if
possible from others that have built Hammerdins that use mercs :¬)

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

More about : hammerdin merc

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 5:39:51 PM

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
> I have been running my hammerdin around without a merc for quite some time
> now (He's my lvl-88 MFer) and have decided I should really buy one and
level
> it up, etc.
>
> I will probably give him (the merc) an Insight-runeworded weapon (not sure
> which weapon yet though) as they look cheap enough to make and decent
stats
> but I cant really think of anything else that would be good for him (apart
> from maybe a Stone-runeworded armour like my necro's merc).
>
> I also cant decide on what type of merc to get and am currently looking at
> Act2-Combat-Normal(Prayer) and Act2-Defensive-Normal (Defiance).
>
> This will be my first merc for a hammerdin so I'd appreciate feedback if
> possible from others that have built Hammerdins that use mercs :¬)

Well, my current Hammerdin just hit Act 3 Normal......but I'm leaning
towards a Might Merc or a Holy Freeze guy.

short

June 21, 2005 7:17:17 PM

My level 93 Hammerdin uses a NM Defense ( holy freeze) merc that wears Stone
armor, Tal Rasha's helm and uses Bonehew. Bonehew is socketed with a 36
enhanced damage jewel and a Poison Facet jewel. He does over 6 K damage
and only IM's kill him. ( Keep forgetting to take the weapon away from
him.) I don't know if this is the best gear for him, but it seems to be
adequate in Hell.

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in message

> "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
>> I have been running my hammerdin around without a merc for quite some
>> time
>> now (He's my lvl-88 MFer) and have decided I should really buy one and
> level
>> it up, etc.
>>
>> I will probably give him (the merc) an Insight-runeworded weapon (not
>> sure
>> which weapon yet though) as they look cheap enough to make and decent
> stats
>> but I cant really think of anything else that would be good for him
>> (apart
>> from maybe a Stone-runeworded armour like my necro's merc).
>>
>> I also cant decide on what type of merc to get and am currently looking
>> at
>> Act2-Combat-Normal(Prayer) and Act2-Defensive-Normal (Defiance).
>>
>> This will be my first merc for a hammerdin so I'd appreciate feedback if
>> possible from others that have built Hammerdins that use mercs :¬)
>>

> Well, my current Hammerdin just hit Act 3 Normal......but I'm leaning
> towards a Might Merc or a Holy Freeze guy.
>

> short

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
June 21, 2005 10:11:52 PM

In article <GMUte.17201$Vo6.9152@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:

>I have been running my hammerdin around without a merc for quite some time
>now (He's my lvl-88 MFer) and have decided I should really buy one and level
>it up, etc.
>
>I will probably give him (the merc) an Insight-runeworded weapon (not sure
>which weapon yet though) as they look cheap enough to make and decent stats
>but I cant really think of anything else that would be good for him (apart
>from maybe a Stone-runeworded armour like my necro's merc).

Insight is nice, especially for the cost, but to make a really good one,
you need an ethereal, 4 socketed, elite polearm. And those cost a lot,
since these are also used for the more expensive 4-socket runewords which
can be made in a polearm...

>I also cant decide on what type of merc to get and am currently looking at
>Act2-Combat-Normal(Prayer) and Act2-Defensive-Normal (Defiance).

Prayer + Insight is a Rabbi; they both synergize each-other as per the
Arreat's stats for both. Nice merc, but not sure that's 'best' for a
Hammerdin.

Defiance is for if you want to have a lot of defense; be sure to get the
gear which promotes this (i.e. a lot of base def to get it as high as
possible due to Defiance).

It all depends on what you want the merc to do. For instance, a Might merc
is also quite valid, although the Might aura does nothing for you damage,
it will boost the Merc's damage, allowing him to deal more damage and
therefore kill monsters more quickly.

My one and only Hammerdin, for which I still need to gather the 'resort'
to play him to Hell Baal because he's so boring to play, uses an Act 2
'Holy Freeze' merc: HF slows down the monsters, so they stay in the hammer
field longer.

>This will be my first merc for a hammerdin so I'd appreciate feedback if
>possible from others that have built Hammerdins that use mercs :¬)

Hope the above gives you an idea...

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:03:27 AM

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
>I have been running my hammerdin around without a merc for quite some time
> now (He's my lvl-88 MFer) and have decided I should really buy one and
> level
> it up, etc.
>
> I will probably give him (the merc) an Insight-runeworded weapon (not sure
> which weapon yet though) as they look cheap enough to make and decent
> stats
> but I cant really think of anything else that would be good for him (apart
> from maybe a Stone-runeworded armour like my necro's merc).
>
> I also cant decide on what type of merc to get and am currently looking at
> Act2-Combat-Normal(Prayer) and Act2-Defensive-Normal (Defiance).
>
> This will be my first merc for a hammerdin so I'd appreciate feedback if
> possible from others that have built Hammerdins that use mercs :¬)

The defiance merc is the hardest close combat merc to kill and will provide
your Pally with a good defense protection while in close combat if both have
high defensive gears. Your Pally should already have a good defense if he
uses Holy Shield and it would be interesting to know what % chance to hit
the strong monsters in act 5 have against him. The extra defense protection
may not be as beneficial for yourself but a merc that is not hit as often as
the other will generally do a better job against larger group for a
hammerdin unless in a party.

VD
!