Doh! Graphics market downer.

Referring to the "Doh! Graphics market downer." article on tomshardware home page.

Are people this dumb? HELLO! Maybe people don't wanna spend 300, 400 dollars for a video card!!!

It's like the RIAA and the lack of CD's... Hello stupid people? If the cd's weren't so expensive and if the music didn't suck people would buy them!

Same with video cards, who in there right friggen mind is gonna spend 400 dollars for a video card? Especially now. With christmas around the corner and money being pretty tight.

referring to this article here

"Doh! Graphics market downer.

The second quarter of the year is typically the slowest quarter for the PC industry. Thus, it comes as no surprise that overall shipments of graphics chips and integrated graphics chipsets (IGCs) have declined. Jon Peddie Research estimates that 39.75 million graphics devices shipped for all segments of the personal computer industry in the second quarter of 2002. This represents a 2.5% decrease from 40.79 million units shipped in Q1'02 and an 11.5% increase from 35.60 million units shipped in the same period the previous year

While the industry did not experience a radical decline in unit shipments in Q2'02, the period was disappointing to many companies in terms of revenues, profits, gross margin, and share price performance.

"Although overall graphics shipments declined predictably in Q2'02, individual segment performance was quite disparate," said Lisa Epstein, Senior Analyst, Jon Peddie Research. "As expected, shipments of desktop IGCs increased at the expense of discrete desktop solutions and somewhat surprisingly, shipments of discrete mobile controllers increased at the expense of mobile IGC units. The rapid adoption of the Pentium 4-M processor, for which Intel does not supply an IGC, helped drive the shift to discrete mobile controllers during the period."

The outlook for Q3'02 continues to be mixed as several suppliers, including ATI, point to ongoing softness in the PC market as an inhibitor to increased shipments of graphics in both the desktop and mobile segments. Despite the current climate, seven major graphics suppliers will be ramping new desktop GPU products in 2H'02, an unusual event even in the relatively consolidated graphics industry."

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 10/10/02 03:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
So you don't want to spend 300 - 400 dollars for a video card, neither do I. Some people, however, find the cash to blow. The market is down and the reasons why seem so obvious, but, as I learned in my economics class, some people can be slapped in the face with info and they still don't understand.

The point is, people ARE this dumb. I used to think dumb people were a minority, but it has become increasingly evident that smart people are the minority. It only seems like most people are smart, because smart people have relatively low contact with dumb people.

P.S.
dumb does not = ignorant or misinformed
dumb = stupid

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.

Smart people are the minority. I agree with you on that.

It drives me insane because groups like the RIAA actually beleive that cd sales are down because of the internet. ANd you got people like britney spears telling us not to steal music or whatever her spiel is that the RIAA told her to say. Bit ignore the fact that the music sucks and no one is buying cd's because money is tight.

Same with video cards. Especially video cards because they are 300 to 400 dollars which is insane!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

OLDSKOOL

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
If you use your P.C alot then why not?

After all some people spend more time on there P.C's then there car.. And people pay mega bucks for motors :-o

Depends if you have the money to blow. but 400 bucks is a lot of money to blow on a video card.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I've spent my fair share of money on video card upgrades. It's part of the learning curve. I built this system so I wouldn't have to. My CPU and Video card are fairly well matched which means that upgrading my CPU or my Vid card won't give me a noticeable increase in performance. This way I avoid upgrading needlessly. My next upgrade will be for an AGP 8x mobo with an AGP 8x vid card and a faster processor to match. But not for at least a year or two if I can use this system that long. Now if I'd bought a cheaper vid card I probably would upgrade it in a few months (to get more performance). Always build your system evenly to avoid having to upgrade needlessly. I hate seeing people with KT 333 mobos running PC 2100 Ram with a 2400XP processor matched with a GF4 MX vid card. That just starts an endless cycle of upgrading in my opinion.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
400 bucks aint nothing. Here in Finland (because of taxes) I´ll be paying 450 euros for the Hercules 9700Pro. The top notch GF4:s were about 550 € at their best.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Starwind

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
Well its like the PC market... Gateway, Dell all sell their high-end PCs $500+ more then what you can build yourself. If you make it yourself then you have all the retail boxes that come with 3+ year warrenties and still save half a grand or more.

and then the PC companies complain about people not buying their second computer from them. heh.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
It drives me insane because groups like the RIAA actually beleive that cd sales are down because of the internet. ANd you got people like britney spears telling us not to steal music or whatever her spiel is that the RIAA told her to say. Bit ignore the fact that the music sucks and no one is buying cd's because money is tight.
The record companies want you to spend $17 or more for a CD. If you only like one song on a CD wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to download that one song? You could then make a compilation CD with songs from other artists who only have one song you like.

The record companies have been gouging us for years. All they have to do is lower the prices and/or offer an alternative to full CDs.

In a few years we'll be watching "Where are they now" about Ms. Spears where she'll explain how she lost all of her money.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Well good news folks the ati 9500 is releasing (slower version of the 9500) Friday the 18th of october. The best part is ATI is aiming for a price tag of $179
. Thats squarely aimed at the value market nVIDIA better sweat now cause this the most important segement for profits. If ATI wins this segment they don't need to worry even if the nv30 is twice as fast as the r9700.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
But when NV30 is out they will probably seize the value market as well with a lower clocked NV30. Let´s just hope that they´ve learned from the whole GF4/GF4mx mess.

But then again, ATi has said that when the NV30 is out they will have something faster to offer. Or maybe they´re just spreading hype.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

OLDSKOOL

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
Is it just me or are you guys also finding it impossible to keep up to date on hardware?!?!?!?!?

Im building a rig at the mo and ive changed my mind so many times cause im waiting for some company to out do another one!!! Driving me mad !!!!!
I mean should i get the ati 9700pro or just overclock my ti 4400 and wait for the new nvdia... Xp 2600 or should i wait for hammer?!?!?!?

ill be still building the same rig in 2004 !!!!!!

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Yeah, it´s a bit frustating. But if you always keep waiting for the newest and brightest star you´ll never upgrade.

Save up some money, OC your 4400 and then when the NV30 hits the shelves in a few months get that along with a XP2600 (if you feel that the TI4400 ain´t cutting it for you).

TRENDING THREADS