Linksys WPC54G and W2K ?

I have some difficulties with a WPC54G under W2K Professional, and a WAG54G.
In short, the connection of the laptop to the WAG54G is lost quite easily
when the laptop is (not too far) away from the WAG (the signal is reported
to be good). No problem one meter away from the WAG.

After the signal is lost, no way that the WPC will reconnect spontaneously;
it is even very difficult to get it to reconnect - reboot might not help,
reset of the WAG might help, etc.

After many, many trials, tuning (along with Linksys support in France), they
believe the card is defective - my vendor exchanged it, but the new one
behaves similarly. I tried the same (first) WPC card on another laptop (a
Sony, mine is a DELL) running also W2K SP4 - similar results.

So... Does anyone here have a solution ?

Thanks in advance...

Gilbert

"Myllena" <ipia@free.fr> wrote in

> I have some difficulties with a WPC54G under W2K Professional, and a
> WAG54G. In short, the connection of the laptop to the WAG54G is lost
> quite easily when the laptop is (not too far) away from the WAG (the
> signal is reported to be good). No problem one meter away from the
> WAG.
>
> After the signal is lost, no way that the WPC will reconnect
> spontaneously; it is even very difficult to get it to reconnect -
> reboot might not help, reset of the WAG might help, etc.
>
> After many, many trials, tuning (along with Linksys support in
> France), they believe the card is defective - my vendor exchanged it,
> but the new one behaves similarly. I tried the same (first) WPC card
> on another laptop (a Sony, mine is a DELL) running also W2K SP4 -
> similar results.
>
> So... Does anyone here have a solution ?

There is a WinXP bug associated with this problem (it may also apply to
Win2k): 828940

There is supposedly a hotfix, but you have to request it, which I just
did in a post on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (news.microsoft.com).
You can probably call or email MS as well, but they have service limits
(e.g., two free emails).