9700 Powered/Built Differences?

Sensai2k2

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Anyone know if there are any differences in the 9700 Pro like the 8500 generation of cards that the core/memory mhz, memory ns timing, and ramdacs differs between Powered by ATI or Built by ATI or Built by ATI OEM? My retail 64 meg 8500 "Hardcore Gamer Edition" by Joytech Devil Monster II reads on my system as 250 core/230 4ns memory with 350 mhz ramdac. Thus my question.

*On the side, I still cant get dual display CRT working w/ any driver version on either 98 SE or Win2k SP3. Bought ATI universal DVI to VGA connector from Newegg for 8 bucks. Using 17 in. IBM P70 Trinitron tech. and Dell 15 in. Ultra something Trin. tech. No Secondary output response even switching monitors around.*

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
This is a quote from THG's "Pretender to the Throne" artical:
"It should be noted that original ATi cards (i.e., built by ATi) will only be available in North America. In Europe, ATi will leave the distribution and sales to its established partners like Hercules, while Creative will be in charge in Asia. On top of that, many other companies like Gigabyte or PowerColor will also be introducing their own take on the 9700 theme. ATi is obviously taking its cue from NVIDIA and transforming itself from a card manufacturer into a chip-maker and seller."

Another quote from anandtech.com:
"When ATI announced that the first shipping R300 boards would be called the Radeon 9700 Pro, we immediately asked if there would be a regular Radeon 9700. Although ATI won't be producing a Radeon 9700 board themselves, their partners will be selling lower clocked R300 boards and calling them Radeon 9700s. An official clock speed hasn't been set on the non-Pro parts but we'd anticipate something closer to the 300/300MHz mark."

I don't know if that helps out any.

As far as getting your dual output to work, I'm running the 9700 Pro, and utilizing both CRT outputs through Win2K's support. (You did go into "diplay properties" and check:
"Extend my Windows desktop onto this display" box, for the secondary monitor, right?)

Hope this helps.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Getting back to your Radeon 8500, some came with all the parts while others didn't. Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-198-01.JPG" target="_new">This Picture</A> and notice the little square black chip to the left of the heatsink. Now take a look at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-226-01.JPG" target="_new">This Picture</A> and notice it's not there. The first card has a second RAMDAC, while the second card doesn't. This part is responsible for VGA output on the second monitor connector through the DVI to VGA adapter. Without it, the adapter won't work. You'll probably see similar differences on various 9700 cards when they hit the budget gamers market.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of cheap 8500 cards simply won't work with two CRT's because of the issue I mentioned above.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I thought it was the DVI connector not being compatible, but your enlightment makes more sense.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

TRENDING THREADS