Gem Bags - CE

what do these actually do? I can use the cube to put gems in the gem
bag but i dont know what purpose it serves... any help would be
appreciated

thanks
20 answers Last reply
More about bags

    howldog wrote:

    > what do these actually do? I can use the cube to put gems in the gem
    > bag but i dont know what purpose it serves... any help would be
    > appreciated
    >
    > thanks

    it saves space in your stash/inventory. Instead of having a page full
    of pgems, you can have almost an unlimited number of gems and only take
    up 5 spaces.

    On 5-Jul-2005, sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > howldog wrote:
    > >
    > > what do these actually do? I can use the cube to put gems in the gem
    > > bag but i dont know what purpose it serves... any help would be
    > > appreciated
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > it saves space in your stash/inventory. Instead of having a page full
    > of pgems, you can have almost an unlimited number of gems and only take
    > up 5 spaces.

    Err... I don't know what game you are playing, but in mine there are 7
    types of gems. ;)
    Personally, I carry all 7 gem bags in my inventory, to put the gems in
    immediately upon finding them, too often I found myself coming back to
    town with 10-15 gems in my inventory, so carrying the bags actually saves
    me room in the long run.
    Also, didn't Chaos Energy say that there was a limit? Something like 255
    or 256 total per bag? I am just about half way there with my fullest
    bags, so it will be awhile since I have been playing this mod for months
    already.
    --
    Not 1337.

    ArtDent wrote:
    > On 5-Jul-2005, sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >

    >>howldog wrote:
    >>
    >>>what do these actually do? I can use the cube to put gems in the gem
    >>>bag but i dont know what purpose it serves... any help would be
    >>>appreciated
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >>it saves space in your stash/inventory. Instead of having a page full
    >>of pgems, you can have almost an unlimited number of gems and only take
    >>up 5 spaces.
    >

    > Err... I don't know what game you are playing, but in mine there are 7
    > types of gems. ;)

    yes :-( I have not been being very accurate lately! LOL I guess
    working 12 hour shifts is finally catching up to me!
    > Personally, I carry all 7 gem bags in my inventory, to put the gems in
    > immediately upon finding them, too often I found myself coming back to
    > town with 10-15 gems in my inventory, so carrying the bags actually saves
    > me room in the long run.
    > Also, didn't Chaos Energy say that there was a limit? Something like 255
    > or 256 total per bag?

    There is a limit, but if you do fill them up, you can buy more bags and
    start filling them up again. Still that makes one page in the stash
    hold an "almost" limitless amount.

    I am just about half way there with my fullest
    > bags, so it will be awhile since I have been playing this mod for months
    > already.

    1: they hold 2 chips, add a 3rd chip causes them to become a flawed gem.
    Likewise up to Perfect.
    And they'll hold 200 perfects.

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
    USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 01:04:50 GMT, Brian Brunner
    <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:

    >1: they hold 2 chips, add a 3rd chip causes them to become a flawed gem.
    >Likewise up to Perfect.
    >And they'll hold 200 perfects.

    um, OK, so then how do i get them out, if I want to extract a perfect?
    Right click? I havent tried this yet

    howldog wrote:

    > um, OK, so then how do i get them out, if I want to extract a perfect?
    > Right click? I havent tried this yet.

    Place the gem bag and nothing else in the Cube and hit Transmute. A gem
    of the lowest quality will be removed from the bag (i.e., chipped,
    flawed, etc.). Remove that gem from the Cube and Transmute again. Rinse
    and repeat this process until a perfect gem gets extracted from the gem
    bag.

    Jill

    howldog wrote:

    > wow. thats labor intensive. With all those stash pages available, um,
    > does anyone actually use this?

    About "all those stash pages". I will admit that I am a packrat, but,
    even so, there seems to be a limit as to how much stuff you can
    actually have in your stash pages.

    My barb has a ton of items. I don't know why I keep all this stuff, I
    just do. First, it takes 10 minutes to load up a game and, hence, his
    stash, for him (yes, I've actually timed the 10 minutes). Second, about
    a month ago my game started crashing with this error:

    Assertion Failure
    Location : D2Game\PLAYER\PlrSave.cpp, line #1811
    Expression : !"Character has too many items"

    At first I thought it was pretty funny -- I knew I was a packrat but
    I've never actually had it crash the game before, ha, ha! -- but when
    it crashed my game on level 9 of the Hell Dungeons so I lost all my
    progress, it wasn't so funny anymore. And despite the fact that I went
    through my stash and sold off things that, really, I was never going to
    use, my game keeps crashing at random times.

    I had never cubed any gems, or used the gem bags that I bought. I just
    kept mindlessly stuffing gems of varying qualities into my stash, so I
    decided it was finally time to cube 'em up. Rubies alone took me over
    three and a half hours to cube, and I ended up having to buy two more
    ruby bags.

    Not all of those over 400 perfect rubies started out that way. So that
    means three flawless rubies for each perfect, nine normal ones, etc. So
    now, instead of my computer having to load the graphics/info for
    perhaps seven or eight hundred rubies of differing qualities, it now
    only has to load three gem bags. I expect that when I get around to
    putting the rest of the gem types into their respective bags, my game
    will run a lot smoother.

    So I think getting into the habit of using those gem bags is a good
    idea. It frees up stash space and perhaps may even prevent your game
    from crashing.

    Jill

    On 6 Jul 2005 10:01:01 -0700, "neithskye"
    <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >howldog wrote:
    >
    >> um, OK, so then how do i get them out, if I want to extract a perfect?
    >> Right click? I havent tried this yet.
    >
    >Place the gem bag and nothing else in the Cube and hit Transmute. A gem
    >of the lowest quality will be removed from the bag (i.e., chipped,
    >flawed, etc.). Remove that gem from the Cube and Transmute again. Rinse
    >and repeat this process until a perfect gem gets extracted from the gem
    >bag.

    wow. thats labor intensive. With all those stash pages available, um,
    does anyone actually use this?

    my "problem" with gems is the same as it has ever been.. plenty of
    gems and not enough socketed stuff to put them in.

    I looked on the CE cube recipes page, but its sort of confusing. Is
    there a way to make an item with no sockets, to have sockets?

    howldog wrote:
    > On 6 Jul 2005 10:01:01 -0700, "neithskye"
    > <jill_bookerGREENEGGSANDSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>howldog wrote:
    >>

    >>>um, OK, so then how do i get them out, if I want to extract a perfect?
    >>>Right click? I havent tried this yet.
    >>
    >>Place the gem bag and nothing else in the Cube and hit Transmute. A gem
    >>of the lowest quality will be removed from the bag (i.e., chipped,
    >>flawed, etc.). Remove that gem from the Cube and Transmute again. Rinse
    >>and repeat this process until a perfect gem gets extracted from the gem
    >>bag.
    >>

    > wow. thats labor intensive. With all those stash pages available, um,
    > does anyone actually use this?
    >
    > my "problem" with gems is the same as it has ever been.. plenty of
    > gems and not enough socketed stuff to put them in.
    >
    > I looked on the CE cube recipes page, but its sort of confusing. Is
    > there a way to make an item with no sockets, to have sockets?

    That is very easy in CE. It take 2 pgems for one socket. 4 for 2
    sockets and so on. The max sockets on any item is half the number of
    spaces the item takes up in the stash/inventory.

    I have not had a good record of giving accurate information in the past
    few days! LOL If I am wrong here someone let me know!

    On 6-Jul-2005, sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > It take 2 pgems for one socket. 4 for 2
    > sockets and so on. The max sockets on any item is half the number of
    > spaces the item takes up in the stash/inventory.
    >
    > I have not had a good record of giving accurate information in the past
    > few days! LOL If I am wrong here someone let me know!

    Only thing wrong here is that sometimes you do not get the max=spaces.
    Some items just won't take more than a certain amount of sockets,
    especially the lower level items. I have 'wasted' many a pair of pgems
    trying for 3 sockets when the item type will only give 2 no matter what.
    (meaning that using 6 pgems gave the same result as using 4 would have)
    Plus, there are _no_ items that give more than 6 sockets even tho they
    take 8 spaces.
    --
    Not 1337.

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:33:12 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
    wrote:

    >On 6-Jul-2005, sidekick <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >> It take 2 pgems for one socket. 4 for 2
    >> sockets and so on. The max sockets on any item is half the number of
    >> spaces the item takes up in the stash/inventory.
    >>
    >> I have not had a good record of giving accurate information in the past
    >> few days! LOL If I am wrong here someone let me know!
    >
    >Only thing wrong here is that sometimes you do not get the max=spaces.
    >Some items just won't take more than a certain amount of sockets,
    >especially the lower level items. I have 'wasted' many a pair of pgems
    >trying for 3 sockets when the item type will only give 2 no matter what.
    >(meaning that using 6 pgems gave the same result as using 4 would have)
    >Plus, there are _no_ items that give more than 6 sockets even tho they
    >take 8 spaces.

    thanks, i'll try this. very helpful.

    On 6-Jul-2005, howldog <howldog@yahoonope.com> wrote:

    > But i've got six tomes stashed. thats a lot of gambling.

    Heh, you think those are nice? A 'measly' 7.5 million? Wait until you
    get some valuable elixirs, they are worth almost 500 million. Those are
    for when you have the whole weekend free, lol. Oh, and I think there was
    something worth almost 750 mil also, but I forget what ATM.
    btw, to gamble 'uber' items, try creating a level 96 char with the -act5
    switch and use them for gambling. Although, I enjoyed leveling up and
    seeing what 'new' things I could gamble every couple levels or so also.
    --
    Not 1337.

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:05:33 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
    wrote:

    >On 6-Jul-2005, howldog <howldog@yahoonope.com> wrote:
    >
    >> But i've got six tomes stashed. thats a lot of gambling.
    >
    >Heh, you think those are nice? A 'measly' 7.5 million? Wait until you
    >get some valuable elixirs, they are worth almost 500 million. Those are
    >for when you have the whole weekend free, lol.

    i wondered what that was, i have one in my stash just sitting there. I
    dont ever have that much time to play.

    On 7-Jul-2005, howldog <howldog@yahoonope.com> wrote:
    <snip where I was talking selling about valuable elixirs>
    > i wondered what that was, i have one in my stash just sitting there. I
    > dont ever have that much time to play.

    Besides gambling, they are nice for when you are taking on end bosses,
    they give you a _very_ big boost in life and mana for awhile, makes you
    almost invulnerable.
    --
    Not 1337.

    "sidekick" <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > That is very easy in CE. It take 2 pgems for one socket. 4 for 2
    > sockets and so on.

    Are there any way to add more sockect to ie. a one socket item (or
    alternatively remove all sockets from an item ?)

    > The max sockets on any item is half the number of
    > spaces the item takes up in the stash/inventory.

    I think i added 4 sockets to a 6 spaces bow.... Probably it follows the max
    sockets on the itemlist at
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/weaponsandarmor.shtml

    In line.

    SoftMan Brian wrote:
    > "sidekick" <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>That is very easy in CE. It take 2 pgems for one socket. 4 for 2
    >>sockets and so on.
    >

    > Are there any way to add more sockect to ie. a one socket item

    No.

    > No.
    > No.

    Dang... hmm hope i gamble a new HoZ, instead of the one i added one socket
    to, with the socketing quest :-(

    On 9-Jul-2005, "SoftMan Brian" <Brian_Hoey@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > No.
    > > No.
    >
    > Dang... hmm hope i gamble a new HoZ, instead of the one i added one
    > socket
    > to, with the socketing quest :-(

    Have you tried re-rolling it with the 2 blue charm or one yellow charm
    recipe? Does that take sockets away? You can get the runes/gems/jewels
    out first with a Suicide Minion doll. Plus, you can make a runeword in a
    blue/magic or yellow/rare item, so roll for some nice mods even before you
    resocket it to make whatever runeword you want.
    --
    Not 1337.

    ArtDent wrote:
    > On 9-Jul-2005, "SoftMan Brian" <Brian_Hoey@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>No.
    >>>No.
    >>
    >>Dang... hmm hope i gamble a new HoZ, instead of the one i added one
    >>socket
    >>to, with the socketing quest :-(
    >

    > Have you tried re-rolling it with the 2 blue charm or one yellow charm
    > recipe? Does that take sockets away? You can get the runes/gems/jewels
    > out first with a Suicide Minion doll. Plus, you can make a runeword in a
    > blue/magic or yellow/rare item, so roll for some nice mods even before you
    > resocket it to make whatever runeword you want.

    With runes and gems so abundant, is there really a need to use a suicide
    minion doll for that? Wouldn't it be better to put in the doll stash?
    Or is there another cube recipe for it?

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, sidekick wrote:

    >> With runes and gems so abundant, is there really a need to use a suicide
    >> minion doll?

    Yes.

    My assassin just used 5 of them.

    I built two runeword claws (a +2 Ass Skills rare and a magic +3 shadow
    disciplines for my Psychic Hammer girl), the runeword gives 20-40%
    resists... I got 20 in one and 23 in the other. Zod Amn Vex are not
    trivial runes, but the claws were rather hard to find (gambling is
    tedious).

    Popped the 20% claw and a Suicide Minion in the cube, and out popped the
    runes. I put them back in and got 35% resists!

    The other claws took 4 more minion-re-inserts to get 30% resists (all
    the other rolls were lower... 23->20->24->30... I stopped there).

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
    USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

Games Gem Video Games