  • Blizzard
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 4, 2005 10:54:44 AM

Okay, so my Charged Bolt/Blizzard sorceress, having found a +1 Cold Skill
charm as well as a +3 Lightning Skill amulet, and able to practically waltz
through the Ancients' Way, decided to take on the Hell Ancients tonight,
hoping to make her way to Matriarch soon.

I first boosted her up to level 84 doing Mausoleum and Crypt runs (amassing
gold with MF gear and Gheed's in order to gamble for amulets and/or
coronets), so that I could stockpile Full Rejuv potions for the event. Once
she reached level 84, I took her through the Ancients' Way, which seemed a
whole lot more difficult than the last time, even with level 32 Charged Bolt
(nearly maxed synergies) and level 30 Blizzard. But it was still very
doable, and she never died. (Can't say the same for the merc, tho.)

Okay, now we're at the altar, after filling the belt with purple pots and
strewing others around the area. The merc is useless, and I find I'm
wasting purple pots on him, so I let him get wasted and run the Ancients
around through Blizzard storms. Talic is the first to go. Then falls
Mawdac. Finally, I realize something terrible: Korlic is LI/CI, and my sorc
only has 4 pots left. There is no way I can finish this. Meteor is not
very strong, so even though it damages him, it's taking too much life from
my sorc since he's also LE.

Damn.

So TP back to Harrogath after the last purple pot is gone, fill up on
Healing and Mana pots, and go back to try again. This time, they spawn even
worse. Two are CI. Not good, since my sorc can't stand there and CB them;
she needs to run them through Blizzards until there is only one.

I go through repeated attempts at this, and each time they spawn with mods
that make me scream vituperate curses at my computer monitor.

Finally, after exhausting all her gold, I give up; my hopes of coming here
to write about my solo sorceress victory over the Hell Ancients dashed. It
was close... but no cigar. Not this time. But I WILL be back...

More about : bloody altar

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:18:33 PM

If you can keep the merc alive long enough, have you tried using a wand
with life tap charges to allow your merc to tank?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:31:15 PM

In article <U25ye.179008$IO.176787@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>Okay, so my Charged Bolt/Blizzard sorceress, having found a +1 Cold Skill

[snipped familiar sounding story]

>Finally, after exhausting all her gold, I give up; my hopes of coming here
>to write about my solo sorceress victory over the Hell Ancients dashed. It
>was close... but no cigar. Not this time. But I WILL be back...

Good of you to try it anyway. Maybe it's of some comfort to you, but I've
also not been able to solo the Hell Ancients with both sorcs I played: one
a FO/CL one, the other a Blizzard/FB build.

I've tried to solo them with both builds, but after failing several times,
got in the Skelliemancer, killed 'em with that, and then continued solo
again without much problems to kill Hell Baal.

Strangely enough, the NM Ancients are usually quite easy to do but their
brothers in Hell: very difficult. You probably need a very lucky 'roll' of
their mods, and/or a very powerful merc, and/or a _lot_ of patience.

Anybody here managed to solo the Hell Ancients with any sorc build?

Regards,

Patrick.
July 4, 2005 3:03:53 PM

I killed them solo with my blizzard sorc (merc is key... let merc tank them
and cast blizzard)
if only one of them is CI (and not PI also) merc can handle that one

merc gear first time i killed them: ethereal duriels shell, tals mask,
reapers toll
merc gear now: eth uped duriels, infinity tresher, ethereal andariels visage
(the conv does help)

Clincher

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:c670f$42c8f3d3$82a1d3bf$21712@news1.tudelft.nl...
> In article <U25ye.179008$IO.176787@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:
> >Okay, so my Charged Bolt/Blizzard sorceress, having found a +1 Cold Skill
>
> [snipped familiar sounding story]
>
> >Finally, after exhausting all her gold, I give up; my hopes of coming
here
> >to write about my solo sorceress victory over the Hell Ancients dashed.
It
> >was close... but no cigar. Not this time. But I WILL be back...
>
> Good of you to try it anyway. Maybe it's of some comfort to you, but I've
> also not been able to solo the Hell Ancients with both sorcs I played: one
> a FO/CL one, the other a Blizzard/FB build.
>
> I've tried to solo them with both builds, but after failing several times,
> got in the Skelliemancer, killed 'em with that, and then continued solo
> again without much problems to kill Hell Baal.
>
> Strangely enough, the NM Ancients are usually quite easy to do but their
> brothers in Hell: very difficult. You probably need a very lucky 'roll' of
> their mods, and/or a very powerful merc, and/or a _lot_ of patience.
>
> Anybody here managed to solo the Hell Ancients with any sorc build?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:07:45 PM

"Clincher" wrote...
>I killed them solo with my blizzard sorc (merc is key... let merc tank them
> and cast blizzard)
> if only one of them is CI (and not PI also) merc can handle that one
>
> merc gear first time i killed them: ethereal duriels shell, tals mask,
> reapers toll
> merc gear now: eth uped duriels, infinity tresher, ethereal andariels
> visage
> (the conv does help)
>
> [snip page]

My merc has an Infinity Thresher, but the best armor I have that he can wear
is ethereal Shaftstop. The Gladiator's Bane I found recently cannot be used
until level 85, and even then I don't know if he has the strength. The
Duriel's I have is not ethereal, and it is being worn by my sorceress. I
have neither Andariel's nor Tal's to give him, so he's wearing Natalya's
Totem.

He is no tank, by any means. If he were a little more useful, I am sure she
could have easily dispatched the Ancients. As it was, he is dead in three
swipes, it seems.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:09:24 PM

"Polarhound" wrote...
> If you can keep the merc alive long enough, have you tried using a wand
> with life tap charges to allow your merc to tank?

I have not. I'll have to try that, since he cannot tank as he is. However,
using a wand will deduct +2 from my sorceress's skills.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:43:36 AM

In article <B1eye.140933$VH2.7192@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>My merc has an Infinity Thresher, but the best armor I have that he can wear
>is ethereal Shaftstop. The Gladiator's Bane I found recently cannot be used
>until level 85, and even then I don't know if he has the strength. The
>Duriel's I have is not ethereal, and it is being worn by my sorceress. I
>have neither Andariel's nor Tal's to give him, so he's wearing Natalya's
>Totem.
>
>He is no tank, by any means. If he were a little more useful, I am sure she
>could have easily dispatched the Ancients. As it was, he is dead in three
>swipes, it seems.

I beg your pardon? Infinity:

Infinity
4 Socket Polearms
Ber + Mal + Ber + Ist
50% Chance To Cast Level 20 Chain Lightning When You Kill An Enemy
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Run/Walk
+255-325% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance (varies)
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
0.5-49.5 To Vitality (Based on Character Level)
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30 Charges)

You're not convincing me someone who can afford to make Infinity in a
(non-ethereal I presume) Thresher does not have something better than
Duriels or Gladiators Bane, or Natalya's Totem for his merc.

Perhaps you were confused, and actually meant to say you have Obedience in
a Thresher:

Obedience
5 Socket Polearms
Hel + Ko + Thul + Eth + Fal
30% Chance To Cast Level 21 Enchant When You Kill An Enemy
40% Faster Hit Recovery
+370% Enhanced Damage
-25% Target Defense
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
-25% To Enemy Fire Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
+200-300 Defense (varies)
+10 To Strength
+10 To Dexterity
All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
Requirements -20%

I'm quite convinved a merc equipped with an Inifity Thresher might have an
easier time with the Hell Ancients than if he equipped an Obedience
Thresher... :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:43:37 AM

"Patrick Vervoorn" wrote...
> [snip]
>
> I beg your pardon? Infinity:
>
> [snip more]
>
> I'm quite convinved a merc equipped with an Inifity Thresher might have an
> easier time with the Hell Ancients than if he equipped an Obedience
> Thresher... :)

You are correct. He has Insight, not Infinity. If I could afford Infinity,
then I am sure you are correct. Hehehe...
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:45:45 AM

In article <83eye.140935$VH2.129619@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>"Polarhound" wrote...
>> If you can keep the merc alive long enough, have you tried using a wand
>> with life tap charges to allow your merc to tank?
>
>I have not. I'll have to try that, since he cannot tank as he is. However,
>using a wand will deduct +2 from my sorceress's skills.

Put the wand in your alternate weapons slot, then the switch is temporay.
If you also put a nice shield there, you might even hardly notice it.

Anyway, novel idea, Life Tap charges on the Ancients. It might work, if
the merc can get a hit in before he's one-hit killed by one of the
Ancients.

My FO/CL sorc has a wand with level 2 Lower Resistance charges on switch;
works quite nicely in about 75% of the case I encounter a dual
Cold/Lightning immune, to break one of the two.

Sometimes it doesn't work, and then the merc has to do the job...

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:45:46 AM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <83eye.140935$VH2.129619@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> Brian Kastel <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>"Polarhound" wrote...
>>
>>>If you can keep the merc alive long enough, have you tried using a wand
>>>with life tap charges to allow your merc to tank?
>>
>>I have not. I'll have to try that, since he cannot tank as he is. However,
>>using a wand will deduct +2 from my sorceress's skills.
>

> Put the wand in your alternate weapons slot, then the switch is temporay.
> If you also put a nice shield there, you might even hardly notice it.
>
> Anyway, novel idea, Life Tap charges on the Ancients. It might work, if
> the merc can get a hit in before he's one-hit killed by one of the
> Ancients.

The nice thing about even a lvl1 life tap is a 16 second duration, 18.4
seconds if you find a Lvl2 wand. You won't have to worry about
recasting it every 3 seconds like many other low level curses.
!