Wireless Device Enclosures

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2004 1:07:49 PM

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this is a bit OT...

I've been using a Soekris board as a wireless AP & router and have
noticed that the Soekris-supplied enclosure seems to reduce my signal
strength and range (quite significantly). With the enclosure removed,
everything works fine.

Can someone recommend a supplier of practical & attractive indoor
enclosures for these cards?

Perhaps OT but is there an optimum material for such an enclosure?
Something with better signal penetration/propagation properties?
Perhaps plastic or alluminium rather than steel?

Recommendations or suggestions appreciated.

Thks & BRgds.

Colin
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2004 1:07:50 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:07:49 +0000 (UTC), "Colin A. White"
<cwhite@si4.net> wrote:

>I've been using a Soekris board as a wireless AP & router and have
>noticed that the Soekris-supplied enclosure seems to reduce my signal
>strength and range (quite significantly). With the enclosure removed,
>everything works fine.
>
>Can someone recommend a supplier of practical & attractive indoor
>enclosures for these cards?

ABS (acrylic butyl styrene), polycarbonate (clear), PVC, polyester, or
fiberglass will work fine as found in most electrical boxes. Made by
Hoffman, Hammond, Stahlin, and a bunch of others.

>Perhaps OT but is there an optimum material for such an enclosure?
>Something with better signal penetration/propagation properties?
>Perhaps plastic or alluminium rather than steel?

Huh? 2.4GHz is not going to go through steel, aluminium, or any kind
of carbon doped material. If you're running an 802.11b card with an
internal antenna, no RF will ever make it out of the box. If you're
referring to this product and package:
http://www.soekris.com/Pictures/new_case_rearinside.jpg
http://www.soekris.com/Pictures/new_case_front.jpg
you need to install a pigtail and external antenna. RF doesn't go
through metal.

In theory, fiberglass would probably be best, but I've had excellent
luck with common gray polyester and PVC electrical boxes. I don't
know if you consider those attractive. If you want "cool" looking,
try some of the clear cover polycarbonate boxes. If you want cheap,
go to the supermarket and get a clear polycarbonate casserole dish.

I'm not sure about wooden boxes. It might be possible to build
something from some low density wood (i.e pine) but I suspect the
water content might be a problem. Water blocks 2.4GHz horribly. It's
worth a try if aesthetics is critical.

>Recommendations or suggestions appreciated.

http://www.hammfg.com/docs/Enclosure/E4_PDF/E4_122-123....
http://www.stahlin.com

150 Felker St #D 831-336-2558
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2004 7:08:02 PM

In terms of radio frequency signal propagation, there are no doubts your
steel enclosure is the worst. Aluminum would not make much difference
either. It may actually, depending on the enclosure's design, kill the
signal even better. PVC or other type of plastic is what you'd normally
want to stick with.
HOWEVER:
It really does matter where exactly your AP is located. If by any chance
you're keeping it above the plenum ceiling, your enclosure must be steel
as all the other materials burn very well (especially aluminum), and are
not rated for plenum spaces (unless there is a UL mark on it that states
otherwise). In this case you'd have to use external antenna to get the
signal out of the steel enclosure into the open space.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Colin A. White wrote:

> Hi Folks,

> Apologies if this is a bit OT...

> I've been using a Soekris board as a wireless AP & router and have
> noticed that the Soekris-supplied enclosure seems to reduce my signal
> strength and range (quite significantly). With the enclosure removed,
> everything works fine.

> Can someone recommend a supplier of practical & attractive indoor
> enclosures for these cards?

> Perhaps OT but is there an optimum material for such an enclosure?
> Something with better signal penetration/propagation properties?
> Perhaps plastic or alluminium rather than steel?

> Recommendations or suggestions appreciated.

> Thks & BRgds.

> Colin

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless