Baal runs on ladder

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Yesterday I managed to level up my trap assassin from 58 to 73,
primarily through baal runs in NM. Now she's very fast, has a pair of
jade talons and is very happy.

Seems that this way of getting up in levels is very profitable. At
certain points, I was leveling once per run. I regret not doing this
more with my sorc who's been struggling in hell for the last 10 levels
(recently level 77).

In terms of "ladder" rankings, it seems that baal runs are an abuse. I
mean, it takes virtually no skill to benefit from these. Has it ever
been discussed to limit this? For example, after doing the baal's
minions quest 10 (or some number of) times, it should give you the baal
quest, and force you on to only seeing hell games when you want to join.

This would mean nothing by making it so that it completes the quest and
allowing you to only see the Hell games. Alot of pplz would deliberatly
leave characters in NM simply to continue being able to see NM games or just
continue to Make NM Baal runs and keep Baal running. The experience slows
down forcing pplz to move into hell. The only way to limit it would be to
make the experience gaining slow down earlier.

--
Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

"Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> Yesterday I managed to level up my trap assassin from 58 to 73,
> primarily through baal runs in NM. Now she's very fast, has a pair of
> jade talons and is very happy.
>
> Seems that this way of getting up in levels is very profitable. At
> certain points, I was leveling once per run. I regret not doing this
> more with my sorc who's been struggling in hell for the last 10 levels
> (recently level 77).
>
> In terms of "ladder" rankings, it seems that baal runs are an abuse. I
> mean, it takes virtually no skill to benefit from these. Has it ever
> been discussed to limit this? For example, after doing the baal's
> minions quest 10 (or some number of) times, it should give you the baal
> quest, and force you on to only seeing hell games when you want to join.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

john graesser wrote:
> "Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> > This would mean nothing by making it so that it completes the quest and
> > allowing you to only see the Hell games. Alot of pplz would deliberatly
> > leave characters in NM simply to continue being able to see NM games or
> just
> > continue to Make NM Baal runs and keep Baal running. The experience slows
> > down forcing pplz to move into hell. The only way to limit it would be to
> > make the experience gaining slow down earlier.
> >

> > --
> > Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.
> >

> > "Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Yesterday I managed to level up my trap assassin from 58 to 73,
> > > primarily through baal runs in NM. Now she's very fast, has a pair of
> > > jade talons and is very happy.
> > >
> > > Seems that this way of getting up in levels is very profitable. At
> > > certain points, I was leveling once per run. I regret not doing this
> > > more with my sorc who's been struggling in hell for the last 10 levels
> > > (recently level 77).
> > >
> > > In terms of "ladder" rankings, it seems that baal runs are an abuse. I
> > > mean, it takes virtually no skill to benefit from these. Has it ever
> > > been discussed to limit this? For example, after doing the baal's
> > > minions quest 10 (or some number of) times, it should give you the baal
> > > quest, and force you on to only seeing hell games when you want to join.
>
> My suggestion on this is to add a flag for each of the superuniques and
> bosses and when a player has killed each one, he no longer gets any
> experiance for subsequent kills.

Why would you care where people go for experience? Personally, I enjoy
running the MF routes while leveling. If I were forced to level or mf,
but not do both, then I would be quite upset.

> It would force players to go out and kill normal monsters if they want
> experiance, or they could still go after the big guys if mfing.

Again, why? One of the beauties of this game is that there are so many
ways to play it. Forcing people to play it in an arbitrary or contrived
manner is counter productive. How many other games do you know of that
are not only still played but still actively sold (new!) in stores a
full five years after the initial release?

"Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> This would mean nothing by making it so that it completes the quest and
> allowing you to only see the Hell games. Alot of pplz would deliberatly
> leave characters in NM simply to continue being able to see NM games or
just
> continue to Make NM Baal runs and keep Baal running. The experience slows
> down forcing pplz to move into hell. The only way to limit it would be to
> make the experience gaining slow down earlier.
>

> --
> Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.
>

> "Nobody" <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote in message
> > Yesterday I managed to level up my trap assassin from 58 to 73,
> > primarily through baal runs in NM. Now she's very fast, has a pair of
> > jade talons and is very happy.
> >
> > Seems that this way of getting up in levels is very profitable. At
> > certain points, I was leveling once per run. I regret not doing this
> > more with my sorc who's been struggling in hell for the last 10 levels
> > (recently level 77).
> >
> > In terms of "ladder" rankings, it seems that baal runs are an abuse. I
> > mean, it takes virtually no skill to benefit from these. Has it ever
> > been discussed to limit this? For example, after doing the baal's
> > minions quest 10 (or some number of) times, it should give you the baal
> > quest, and force you on to only seeing hell games when you want to join.

My suggestion on this is to add a flag for each of the superuniques and
bosses and when a player has killed each one, he no longer gets any
experiance for subsequent kills.

It would force players to go out and kill normal monsters if they want
experiance, or they could still go after the big guys if mfing.

It could be like the current flag for killing the cow king, if you are in a
party that kills, you count as killing. You still get experiance for a SU
minions but not for the SU himself after your first kill. It shouldn't take
much more than 256 bits to keep track of all three difficulties for all the
SU and bosses.

Can the battlenet servers afford an extra 32 bytes for every char currently
online?