Whaddya Think? (Easier to Read Version

Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2005 6:58:51 AM

What do you build mavens think of this setup? I think her and her merc die
too easily in Hell, but I suppose one would naturally think that. Since
building the Insight stick for the merc after finding a 4-socket thresher
(too bad it wasn't ethereal), they both seem to fare much better in Hell.
Highly recommended.

The build began as a Charged Bolt/Blizzard, and all points were devoted to
that until near the end of NM. The single point in Fire Mastery makes the
setup work in Hell as a viable tri-elementalist when the +10 from equipment
is added to everything. The points into Cold Mastery are also
unfortunately necessary in Hell. Every point in the Lightning tree is
required for this build to be useful in Hell, and even with all that,
without the +9 from equipment it is not very effective. So this Sorceress
is quite reliant upon equipment. It is worth noting, however, that this
character and build began and grew up as untwinked and unrushed. All the
items she has are those she alone has found (with the notable exception of
the two Stones of Jordan and the Annihilus charm, purchased in order to add
a crucial +3 to all skills), and all the runes used are also those she alone
has found.

She does have a pretty respectable Magic Finding equipment set for her and
her merc, and often goes looking for things, filling up several accounts of
mules with items of every color, all very neatly organized. Wondering what
I'm going to do with all this stuff. Heheh.

================================
Sorceress: Tri-Elementalist
================================

Name: Jehuquien
Level: 82
Title: Guardian
Current Location: Hell, Act V in progress

================================
Stats
================================
192 [155 hard] Strength
147 [110 hard] Dexterity
181 [125 hard] Vitality
77 [65 hard] Energy

45 Unused

================================
Spell Tree
================================

Lightning (+9 to All Skills)
--------------------------------
29 Charged Bolt (182-196 dam. x 24 bolts)
16 Lightning (4-2500 damage)
10 Chain Lightning
29 Lightning Mastery (+386% damage)
10 Static Field
10 Telekinesis
10 Teleport

Cold (+9 to All Skills)
--------------------------------
10 Ice Bolt
10 Ice Blast
10 Glacial Spike
10 Frost Nova
29 Blizzard (1213-1279 damage)
12 Cold Mastery (75% piercing)
10 Frozen Armor
10 Shiver Armor

Fire (+10 to All Skills)
--------------------------------
11 Fire Bolt
11 Fire Ball
11 Inferno
11 Blaze
11 Fire Wall
16 Meteor (1216-1326 damage)
11 Fire Mastery (+100% damage)

================================
Equipment
================================
Duriel's Shell Curiass [self-found]
Spirit Monarch (+2 to all skills) [self-made]
Spirit Long Sword (+2 to all skills) [self-made]
Magefist Battle Gauntlets (+1 to fire skills) [self-found]
Waterwalk Sharkskin Boots [self-found]
Credendum Mithril Coil (The Disciple Set Item) [self-found]
2 Stones of Jordan (+2 to all skills, total) [purchased, non-duped]
Chromatic Amulet (+25 Resist All) [self-found]
Arch-Angel's Coronet (+2 to all skills) [self-found, re-rolled]

================================
Inventory
================================
Annihilus [purchased]
Gheed's Fortune [self-found]
Miscellaneous Resistance Charms [self-found]

================================
Mercenary
================================
Act II NM Defensive (Frost)
1,707 life
2,464 defense
374-1678 damage, including poison
Shaftstop Mesh Armor (898 defense)
Blessed Hydraskull (348 defense)
Insight Thresher (50-490 damage)
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:42:35 PM

Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> What do you build mavens think of this setup?
/snip...

I think it's great that somebody's finally making an archmage.
I *love* them!

> Lightning (+9 to All Skills)
> --------------------------------
> 29 Charged Bolt (182-196 dam. x 24 bolts)
> 16 Lightning (4-2500 damage)
> 10 Chain Lightning
> 29 Lightning Mastery (+386% damage)
> 10 Static Field
> 10 Telekinesis
> 10 Teleport
>
> Cold (+9 to All Skills)
> --------------------------------
> 10 Ice Bolt
> 10 Ice Blast
> 10 Glacial Spike
> 10 Frost Nova
> 29 Blizzard (1213-1279 damage)
> 12 Cold Mastery (75% piercing)
> 10 Frozen Armor
> 10 Shiver Armor
>
> Fire (+10 to All Skills)
> --------------------------------
> 11 Fire Bolt
> 11 Fire Ball
> 11 Inferno
> 11 Blaze
> 11 Fire Wall
> 16 Meteor (1216-1326 damage)
> 11 Fire Mastery (+100% damage)

IMHO, you've got lightning (I'd probably use lightning more often than CB)
and cold trees covered, but meteor damage isn't that great, considering
that it's a timered spell (VERY irritating!) and pretty often monsters walk
right pass it unharmed or, at best, lightly scorched. That's why a fully
synergized meteor works fine, while a low-damage one isn't that useful
(again IMHO). Still, you can use it to waste occasional CI/LI.
It's a damn shame that +skills from equipment aren't calculated as
synergies.
"Stand-alone" spells like firewall or even hydra (for it's scouting
ability, if nothing else) would probably work better here.

Equipment seems fine. If you can get your hands on a Mara's or a decent +2
skills rare amulet, it would be great. And maybe an upped Vipermagi instead
of Duriel's.

Anyways, this was discussed couple of times before, and the consensus is
that tri-elementalists are always average power-wise, but pretty good
soloing characters.

--
Duergar
Anonymous

"Duergar" <duergar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What do you build mavens think of this setup?
> /snip...
>
> I think it's great that somebody's finally making an archmage.
> I *love* them!

Thanks. I love the class, too.

> [snip]
>
> IMHO, you've got lightning (I'd probably use lightning more often than CB)
> and cold trees covered, but meteor damage isn't that great, considering
> that it's a timered spell (VERY irritating!) and pretty often monsters
> walk
> right pass it unharmed or, at best, lightly scorched. That's why a fully
> synergized meteor works fine, while a low-damage one isn't that useful
> (again IMHO). Still, you can use it to waste occasional CI/LI.
> It's a damn shame that +skills from equipment aren't calculated as
> synergies.
> "Stand-alone" spells like firewall or even hydra (for it's scouting
> ability, if nothing else) would probably work better here.

That *is* a shame about synergies. But as for lightning, I can tell you
that the CB works much better for two reasons; first the minimum damage is
much greater, and second, it's almost an area-of-effect. If you are
standing toe to toe with the enemy and they get all 24 bolts, that's
182x24=4368 damage MINIMUM. Granted, you don't really WANT to be toe to toe
with this character, but it definitely gets the job done better than
lightning, and since it's area of effect, it also is more practical for a
non-melee character.

I rarely need to use Meteor, but with the merc keeping the lone LI/CI boss
occupied, Meteor works just dandy, even at this mediocre level.

> Equipment seems fine. If you can get your hands on a Mara's or a decent +2
> skills rare amulet, it would be great. And maybe an upped Vipermagi
> instead
> of Duriel's.

I'm dying to find a Mara's. :)

And I can't believe I haven't found a Skin of the Vipermagi, yet.

> Anyways, this was discussed couple of times before, and the consensus is
> that tri-elementalists are always average power-wise, but pretty good
> soloing characters.
>
> --
> Duergar

I was never a part of any of those discussions, and didn't know this had
been debated. Understandable then that there haven't been many responses.

You're right about the soloing. That's what I do, so it's natural, I guess.

Thanks for the insight.
!