missing floppy drive

I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint letter
I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.

A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension 2300 series computer.
It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had some problems with it near the end of the
warranty period. Dell elected to replace the computer rather than fix it.
I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the replacement. The replacement
computer had a CD Burner (something the old one didn't have) but it didn't
have a floppy drive.

I have been round and round with customer service for months now by phone.
I want Dell to provide me with a floppy drive because my original computer
had one in it. It's my thought that they should provide me with all of the
same equipment that was on the original computer, and if they want to give
something extra (like the CD Burner) that's just fine. Problem is that
nobody in India can understand that at the time I ordered that Dell
Dimension 2300, floppy drives just came with the computer -- you didn't
think of them as extra, add on equipment. According to Dell's records, it
doesn't mention that the computer had a floppy drive.

I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and compared it to the
2400. The user guide for the 2300 explains to the user how to remove a
floppy drive (as in remove it and replace it with something else or a new
one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a floppy drive.

Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it well so I have a shot
at getting that floppy drive without paying for a floppy drive kit +
shipping?

Linda

"Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint
>letter I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.
>
> A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension 2300 series
> computer. It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had some problems with it near
> the end of the warranty period. Dell elected to replace the computer
> rather than fix it. I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the
> replacement. The replacement computer had a CD Burner (something the old
> one didn't have) but it didn't have a floppy drive.
>
> I have been round and round with customer service for months now by phone.
> I want Dell to provide me with a floppy drive because my original computer
> had one in it. It's my thought that they should provide me with all of
> the same equipment that was on the original computer, and if they want to
> give something extra (like the CD Burner) that's just fine. Problem is
> that nobody in India can understand that at the time I ordered that Dell
> Dimension 2300, floppy drives just came with the computer -- you didn't
> think of them as extra, add on equipment. According to Dell's records, it
> doesn't mention that the computer had a floppy drive.
>
> I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and compared it to the
> 2400. The user guide for the 2300 explains to the user how to remove a
> floppy drive (as in remove it and replace it with something else or a new
> one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a floppy drive.
>
> Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it well so I have a
> shot at getting that floppy drive without paying for a floppy drive kit +
> shipping?
>
> Linda

a floppy drive is only a few quid/bucks just go buy one.............after
all you got the cd drive for nowt. Seems a lot of hassle fer nowt.

The problem with a 3rd party floppy is the floppy mounting.
That said,
have you still got the service tag for the 2300? If you go
to Dell
support you will be able to get the as shipped
configuration.
Also if you still have your packing slip/invoice it should
be listed there.

"Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in
> message
>>I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for
>>a complaint letter I am crafting to send to Dell in Round
>>Rock, TX.
>>
>> A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension
>> 2300 series computer. It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had
>> some problems with it near the end of the warranty
>> period. Dell elected to replace the computer rather than
>> fix it. I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the
>> replacement. The replacement computer had a CD Burner
>> (something the old one didn't have) but it didn't have a
>> floppy drive.
>>
>> I have been round and round with customer service for
>> months now by phone. I want Dell to provide me with a
>> floppy drive because my original computer had one in it.
>> It's my thought that they should provide me with all of
>> the same equipment that was on the original computer, and
>> if they want to give something extra (like the CD Burner)
>> that's just fine. Problem is that nobody in India can
>> understand that at the time I ordered that Dell Dimension
>> 2300, floppy drives just came with the computer -- you
>> didn't think of them as extra, add on equipment.
>> According to Dell's records, it doesn't mention that the
>> computer had a floppy drive.
>>
>> I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and
>> compared it to the 2400. The user guide for the 2300
>> explains to the user how to remove a floppy drive (as in
>> remove it and replace it with something else or a new
>> one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a
>> floppy drive.
>>
>> Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it
>> well so I have a shot at getting that floppy drive
>> without paying for a floppy drive kit + shipping?
>>
>> Linda
>>

> a floppy drive is only a few quid/bucks just go buy
> one.............after all you got the cd drive for nowt.
> Seems a lot of hassle fer nowt.

It's the principle of the thing. The computer they sent me has a faceplate
for a floppy which requires a faceless floppy drive. I purchased a floppy
drive, but now I need brackets. I don't think I should have to spend any
money on this issue whenthe principle and the agreement says that they will
replace the failed computer with one that is at least as good as the old
one.

Linda

Linda Burnside wrote:
> It's the principle of the thing. The computer they sent me has a faceplate
> for a floppy which requires a faceless floppy drive. I purchased a floppy
> drive, but now I need brackets. I don't think I should have to spend any
> money on this issue whenthe principle and the agreement says that they will
> replace the failed computer with one that is at least as good as the old
> one.

It is all in the eyes of the beholder. Floppy disk drives
have become quite passe and getting the CD burner is more
than an equal replacement. Instead of spending a penny more
for an option that is fast disappearing, use the savings to
invest in USB pen or jump drives.

> It's the principle of the thing. The computer they sent me has a
> faceplate for a floppy which requires a faceless floppy drive. I
> purchased a floppy drive, but now I need brackets. I don't think I should
> have to spend any money on this issue whenthe principle and the agreement
> says that they will replace the failed computer with one that is at least
> as good as the old one.
>
> Linda

I agree, it is the principle - but that verses wasted time on the phone and
the time lost *waiting* for the drive, I'd buckle and chalk it up as a
lesson learned. Also, you at least did get a small system upgrade.

http://tinyurl.com/8fnx4

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>> It's the principle of the thing. The computer they sent me has a
>> faceplate for a floppy which requires a faceless floppy drive. I
>> purchased a floppy drive, but now I need brackets. I don't think I
>> should have to spend any money on this issue whenthe principle and the
>> agreement says that they will replace the failed computer with one that
>> is at least as good as the old one.
>>
>> Linda
>>

> I agree, it is the principle - but that verses wasted time on the phone
> and the time lost *waiting* for the drive, I'd buckle and chalk it up as a
> lesson learned. Also, you at least did get a small system upgrade.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8fnx4
>

> Stew

Whoops. "verses" "versus" whatever it takes :)

I wish I had the original packing slip/invoice. I did have the original
service tag number. According to Dell's record, there's no mention of a
floppy drive, but I think that's only because it was assumed. It was
definitely there, and I definitely used it.

Linda

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The problem with a 3rd party floppy is the floppy mounting. That said,
> have you still got the service tag for the 2300? If you go to Dell
> support you will be able to get the as shipped configuration.
> Also if you still have your packing slip/invoice it should
> be listed there.
>
> "Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>>>I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint
>>>letter I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.
>>>
>>> A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension 2300 series
>>> computer. It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had some problems with it near
>>> the end of the warranty period. Dell elected to replace the computer
>>> rather than fix it. I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the
>>> replacement. The replacement computer had a CD Burner (something the
>>> old one didn't have) but it didn't have a floppy drive.
>>>
>>> I have been round and round with customer service for months now by
>>> phone. I want Dell to provide me with a floppy drive because my original
>>> computer had one in it. It's my thought that they should provide me with
>>> all of the same equipment that was on the original computer, and if they
>>> want to give something extra (like the CD Burner) that's just fine.
>>> Problem is that nobody in India can understand that at the time I
>>> ordered that Dell Dimension 2300, floppy drives just came with the
>>> computer -- you didn't think of them as extra, add on equipment.
>>> According to Dell's records, it doesn't mention that the computer had a
>>> floppy drive.
>>>
>>> I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and compared it to the
>>> 2400. The user guide for the 2300 explains to the user how to remove a
>>> floppy drive (as in remove it and replace it with something else or a
>>> new one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a floppy
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it well so I have a
>>> shot at getting that floppy drive without paying for a floppy drive kit
>>> + shipping?
>>>
>>> Linda
>>>

>> a floppy drive is only a few quid/bucks just go buy one.............after
>> all you got the cd drive for nowt. Seems a lot of hassle fer nowt.

If you go here and enter the service tag you can see for
yourself.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

"Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in
message news:KQPJe.273$fk6.109@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>I wish I had the original packing slip/invoice. I did have
>the original service tag number. According to Dell's
>record, there's no mention of a floppy drive, but I think
>that's only because it was assumed. It was definitely
>there, and I definitely used it.
>
> Linda
>
> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> The problem with a 3rd party floppy is the floppy
>> mounting. That said,
>> have you still got the service tag for the 2300? If you
>> go to Dell
>> support you will be able to get the as shipped
>> configuration.
>> Also if you still have your packing slip/invoice it
>> should
>> be listed there.
>>
>> "Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in
>>> message

>>> a floppy drive is only a few quid/bucks just go buy
>>> one.............after all you got the cd drive for nowt.
>>> Seems a lot of hassle fer nowt.

Last week, I inherited an older computer which was infected with viruses. I
wiped it clean and proceeded to reinstall windows 98 on that old computer.
I can't get the CD ROM to work -- need to get drivers for it. I have to put
the CD ROM drivers on a floppy. I don't have a floppy drive in my computer
which is hooked up to the internet.

I was just trying to help a friend who doesn't have a computer.

Lidna

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Linda Burnside wrote:
>> It's the principle of the thing. The computer they sent me has a
>> faceplate for a floppy which requires a faceless floppy drive. I
>> purchased a floppy drive, but now I need brackets. I don't think I
>> should have to spend any money on this issue whenthe principle and the
>> agreement says that they will replace the failed computer with one that
>> is at least as good as the old one.
>>

> It is all in the eyes of the beholder. Floppy disk drives
> have become quite passe and getting the CD burner is more
> than an equal replacement. Instead of spending a penny more
> for an option that is fast disappearing, use the savings to
> invest in USB pen or jump drives.

Unfortunately, although I can look up the original service tag, there is no
detail provided. The configuration for the replacement computer is
available.

> If you go here and enter the service tag you can see for yourself.
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>
> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>>I wish I had the original packing slip/invoice. I did have the original
>>service tag number. According to Dell's record, there's no mention of a
>>floppy drive, but I think that's only because it was assumed. It was
>>definitely there, and I definitely used it.
>>
>> Linda
>>
>> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> The problem with a 3rd party floppy is the floppy mounting. That said,
>>> have you still got the service tag for the 2300? If you go to Dell
>>> support you will be able to get the as shipped configuration.
>>> Also if you still have your packing slip/invoice it should
>>> be listed there.
>>>
>>> "Glittery Gary" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message

Bummer. OOL I guess.

"Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in
message news:m4QJe.278$fk6.124@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> Unfortunately, although I can look up the original service
> tag, there is no detail provided. The configuration for
> the replacement computer is available.
>
> Linda
>
> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> If you go here and enter the service tag you can see for
>> yourself.
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>>
>> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in
>> message
>>>I wish I had the original packing slip/invoice. I did
>>>have the original service tag number. According to
>>>Dell's record, there's no mention of a floppy drive, but
>>>I think that's only because it was assumed. It was
>>>definitely there, and I definitely used it.
>>>
>>> Linda
>>>
>>> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

I can feel the frustration in your post. And, yes, I agree with you that it
is the principle of the thing that is the point here. Take a picture of the
system with a digital camera, showing the offending floppy drive, and then
call Dell and go online while on the phone with them. Send them the picture
of the computer. Insist on getting a floppy drive for it.

Have you spoken with a manager or supervisor? One path to take is to call
the guys in sales and explain to them that you are getting the run-around.
This has worked for a couple of friends. The sales guy calls the service
guys and chews them out and the service guys call you back willing to do
anything to keep from getting another ass chewing. Try it.

> Bummer. OOL I guess.
>

> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>> Unfortunately, although I can look up the original service tag, there is
>> no detail provided. The configuration for the replacement computer is
>> available.
>>
>> Linda
>>
>> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> If you go here and enter the service tag you can see for yourself.
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
>>>
>>> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message

I returned the old computer, so I can't take a picture of it. Wish I could.

Thanks.

Linda

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I can feel the frustration in your post. And, yes, I agree with you that
>it is the principle of the thing that is the point here. Take a picture of
>the system with a digital camera, showing the offending floppy drive, and
>then call Dell and go online while on the phone with them. Send them the
>picture of the computer. Insist on getting a floppy drive for it.
>
> Have you spoken with a manager or supervisor? One path to take is to call
> the guys in sales and explain to them that you are getting the run-around.
> This has worked for a couple of friends. The sales guy calls the service
> guys and chews them out and the service guys call you back willing to do
> anything to keep from getting another ass chewing. Try it.
>
> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Bummer. OOL I guess.
>>

>> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately, although I can look up the original service tag, there is
>>> no detail provided. The configuration for the replacement computer is
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Linda
>>>
>>> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

So you got to use the 2300 for a couple of years and then Dell sent you a
refurb 2400 because they couldn't fix/replace a floppy drive? For God
sakes! You got a great deal. Stop complaining/worrying about the stinkin'
floppy and just order one from them. You'll still be way ahead in the deal.

Geez, you're hard to please!

"Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
> I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint
letter
> I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.
>
> A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension 2300 series
computer.
> It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had some problems with it near the end of
the
> warranty period. Dell elected to replace the computer rather than fix it.
> I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the replacement. The replacement
> computer had a CD Burner (something the old one didn't have) but it didn't
> have a floppy drive.
>
> I have been round and round with customer service for months now by phone.
> I want Dell to provide me with a floppy drive because my original computer
> had one in it. It's my thought that they should provide me with all of
the
> same equipment that was on the original computer, and if they want to give
> something extra (like the CD Burner) that's just fine. Problem is that
> nobody in India can understand that at the time I ordered that Dell
> Dimension 2300, floppy drives just came with the computer -- you didn't
> think of them as extra, add on equipment. According to Dell's records, it
> doesn't mention that the computer had a floppy drive.
>
> I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and compared it to the
> 2400. The user guide for the 2300 explains to the user how to remove a
> floppy drive (as in remove it and replace it with something else or a new
> one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a floppy drive.
>
> Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it well so I have a
shot
> at getting that floppy drive without paying for a floppy drive kit +
> shipping?
>
> Linda

HELLO! The reason Dell replaced the 2300 system was because THE FLOPPY
DRIVE FAILED. Doesn't that indicate THE OLD SYSTEM HAD A FLOPPY DRIVE?

> I returned the old computer, so I can't take a picture of it. Wish I
could.

> Thanks.
>
> Linda
>
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I can feel the frustration in your post. And, yes, I agree with you that
> >it is the principle of the thing that is the point here. Take a picture
of
> >the system with a digital camera, showing the offending floppy drive, and
> >then call Dell and go online while on the phone with them. Send them the
> >picture of the computer. Insist on getting a floppy drive for it.
> >
> > Have you spoken with a manager or supervisor? One path to take is to
call
> > the guys in sales and explain to them that you are getting the
run-around.
> > This has worked for a couple of friends. The sales guy calls the
service
> > guys and chews them out and the service guys call you back willing to do
> > anything to keep from getting another ass chewing. Try it.
> >
> > "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Bummer. OOL I guess.
> >>

> >> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

> Last week, I inherited an older computer which was infected with viruses. I
> wiped it clean and proceeded to reinstall windows 98 on that old computer.
> I can't get the CD ROM to work -- need to get drivers for it. I have to put
> the CD ROM drivers on a floppy. I don't have a floppy drive in my computer
> which is hooked up to the internet.

Dumb question - *how* old is it - back in about 1994-1996 CD drives were
fairly proprietry items, and some had specific controller cards. IIRC I
had a soundblaster card that had its own CD controller onboard, but also
supported IDE drives as well as its own proprietry drive.

If that`s the case, give up now, and get a new IDE CD drive.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:46:45 GMT, "Linda Burnside"
<linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote:

>I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint letter
>I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.

You might try the Better Businesses Bureau. Also, you might try the
column in PC World, "On your side"

--

You know what to do: shdb at slip dot net

Glittery Gary wrote:

<snip>

> a floppy drive is only a few quid/bucks just go buy one.............after
> all you got the cd drive for nowt. Seems a lot of hassle fer nowt.

Agreed - a USB floppy would also do the trick, plus it's portable from
machine to machine. (I'm assuming, of course, that the 2300 supports USB)

Linda Burnside wrote:

> It's the principle of the thing.

It's this kind of thinking that leads to ulcers and schoolyard
shootings. Why not focus on solving your problem and not forcing Dell to
do what they're *supposed* to do?

<serious post, not intended as a flame>

"Spurticus" <Spurticus@BitBucket.com> wrote in message
> So you got to use the 2300 for a couple of years and then Dell sent you a
> refurb 2400 because they couldn't fix/replace a floppy drive? For God
> sakes! You got a great deal. Stop complaining/worrying about the
> stinkin'
> floppy and just order one from them. You'll still be way ahead in the
> deal.
>
> Geez, you're hard to please!
>
> "Linda Burnside" <linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote in message
>> I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint
> letter
>> I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.
>>
>> A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension 2300 series
> computer.
>> It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had some problems with it near the end of
> the
>> warranty period. Dell elected to replace the computer rather than fix
>> it.
>> I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the replacement. The replacement
>> computer had a CD Burner (something the old one didn't have) but it
>> didn't
>> have a floppy drive.
>>
>> I have been round and round with customer service for months now by
>> phone.
>> I want Dell to provide me with a floppy drive because my original
>> computer
>> had one in it. It's my thought that they should provide me with all of
> the
>> same equipment that was on the original computer, and if they want to
>> give
>> something extra (like the CD Burner) that's just fine. Problem is that
>> nobody in India can understand that at the time I ordered that Dell
>> Dimension 2300, floppy drives just came with the computer -- you didn't
>> think of them as extra, add on equipment. According to Dell's records,
>> it
>> doesn't mention that the computer had a floppy drive.
>>
>> I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and compared it to the
>> 2400. The user guide for the 2300 explains to the user how to remove a
>> floppy drive (as in remove it and replace it with something else or a new
>> one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a floppy drive.
>>
>> Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it well so I have a
> shot
>> at getting that floppy drive without paying for a floppy drive kit +
>> shipping?
>>
>> Linda

well said, a waste of valuable space here..............I'd say a tight arse
as well.

Windows 98 does not need any CD-ROM device drivers if the drive is a standard
ATAPI/IDE or SCSI drive. Something went wrong with the install if the CD-ROM
drive no longer works. It DID work when you installed Windows 98, right?

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:17:49 GMT, "Linda Burnside"
<linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote:

>Last week, I inherited an older computer which was infected with viruses. I
>wiped it clean and proceeded to reinstall windows 98 on that old computer.
>I can't get the CD ROM to work -- need to get drivers for it. I have to put
>the CD ROM drivers on a floppy. I don't have a floppy drive in my computer
>which is hooked up to the internet.
>
>I was just trying to help a friend who doesn't have a computer.
>
>Lidna
>
>"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
>>
>> Linda Burnside wrote:
>>> It's the principle of the thing. The computer they sent me has a
>>> faceplate for a floppy which requires a faceless floppy drive. I
>>> purchased a floppy drive, but now I need brackets. I don't think I
>>> should have to spend any money on this issue whenthe principle and the
>>> agreement says that they will replace the failed computer with one that
>>> is at least as good as the old one.
>>>

>> It is all in the eyes of the beholder. Floppy disk drives
>> have become quite passe and getting the CD burner is more
>> than an equal replacement. Instead of spending a penny more
>> for an option that is fast disappearing, use the savings to
>> invest in USB pen or jump drives.

Well, when Dell replaced your 2300 with a 2400, you got a faster and more
capable computer with CD burner instead of a vanilla CD-ROM drive. Frankly, the
added features of the 2400 more than compensate for the $25 or so you might pay
for either a USB floppy drive or an internal drive kit for the 2400. You would
pay $25 alone for a decent CD burner.

So much for the principle of the thing... Ben Myers

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:46:45 GMT, "Linda Burnside"
<linda@nospam_burnsidebiz.com> wrote:

>I need some help with documentation/suggested wording for a complaint letter
>I am crafting to send to Dell in Round Rock, TX.
>
>A couple of years ago, I ordered a new Dell Dimension 2300 series computer.
>It had a 3.5" floppy drive. I had some problems with it near the end of the
>warranty period. Dell elected to replace the computer rather than fix it.
>I received a new Dell Dimension 2400 as the replacement. The replacement
>computer had a CD Burner (something the old one didn't have) but it didn't
>have a floppy drive.
>
>I have been round and round with customer service for months now by phone.
>I want Dell to provide me with a floppy drive because my original computer
>had one in it. It's my thought that they should provide me with all of the
>same equipment that was on the original computer, and if they want to give
>something extra (like the CD Burner) that's just fine. Problem is that
>nobody in India can understand that at the time I ordered that Dell
>Dimension 2300, floppy drives just came with the computer -- you didn't
>think of them as extra, add on equipment. According to Dell's records, it
>doesn't mention that the computer had a floppy drive.
>
>I examined the online documentation for the 2300 and compared it to the
>2400. The user guide for the 2300 explains to the user how to remove a
>floppy drive (as in remove it and replace it with something else or a new
>one). The user guide for the 2400 explains how to add a floppy drive.
>
>Is there anybody else out there who can help me say it well so I have a shot
>at getting that floppy drive without paying for a floppy drive kit +
>shipping?
>
>Linda

I have neither ulcers nor plan to shoot anybody -- Because I place the
emphasis of right and wrong and boundaries where they belong (Dell should
give me a CD Rom and I'm just not giving up on the idea) I don't have those
issues.

Did I say I was stressed out? Cuz I'm not. I was asking for assistance
with a specific problem.

Linda
"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> Linda Burnside wrote:
>
>> It's the principle of the thing.
>
> It's this kind of thinking that leads to ulcers and schoolyard shootings.
> Why not focus on solving your problem and not forcing Dell to do what
> they're *supposed* to do?
>
> <serious post, not intended as a flame>

oops - they should give me a 3.5" drive (not the CD rom)