Argh! Botched my MF runs in SP! Also need some RuneWord re..

Hey all,

One thing I had forgotten in going back to SP a few months ago was that the
maps stay the same even if you Save and Exit. What I didn't know was that
the maps are reset if you change difficulty levels. My MF Necro (who's now
about 73) got the luck of the draw in Durance 2 and Worldstone 2 because the
entrances to lvl 3 for both were RIGHT next to the WP, making MF runs to
both doable in about 10-15 minutes with great xp in the bargain. Got my
merc outfitted with Howltusk, Rattlecage, and Pierre Tombale, although now
he can sport the Bone Hew I have since I finally found a Hel last night.
I'm assuming a Pskull should go in the other socket?

Yesterday, I decided to poke around in Act 1 Hell just for grins to see how
hard it would be. Not too bad, but my necro just doesn't have the res yet
for me to travel comfortably, so I went back to Nightmare to MF and the maps
had changed! Agh! Now the stairs to Durance 3 are like a half mile from
the WP. I got lucky with the Worldstone again, so I'll guess I'll stick to
Baal.

IIRC, Baal is the better boss to run since he's a higher level anyway, so I
guess it's not much of a loss.

Should I wait until my nec is about lvl 80 before I venture into Hell?

What Runewords would be good for him right now? I believe I can make Smoke,
Stealth, Rhyme, Lore, Lionheart, and Honor (for my merc of course, but
haven't found the right polearm yet). Additionally, should I consider a
RuneWord or two for my merc?

Also what armor types would be best for the aforementioned RuneWords if used
on a Necro? I've been saving several different kinds of 2 and 3-socket
armors and several 2-socket circlets for the right occasion. I have over a
hundred stat points saved so str req is not an issue (although I know I
don't want to go crazy with it!).

Dave S.

Thanks Gundemarie!

That link to Britton's PDF files was exactly what I was looking for!

Dave S.

In article <CHEve.9611$NX4.8308@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
David Simmons <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote:

>One thing I had forgotten in going back to SP a few months ago was that the
>maps stay the same even if you Save and Exit. What I didn't know was that
>the maps are reset if you change difficulty levels. My MF Necro (who's now
>about 73) got the luck of the draw in Durance 2 and Worldstone 2 because the
>entrances to lvl 3 for both were RIGHT next to the WP, making MF runs to
>both doable in about 10-15 minutes with great xp in the bargain. Got my
>merc outfitted with Howltusk, Rattlecage, and Pierre Tombale, although now
>he can sport the Bone Hew I have since I finally found a Hel last night.
>I'm assuming a Pskull should go in the other socket?

PSkull? What does a merc need mana leech for? You should put in an Amn,
preferably two Amns.

Luckily you can unsocket the Bonehew using the cube (Hel + item + TP
Scroll/book)

>Should I wait until my nec is about lvl 80 before I venture into Hell?

Err, why should you? What kind of necro is this? If it's a summoning
necro, just go into Hell, it's quite doable, even at level 60. I think my
first, and only, summoning necro this ladder went into Hell at around
level 60, and finished the game at around level 75.

>What Runewords would be good for him right now? I believe I can make Smoke,
>Stealth, Rhyme, Lore, Lionheart, and Honor (for my merc of course, but
>haven't found the right polearm yet). Additionally, should I consider a
>RuneWord or two for my merc?
>
>Also what armor types would be best for the aforementioned RuneWords if used
>on a Necro? I've been saving several different kinds of 2 and 3-socket
>armors and several 2-socket circlets for the right occasion. I have over a
>hundred stat points saved so str req is not an issue (although I know I
>don't want to go crazy with it!).

Depends on what you want. Plenty of options are possible, some more 'safe'
than others. My necro is currently wearing (with what he was wearing
before that in brackets) to give you an idea of possible gear: Ptopazed
Harlequin's Crest (PTopazed rare circlet type with +2 necro
skills/res-all), Enigma Archon Plate (PTopazed Skullder's Ire), Isted Arm
of King Leoric (Carin Shard), Homunculus (rare necro head, or something
like Lidless wall), Chance Guards gloves, Goldwrap belt, Marrowalks, rings
are one rare with +mana/res-all, and a magic one with res-all and some
added ene.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Patrick.

> PSkull? What does a merc need mana leech for? You should put in an Amn,
> preferably two Amns.

Damn, I have been away from this game a long time!

> Luckily you can unsocket the Bonehew using the cube (Hel + item + TP
> Scroll/book)

Looking for one now. Actually, gonna need two!

>>Should I wait until my nec is about lvl 80 before I venture into Hell?
>
> Err, why should you? What kind of necro is this? If it's a summoning
> necro, just go into Hell, it's quite doable, even at level 60. I think my
> first, and only, summoning necro this ladder went into Hell at around
> level 60, and finished the game at around level 75.
>
>>What Runewords would be good for him right now? I believe I can make
>>Smoke,
>>Stealth, Rhyme, Lore, Lionheart, and Honor (for my merc of course, but
>>haven't found the right polearm yet). Additionally, should I consider a
>>RuneWord or two for my merc?
>>
>>Also what armor types would be best for the aforementioned RuneWords if
>>used
>>on a Necro? I've been saving several different kinds of 2 and 3-socket
>>armors and several 2-socket circlets for the right occasion. I have over
>>hundred stat points saved so str req is not an issue (although I know I
>>don't want to go crazy with it!).
>
> Depends on what you want. Plenty of options are possible, some more 'safe'
> than others. My necro is currently wearing (with what he was wearing
> before that in brackets) to give you an idea of possible gear: Ptopazed
> Harlequin's Crest (PTopazed rare circlet type with +2 necro
> skills/res-all), Enigma Archon Plate (PTopazed Skullder's Ire), Isted Arm
> of King Leoric (Carin Shard), Homunculus (rare necro head, or something
> like Lidless wall), Chance Guards gloves, Goldwrap belt, Marrowalks, rings
> are one rare with +mana/res-all, and a magic one with res-all and some
> added ene.
>
>Hope this helps.

I hope my guy is lucky enough to find all this stuff eventually! Thanks for
the info!

In article <KYUve.10205$hK3.3312@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
David Simmons <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> PSkull? What does a merc need mana leech for? You should put in an Amn,
>> preferably two Amns.
>
>Damn, I have been away from this game a long time!

;) Well, I'd never have thought I'd use a PSkull in a weapon, but I did
put one in the Stormlash of my Fanatic Zealot: none of his other gear was
giving him mana leech, so it had to come from somewhere. Perhaps I'll
unsocket the Stormlash once I run in a very nice dual leech ring, but
until then, I like the PSkull. But it's useless for a merc. :)

>> Luckily you can unsocket the Bonehew using the cube (Hel + item + TP
>> Scroll/book)
>
>Looking for one now. Actually, gonna need two!

;)

>> Depends on what you want. Plenty of options are possible, some more 'safe'
>> than others. My necro is currently wearing (with what he was wearing
>> before that in brackets) to give you an idea of possible gear: Ptopazed
>> Harlequin's Crest (PTopazed rare circlet type with +2 necro
>> skills/res-all), Enigma Archon Plate (PTopazed Skullder's Ire), Isted Arm
>> of King Leoric (Carin Shard), Homunculus (rare necro head, or something
>> like Lidless wall), Chance Guards gloves, Goldwrap belt, Marrowalks, rings
>> are one rare with +mana/res-all, and a magic one with res-all and some
>> added ene.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>
>I hope my guy is lucky enough to find all this stuff eventually! Thanks for
>the info!

It was just to give you an idea.

Cheap (runeword) options for your necro or merc are:

Insight polearm for merc (the mana regen on that allows you to spam Bone
Spirits and CE's all day)

Spirit Sword for necro (nice +2 skills, mana, and some other goodies)

Lore hat (for necro, +1 skills cheaply, I used one at the start of the
ladder).

Perhaps Splendor in a nice necro head?

Anything with + skills is a good armor, but there are no cheap runewords
which do this, so try to find/trade for a nice unique (Skin of the
Vipermagi is nice for more safety, Skullder's Ire for more MF).

Regards,

Patrick.

Hi,

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in

> What Runewords would be good for him right now? I believe I can make
> Smoke, Stealth, Rhyme, Lore, Lionheart, and Honor (for my merc of
> course, but haven't found the right polearm yet). Additionally,
> should I consider a RuneWord or two for my merc?
>
> Also what armor types would be best for the aforementioned RuneWords
> if used on a Necro? I've been saving several different kinds of 2 and
> 3-socket armors and several 2-socket circlets for the right occasion.
> I have over a hundred stat points saved so str req is not an issue
> (although I know I don't want to go crazy with it!).

if you are interested, there's a patch to activate all runewords - the new
ones and all ladder ones - in SP. I use it since january without any
problems.

Insight, Obedience or Oath and Spirit all are very nice new runewords.

Regards,

Oliver

Yes but they disappear after you exit the game.

--
Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

David Simmons wrote:
> Thanks Gundemarie!
>
> That link to Britton's PDF files was exactly what I was looking for!

Yep, I have it printed and stapled and sitting right here on the desk next
to me. :) Indespensible.

I made a note on it early on next to Insight and Obedience in red saying
"NOT SPEARS" after a couple of friends made that mistake. Polearms only.
--
~misfit~