Sign in with
Your question

XP User's

Last response: in Windows XP
January 23, 2004 12:15:15 AM

Stay with 98/SE if you want to save money, as support has been extended to june 2004.

Longhorn will be much better than XP - I hope!

More about : user

January 24, 2004 1:11:32 AM

Quote:
98 just about free where XP Home is $175. Microsoft money making scam - buy new OS every 3 years.

Man you can get XP Pro for less than what you quoted for the home version<A HREF="http://www.directron.com/winxppro.html" target="_new">Pro </A><A HREF="http://www.directron.com/windowxp.html" target="_new">Home</A>you are way off, if you're going to make these kind of statements at least have your facts straight.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
Related resources
January 24, 2004 5:43:53 PM

98se over XP? No way.
January 25, 2004 1:01:14 AM

For older systems, say 1GHz and slower, I would recommend 98SE in a heartbeat. I have it running on three machines and have never had a problem with any of them.

For over 1GHz, I would recommend win2000 Pro. I have used XP Pro and find it doesn't do anything special over 2000, and it looks gay, too.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
512MB DDR333
GF3 ti200 64MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG 24x24x32 CDR
WIN2K PRo SP4
January 26, 2004 4:32:06 AM

your rating system should be based on ammount of ram, not cpu speed.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
January 26, 2004 2:06:06 PM

Here's how I would do it:

Any computer 400MHz - 800MHz with at least 256MB of RAM (512MB is preferable)... Windows 2000.

Any computer over 800MHz (with the possible exception of Celerons) and with at least 256MB of RAM... Windows XP. You can also configure XP so that it doesn't look any more 'gay' than Windows 2000.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
January 27, 2004 11:59:46 PM

The imformation posted is correct!

XP home in Australia is $175, thats with a new PC.

It's even more expensive if you buy it separately up to $220.

It would be cheaper in the US because of the $ exchange rate, etc.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
January 28, 2004 1:03:10 AM

So you're an Aussie Eh! Sorry I didn't know that, as far as the price comments are concerned.

Still the only reason to rave over Win98SE is that you probably haven't even used WinXP.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 01/27/04 10:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 28, 2004 12:03:18 PM

Another way would be to find a friend who's a full-time student. Most (US) universitites give BIG discounts to students on just about all m$ products. That's how I got XP Pro and XP Office Suite for around $20 - with licenses!
January 29, 2004 12:51:15 AM

I've used XP and can't see any thing special over 98/SE for general home or small business use.

If you like all the extra display and security features of XP, it would be worth buying.

For large companies, yes, XP Pro would be better obviously.

If you use 98/SE and set your PC up correctly, it is just about and sometimes faster in certain applications than XP.

Hey, did you set your PC up with 98 correctly or just instal and use?

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
January 29, 2004 12:52:54 AM

For $20, I would buy XP too!

January 29, 2004 11:20:17 AM

Quote:
I've used XP and can't see any thing special over 98/SE for general home or small business use.

Well General Stability, Being able to install multiple programs without restarting the machine, Restore Features, Recovering Features, Repair Features, Working well with the newest programs coming onto the market, You're posting here with someone thats dual booting WinXP Pro and Win98SE, I like Win98SE I'm still using it because it will run the older games I own that I'm just not ready to put out to pasture yet, but it has its limitations and they become more and more obvious, so for just plain general use I use XP, and I find myself using SE less and less, because of its limitations. I also have Win2K Pro, WinME, WinXP Home, and Linux Mandrake, and each one has its plus's and minus's.

Quote:
If you like all the extra display and security features of XP, it would be worth buying.

If you use WinXP and set your PC up correctly, Hey, did you set your PC up with XP correctly or just instal and use it? You can cut out all the frills dude and run XP in performance mode, didn't you know that?

Quote:
If you use 98/SE and set your PC up correctly, it is just about and sometimes faster in certain applications than XP.

In certain applications thats a true statement, but not in all applications, but thats a good reason to dual boot, and mainly why I do it.

Quote:
Hey, did you set your PC up with 98 correctly or just instal and use?

I don't believe you threw that little crack in! ROFLMFAO

I needed that! Later Dude! :smile:

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
January 30, 2004 12:04:36 AM

In reply to:
You can cut out all the frills dude and run XP in performance mode, didn't you know that?

Err; yes I know that.

In reply to:
General Stability

Yes I know that XP is more stable and efficient, overall than 98/SE, but the occasional crash occurs with both OS - I've found 98 crashes no more than XP.

I'am not against upgrading to newer OS, but waiting to Longhorn arrives would be a good idea, where 98 is still OK.

February 9, 2004 12:19:10 PM

Wow, this is the legit way that sounds great!!
I have 2 students that work for me in my GIS lab.
Please advise of how to access.
Retailer or do u have to go to the university directly???

Thanks
February 11, 2004 2:53:03 PM

I'm sure Win98 is *ok* for some people, but I don't see the point in recommending waiting for longhorn - it's still miles away, and anyway AFAIK M$ charges the same $ for a license of older software as it does for the latest (you have to purchase Office 2003 licenses to run any other version of Office for example) so it's not even worthwhile waiting just to get a cheaper WinXP.

I'd argue that WinXP is more stable, at least in my experience, than Win98, I've experienced far less BSOD, though of course, I have no evidence to back this up, but most people I speak to agree.

One other thing... you can wait forever. You'll read it all the time in other forums... "Don't buy a graphics card now, there are new cards on the horizon"... "I wouldn't get a Prophetview 920, 12ms TFTs will be here soon" etc etc But the fact remains, at some point you have to buy, and if you're waiting for the latest software or hardware to arrive, it will be (relatively speaking) expensive, and yet still there will be something bigger and better looming in the not too distant future.
February 11, 2004 6:14:33 PM

Personally if I need to run something under 98SE I run it with VMware. XP is great but I wouldn't call it the most stable of MS os's I personally feel that title belongs to Win2k. XP would have it hands down if it didn't have IE 6 so far up it's crack. IE6 IMO is the worst of the IEs since early 4 versions. Not trying to derail but XP would have been better if they had spent a little more time on IE6.
!