Mouse Cursor Makes Large Jumps

I have a 9100 with an optical mouse.

About roughly once per hour, the mouse cursor jumps to a new position
on the screen.

I don't know whether it is a mouse problem, a problem with the USB bus
in the computer, or perhaps something else. Any ideas on how to fix it
will be appreciated.

Shel wrote:

> I have a 9100 with an optical mouse.
>
> About roughly once per hour, the mouse cursor jumps to a new position
> on the screen.
>
> I don't know whether it is a mouse problem, a problem with the USB bus
> in the computer, or perhaps something else. Any ideas on how to fix it
> will be appreciated.

Start by trying a new mouse pad.

Is this your first optical mouse? They're sensitive to shiny mouse pads.

Sparky Spartacus wrote:

> Shel wrote:
>
> > I have a 9100 with an optical mouse.
> >
> > About roughly once per hour, the mouse cursor jumps to a new
> > position on the screen.
> >
> > I don't know whether it is a mouse problem, a problem with the USB
> > bus in the computer, or perhaps something else. Any ideas on how to
> > fix it will be appreciated.
>
> Start by trying a new mouse pad.

Why use a mouse pad at all? The early optical mice needed a shiny
surface with a regular dot pattern. The new generations don't.

I love the optical mouse for the freedom it gives: I use it even on my
black leather couch when operating my laptop ;)

> Is this your first optical mouse? They're sensitive to shiny mouse
> pads.

Ofcourse optical mice cannot be used on shiny surfaces like glass and
they are also sensitive so some repetitve designs. If the mouse however
only jumps once an hour, I don't think it is any kind of flaw in the
surface it's running on.

I have the same problem in my Logitech MX100 laser mouse. It even jumps
around once every 15 minutes. Having exchanged it with another mouse, I
can conclude it's not anything on the computer. The USB port is the
same. The driver is the same, but that doesn't necessarily mean the
same portion of code is used in the driver.

> > > About roughly once per hour, the mouse cursor jumps to a new
> > > position on the screen.
> I have the same problem in my Logitech MX100 laser mouse. It even jumps
> around once every 15 minutes

*word of warning here*

I attended a machine with a virus / spyware problem recently, and it
moved the mouse every 15 minutes or so. The owner hadn`t noticed it, but
I did.

Do a full scan using something like Sysclean from Trend - i`ve got links
to the program and the latest virus sigs at the bottom of the second
page on my site - http://www.coreutilities.co.uk