This is the way to cool the 9700Pro

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
To those who haven´t yet checked this.
These guys are somewhat known over here in Finland for their extreme cooling, but the this combined with the Radeon 9700Pro, sweet.

<A HREF="http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cooling/r300_ln2/index.phtml" target="_new">http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cooling/r300_ln2/index.phtml</A>

The same site also posted news (in finnish) that the NV30 launch at Comdex is confirmed. This just as a sidenote, I understood that THG only reported about rumours concerning this.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
A little excessive perhaps, but i definatly think that GPU cooling units have to get bigger soon, that first PCI slot is going to have to go.

<b>Plaid will NEVER go out of style! :cool: </b>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Way excessive, but no one would run their board like this normally. That was just for testing and OC´ing.

Maybe mobo makers should start considering that current 3D monsters need a big cooler with a efficient fan and thus leave more space between the AGP- and the closest PCI-slot.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
If I was going to extreme cool an R9700 Pro, I'd water cool both the GPU (front and back) and memory. Freeze cooling is impractical if you want to use it for something like a LAN party (with the possible exception of a well designed peltier system).

Greeny

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OMG that is friggin' hilarious!!! You see the frost on that sucker??? LOL, that's brilliant... Turn the mainboard and GPU into a popsicle. Shoulda got a pic with buddy's tongue stuck to the back of the vid card. I like the hot glue holding the memory heat sinks too... What a way to treat $500 video card. Must be a Finnish thing...

Anyway, what's so impractical about it? That setup takes less desktop space than my monster CPU, is probably a hella lot quieter and way easier to transport. All you needs is a few styrofoam cups, copper pipes and some liquid nitrogen. Impractical my eye...

Jeebus...

:)

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Don´t forget that you have to keep adding the nitrogen every few minutes, it goes up as a cload pretty fast. But the frost on the back is pretty nice, no doubt.

Why do you people keep saying it would be impractical to use for a long while, duuhh! This is just for braking records (which is currently held by hoolicho, 21k and over!).

According to my chemist-teacher liquid oxygen would be even better, it´s cooler in it´s liquid state (over -200), of course it would return to it´s gas form faster too.

And by the way, DON´T TRY THIS AT HOME. -196 degrees celsius means that if you drop some on your fingers, you can brake them of with no effort.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Really? Wow. How big of an explosion?
Why does liquid oxygen explode while "regular" oxygen works well in a electric enviroment. Chemistry is fun :)

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Normal oxygen is flammable or we would have never started a fire. Search on google for liquid oxygen flammable I'm sure you'll get a "couple" hits. There's hydrogen in the air to but it doesn't explode and NASA uses it and oxygen to get the shuttle on the moon, it's called concentration levels.

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek:

EvilHammie

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Hmf. lot better things than liquid oxygen around. Take liquid Hydrogen or Helium.
Problemis if you use helium your chip will be so cold it will probably start superconducting, cauzing it to stop working.

<b>Small.Cute.Fluffy.Evil. But looks so cute attached to your leg smiling up at you! :smile: </b>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
In Finland all you should need to do is put your comp outside, that should cool it as well as anything.

hehe

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Liquid hydrogen is alittle higher on my list than oxygen of things never to do.
Lmfao didn't you guys see the challenger, Need Another Seven Astronauts, oh and one computer/house/family.

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek: