Mephisto and MF

Mephisto is a classic, who doesnt go mfing there. people are also always
saying that the more mf the better.
i tried it out. i had 713 mf and was mfing mephisto for 2 days getting only
low set items and weak uniques if any. i took off a whole bunch of mf and
went to 323. immediately the thing dropped a stormshield. anyone else seem
to do better with less mf or more?

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Vorp" <seryph07@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mephisto is a classic, who doesnt go mfing there. people are also always
> saying that the more mf the better.
> i tried it out. i had 713 mf and was mfing mephisto for 2 days getting
> only
> low set items and weak uniques if any. i took off a whole bunch of mf and
> went to 323. immediately the thing dropped a stormshield. anyone else seem
> to do better with less mf or more?

Mf has diminishing returns after 300%.
http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/magic-find.shtml You can read more
about it there. GL

--
In a World full of Insanity,
Here I Stand.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

> Sliver wrote:
>
>>"Vorp" <seryph07@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Mephisto is a classic, who doesnt go mfing there. people are also
>>>always saying that the more mf the better.
>>>i tried it out. i had 713 mf and was mfing mephisto for 2 days
>>>getting only
>>>low set items and weak uniques if any. i took off a whole bunch of
>>>mf and went to 323. immediately the thing dropped a stormshield.
>>>anyone else seem to do better with less mf or more?
>>
>>Mf has diminishing returns after 300%.
>>http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/magic-find.shtml You can
>>read more about it there. GL

Diminishing returns doesn't explain a good drop with lower MF.
Diminishing returns means that every % point in MF doesn't actually
equate to true increases, beyond a certain amount. Also, I understand
diminishing returns to mean that you kill less effectively, so over
time, you have lower MF.

I think the stormshield drop on 323 MF was just luck. I have a sorc that
only has around 200MF and I have had some great drops even on NM Baal or
Hell Pit.

Try out http://tinyurl.com/243fx (or
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropcalc/dropcalc.php?lang=en&patch=110&mode=lod&interface=default&window=true
if you are allergic to tiny urls).

Looking up a stormshield drop, either with 713 or 323 MF shows that it
comes once every >800 drops with Mephisto.

As I stated in another post, it's unclear how the numbers for these
calculators are determined - garbage in, garbage out. It says on the
page that this drop calculator isn't updated for 1.10, so I'd assume
that it's based on reverse-engineering of the executable code. I can't
imagine the stats are calculated empirically.

Here are the abridged outputs of the calculator for each of the two MF
values mentioned, looking up a Stormshield (bottom of the calculator page):

----

Monstertype: Special Monster
Difficulty: Hell
Magic Find: 717%
Player Bonus: 1

Item: Stormshield (qlvl 77)
Basisitem: Monarch (qlvl 72)

Monster Chance Relation
Diablo (Quest) 0.2206383% 1:453
Baal (Quest) 0.2181181% 1:458
Mephisto (Quest) 0.1867195% 1:536
Diablo 0.1459509% 1:685
Baal 0.1445117% 1:692
Mephisto 0.1235573% 1:809

----

Monstertype: Special Monster
Difficulty: Hell
Magic Find: 323%
Player Bonus: 1

Item: Stormshield (qlvl 77)
Basisitem: Monarch (qlvl 72)

Monster Chance Relation
Diablo (Quest) 0.1856106% 1:539
Baal (Quest) 0.1837545% 1:544
Mephisto (Quest) 0.1573007% 1:636
Diablo 0.12283% 1:814
Baal 0.1216655% 1:822
Mephisto 0.1040404% 1:961

this helps me a lot, i never actually understood how mf works, thanks.
i hate mephing, really baal drops much better, mephisto is so much more
accessible.

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sliver wrote:
>>
>>>"Vorp" <seryph07@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Mf has diminishing returns after 300%.
>>>http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/magic-find.shtml You can
>>>read more about it there. GL
>
> Diminishing returns doesn't explain a good drop with lower MF. Diminishing
> returns means that every % point in MF doesn't actually equate to true
> increases, beyond a certain amount. Also, I understand diminishing returns
> to mean that you kill less effectively, so over time, you have lower MF.
>
> I think the stormshield drop on 323 MF was just luck. I have a sorc that
> only has around 200MF and I have had some great drops even on NM Baal or
> Hell Pit.
>
> Try out http://tinyurl.com/243fx (or
> http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropcalc/dropcalc.php?lang=en&patch=110&mode=lod&interface=default&window=true
> if you are allergic to tiny urls).
>
> Looking up a stormshield drop, either with 713 or 323 MF shows that it
> comes once every >800 drops with Mephisto.
>
> As I stated in another post, it's unclear how the numbers for these
> calculators are determined - garbage in, garbage out. It says on the page
> that this drop calculator isn't updated for 1.10, so I'd assume that it's
> based on reverse-engineering of the executable code. I can't imagine the
> stats are calculated empirically.
<snip>

You doubt Jarulf??? BLASPHEMY! May all your drops be Isenharts!!! 8D

--
In a World full of Insanity
Here I Stand.

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message

> Try out http://tinyurl.com/243fx (or

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropcalc/dropcalc.php?lang=en&patch=110&mode=lod&interface=default&window=true
> if you are allergic to tiny urls).
> As I stated in another post, it's unclear how the numbers for these
> calculators are determined - garbage in, garbage out. It says on the
> page that this drop calculator isn't updated for 1.10, so I'd assume
> that it's based on reverse-engineering of the executable code. I can't
> imagine the stats are calculated empirically.

I had a look at that site & on it states "Some SuperUnique-Monsters appear
in the .mpq files".
I assume this to mean that the drop-rates are specified in the mpq files?

....If so... then shouldn't it be possible to change drop rates for bNet play
by modifying your mpq's and increasing the base drop-rate for all items?

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

In article <E99ye.107542$Vj3.58877@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:

>I had a look at that site & on it states "Some SuperUnique-Monsters appear
>in the .mpq files".
>I assume this to mean that the drop-rates are specified in the mpq files?

Yes, for SP play, and perhaps also for Open B.Net. However ...

>...If so... then shouldn't it be possible to change drop rates for bNet play
>by modifying your mpq's and increasing the base drop-rate for all items?

Drop rates for Closed B.Net is entirely determined by the B.Net servers,
not in any way by the local game.

Which is probably why even the 'updated-for-1.10' drop calculators
_assume_ the closed B.Net servers behave exactly like 1.10 SP. _If_ any
drop-rate tuning has been done on Blizzard's servers, the only way you're
going to find out is to try to determine it statistically. ;)

Regards,

Patrick.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Vorp wrote:
> Mephisto is a classic, who doesnt go mfing there. people are also always
> saying that the more mf the better.
> i tried it out. i had 713 mf and was mfing mephisto for 2 days getting only
> low set items and weak uniques if any. i took off a whole bunch of mf and
> went to 323. immediately the thing dropped a stormshield. anyone else seem
> to do better with less mf or more?

Bah! I disdain MF. I've got wealth armor. That's all the MF I need.

Seriously though, almost every time the game has dropped something
worth mentioning, it was during "normal" play (less than 50 mf on), and
it was never a boss that dropped it - always a chest, or a champion,
fanatic, etc...

-Jason

ok this is becoming insane, people swear their life on the fact that the
more people are in the game, the more and better drops. i just laughed. this
is untrue right?

On 5-Jul-2005, "Vorp" <seryph07@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ok this is becoming insane, people swear their life on the fact that the
> more people are in the game, the more and better drops. i just laughed.
> this
> is untrue right?

Partially. There will be more items dropped, the 'better' depends on who
does the killing and what mf they have.
So, actually, no, there are not better drops just from more people, but
there are more items dropping (therefore, in some minds, you have more
_chances_ of getting better stuff).
--
Not 1337.

On 5 Jul 2005 14:50:42 -0700, "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Vorp wrote:
>> Mephisto is a classic, who doesnt go mfing there. people are also always
>> saying that the more mf the better.
>> i tried it out. i had 713 mf and was mfing mephisto for 2 days getting only
>> low set items and weak uniques if any. i took off a whole bunch of mf and
>> went to 323. immediately the thing dropped a stormshield. anyone else seem
>> to do better with less mf or more?
>
>Bah! I disdain MF. I've got wealth armor. That's all the MF I need.
>
>Seriously though, almost every time the game has dropped something
>worth mentioning, it was during "normal" play (less than 50 mf on), and
>it was never a boss that dropped it - always a chest, or a champion,
>fanatic, etc...
>
>-Jason

I stopped wearing mine after I found Skulders and socketed it with a
perfect Topaz. Because my Assassin now has over 230 % MF, the stash
and the cube are full of uniques...

$$