Wireless and hotels

Nicky

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

All,

A few posts ago someone asked the question about wireless compatibility,
response made perfect sense. I use a wireless network at home, and have all
the vendors security features turned on, but had another thought...

I've seen advertised in some hotels that they now offer wireless services.
Does anyone have any experience with using wireless in a hotel environment.
How does this work? Would I get setting/config info from the hotel? What
are the security implications?

Any info appreciated, as I'm looking to be educated.

Nicky <nick_no@spam@vla.com> wrote:
> I've seen advertised in some hotels that they now offer wireless services.
> Does anyone have any experience with using wireless in a hotel environment.
> How does this work? Would I get setting/config info from the hotel? What
> are the security implications?

I have used several. Some are free, quite a few cost $9.95 per day.
Some say nothing about security, implying to me that you are either behind
a NAT router and somewhat protected from the internet at large, or you are
exposed to the internet and they don't mention it.

The one connection that mentioned it at all offered a firewall or an open
connection. If you chose the firewall, you would not be able to run a VPN
back to your company.

In any case, you should have a firewall installed on your computer before
connecting to an unknown network.

You will almost certainly pick up a DHCP connection, and probably have to
do nothing on your computer, except launch a web browser, which is
redirected automatically to some login page.

The WiFi hotpsots have all been relatively painless to use. The most
obscure was AT&T in an airport, where I put in a credit card for payment,
and they sent an SMS message to my cellphone with an authorization code. I
don't know what that extra step is for. I suspect they only do that
because you can optionally charge it directly to a cellphone account, and
then the message going to the charged phone would make sense.

--
---

"Nicky" <nick_no@spam@vla.com> wrote in

> I've seen advertised in some hotels that they now offer wireless
> services. Does anyone have any experience with using wireless in a
> hotel environment. How does this work? Would I get setting/config
> info from the hotel? What are the security implications?

Usually the APs are open with no WEP key so if you're transferring any
sensitive data make sure you use encryption or run VPN software back to
your home/office.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)