Geforce 4 major problem

Andy_DK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Hello all :)

I have searched everywere to find a solution to this problem, maybe you can help me out.

I have recently bought a Geforce4 8460 TI4600. I bought it in US and got it send to me here in Denmark. The problem is when I boot my computer with it I get all these strange colored "boxes" on my screen, even in the boot-up sequence.
I have tried on several computers and screens and its the same deal.

Theres a little jumper on the card that says PAL/NTSC but nothing happends when I change to PAL - also theres a sticker on the Monitor plugin saying NTSC.
Is this problem really a PAL/NTSC screwup or is my card broken.
Have any of you heard anything about this problem?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Sounds like you're getting artifacts. This is probably caused by 2 reasons.

1. Your card is overheating.
2. Your PSU isn't powerful enough.

I'm gonna think the second one is to blame.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Junkkyy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah definitely a hardware problem.

No matter what problem you bring up on these boards, someone always says its the power supply, even though its not 99% of the time. (I once saw someone suggest that the power supply was to blame because the PC speaker wouldn't work, I kid you not)

Anyway, artifacts like that are usually caused by a problem with the cards memory. Additional cooling on the memory won't help, despite popular myth, but try bringing the clock speed of the memory down a bit.

I had a friend who had a similar problem- artifacts everywhere, in 2D, 3D, you name it, with his GeForce 2 GTS, and underclocking the memory about 10% made it without a hitch.

If that doesn't work I hope you have your receipt.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You shouldn't have to under clock the card. If it's not running up to spec, get an exchange.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...