Young Hammerdin questions/tips?

Hi,

I'm finally building a Hammerdin. Started him with -act5 trick and rushed
him to NM. Killed Andy for him, so he could get his HF merc right away.

It'll be the standard Hammerdin with a nice Holy Shield and Charge as
backup attack.

At level 34, he'll split points between Conc and BH, so he can make use of
Charge right away.

Blessed Hammers don't carry any of the usual mods like leech, Crushing Blow
or Deadly Strike, right?

So his main equipment goals would be high faster cast rate and lots of
additional life and mana?

HF Merc with Insight stick?

Any other tips?

Thanks,

Oliver

In article <dag4f7$a1v$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

>I'm finally building a Hammerdin. Started him with -act5 trick and rushed
>him to NM. Killed Andy for him, so he could get his HF merc right away.

Too bad you're missing about the only challenge this (boring) build
actually has to offer: to survive, while saving up points, until you can
get Blessed Hammer and it's synergies going... Oh well...

>It'll be the standard Hammerdin with a nice Holy Shield and Charge as
>backup attack.
>
>At level 34, he'll split points between Conc and BH, so he can make use of
>Charge right away.

I'd max Concentrate earlier, because that aura also benefits your merc
more.

And Charge... I wouldn't really bother with it, even in the Maggot Lair
you can use the hammers to kill monsters, you just need to be positioned
just right. After you get BH going, there's really no need to whack
anything anymore.

>Blessed Hammers don't carry any of the usual mods like leech, Crushing Blow
>or Deadly Strike, right?

Yep, they only deal loads of magic damage. Of course, mods like
+life/+mana per kill do work...

>So his main equipment goals would be high faster cast rate and lots of
>additional life and mana?

Yep, and of course resists and perhaps some DR.

>HF Merc with Insight stick?
>
>Any other tips?

You're right on top with the HF Merc, but Blessed Hammers don't use that
much mana, so Insight is not really needed. In my experience at least.

Also put 1 point in, uh, Redemption (the aura which reclaims corpses for
life/mana), and flash that after, or even during, battles to regain
life/mana. Again, no Insight needed.

Beyond that, there's not much to say about this mega-boring build; I
finally gathered the 'will' to finish Act V Hell with mine, but it was
uneventful at best. Aiming the hammers right is about the only trick
needed for it, and the build is ridiculously powerful.

What gear have you planned for him? You need loads of resists, because the
hammers work best if you're (almost) in the middle of the monsters, so
expect take some hits. Also, to be able to teleport in the middle of a
pack is nice to have. Enigma is the (expensive) armor of choice, for the
Teleport and +skills. However, since I only have one Enigma, mine used a
Guardian Angel, for the block and + to max resists. Together with a
PDiamonded HoZ (this shield really makes a difference for a Hammerdin and
is actually more or less 'mandatory'), and a Wizardspike (there definately
are other options, like some of the unique elite Scepters, and the most
popular one: HotO), his resists never drop below 90-all even when under a
Conviction aura.

>Thanks,
>
>Oliver

Have fun,

Patrick.

Hi,

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

> In article <dag4f7$a1v$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>I'm finally building a Hammerdin. Started him with -act5 trick and
>>rushed him to NM. Killed Andy for him, so he could get his HF merc
>>right away.
>
> Too bad you're missing about the only challenge this (boring) build
> actually has to offer: to survive, while saving up points, until you
> can get Blessed Hammer and it's synergies going... Oh well...

I just don't have the time to commit about 10-20 hours of playing normal,
especially when all the nice stuff wearable by early 60ish levels wait for
the new build.

I've built several chars the untwinked way, and then these guys earned all
the stuff I've found up to now.

I see normal diff as some kind of chore, as most of the skills of the new
build don't work yet, so all builds are more or less the same in normal.
They have to melee most of the time..

With -act5 and some rushing, I can try new builds fast.. And that's where
the fun starts for me at the time being..

>>At level 34, he'll split points between Conc and BH, so he can make
>>use of Charge right away.
>
> I'd max Concentrate earlier, because that aura also benefits your merc
> more.
>
> And Charge... I wouldn't really bother with it, even in the Maggot
> Lair you can use the hammers to kill monsters, you just need to be
> positioned just right. After you get BH going, there's really no need
> to whack anything anymore.

I'll leave Charge at 1 and see what I can make of it. Merc has an Insight
Partizan now, ethereal Skin of the Flayed One and a Tarnhelm. When he
starts falling behind leve-wise or dies to often, Conc will get more
points.

>>Blessed Hammers don't carry any of the usual mods like leech, Crushing
>>Blow or Deadly Strike, right?
>
> Yep, they only deal loads of magic damage. Of course, mods like
> +life/+mana per kill do work...
>
>>So his main equipment goals would be high faster cast rate and lots of
>>additional life and mana?
>
> Yep, and of course resists and perhaps some DR.

Wizardspike and Rhyme shield should nearly max resists in Hell, so there
are lots of other equipment options.
And I've got a bunch of combat/offensive skillers.

> You're right on top with the HF Merc, but Blessed Hammers don't use
> that much mana, so Insight is not really needed. In my experience at
> least.
>
> Also put 1 point in, uh, Redemption (the aura which reclaims corpses
> for life/mana), and flash that after, or even during, battles to
> regain life/mana. Again, no Insight needed.

I'll try that.

> Beyond that, there's not much to say about this mega-boring build; I
> finally gathered the 'will' to finish Act V Hell with mine, but it was
> uneventful at best. Aiming the hammers right is about the only trick
> needed for it, and the build is ridiculously powerful.

I'd like a char who can rush through late Hell with lots of MF gear loaded.
Skellimancer is a nice one on this, but it just takes too much time to
build up an army...

> What gear have you planned for him? You need loads of resists, because
> the hammers work best if you're (almost) in the middle of the
> monsters, so expect take some hits. Also, to be able to teleport in
> the middle of a pack is nice to have. Enigma is the (expensive) armor
> of choice, for the Teleport and +skills. However, since I only have
> one Enigma, mine used a Guardian Angel, for the block and + to max
> resists. Together with a PDiamonded HoZ (this shield really makes a
> difference for a Hammerdin and is actually more or less 'mandatory'),
> and a Wizardspike (there definately are other options, like some of
> the unique elite Scepters, and the most popular one: HotO), his
> resists never drop below 90-all even when under a Conviction aura.

I've got a Wizardspike and high-resist Pally Rhyme shield, so that should
about cover resists in hell. No HoZ or Enigma, but I think I have some
Pally ammu with teleport charges.
Heaven's Light scepter with +3 pally skills for pre-buffing Holy Shield..

Thanx,

Oliver

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>
> > In article <dag4f7$a1v$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> > Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm finally building a Hammerdin. Started him with -act5 trick and
> >>rushed him to NM. Killed Andy for him, so he could get his HF merc
> >>right away.
> >
> > Too bad you're missing about the only challenge this (boring) build
> > actually has to offer: to survive, while saving up points, until you
> > can get Blessed Hammer and it's synergies going... Oh well...
>
> I just don't have the time to commit about 10-20 hours of playing normal,
> especially when all the nice stuff wearable by early 60ish levels wait for
> the new build.

I agree here at least :)
There aren't any real challenges before NM anyway, IMO.

> I've built several chars the untwinked way, and then these guys earned all
> the stuff I've found up to now.
>
> I see normal diff as some kind of chore, as most of the skills of the new
> build don't work yet, so all builds are more or less the same in normal.
> They have to melee most of the time..
>
> With -act5 and some rushing, I can try new builds fast.. And that's where
> the fun starts for me at the time being..
>
> >>At level 34, he'll split points between Conc and BH, so he can make
> >>use of Charge right away.
> >
> > I'd max Concentrate earlier, because that aura also benefits your merc
> > more.

Agree here, I put 10 points into Hammers, then 5 into Concentrate, a point
into Vigor, then dumped the rest into Concentrate first.

> > And Charge... I wouldn't really bother with it, even in the Maggot
> > Lair you can use the hammers to kill monsters, you just need to be
> > positioned just right. After you get BH going, there's really no need
> > to whack anything anymore.
>
> I'll leave Charge at 1 and see what I can make of it. Merc has an Insight
> Partizan now, ethereal Skin of the Flayed One and a Tarnhelm. When he
> starts falling behind leve-wise or dies to often, Conc will get more
> points.

Good plan. I used Charge a bit through the Maggot Lair, but I usually stuck
with Normal attack and let the Merc do most of the work.

> >>Blessed Hammers don't carry any of the usual mods like leech, Crushing
> >>Blow or Deadly Strike, right?
> >
> > Yep, they only deal loads of magic damage. Of course, mods like
> > +life/+mana per kill do work...
> >
> >>So his main equipment goals would be high faster cast rate and lots of
> >>additional life and mana?
> >
> > Yep, and of course resists and perhaps some DR.
>
> Wizardspike and Rhyme shield should nearly max resists in Hell, so there
> are lots of other equipment options.
> And I've got a bunch of combat/offensive skillers.

Skillers are a good addition :)

> > You're right on top with the HF Merc, but Blessed Hammers don't use
> > that much mana, so Insight is not really needed. In my experience at
> > least.
> >
> > Also put 1 point in, uh, Redemption (the aura which reclaims corpses
> > for life/mana), and flash that after, or even during, battles to
> > regain life/mana. Again, no Insight needed.
>
> I'll try that.
> >
> > Beyond that, there's not much to say about this mega-boring build; I
> > finally gathered the 'will' to finish Act V Hell with mine, but it was
> > uneventful at best. Aiming the hammers right is about the only trick
> > needed for it, and the build is ridiculously powerful.
>
> I'd like a char who can rush through late Hell with lots of MF gear
loaded.
> Skellimancer is a nice one on this, but it just takes too much time to
> build up an army...

That's my plan with the Hammerdin as well.

> > What gear have you planned for him? You need loads of resists, because
> > the hammers work best if you're (almost) in the middle of the
> > monsters, so expect take some hits. Also, to be able to teleport in
> > the middle of a pack is nice to have. Enigma is the (expensive) armor
> > of choice, for the Teleport and +skills. However, since I only have
> > one Enigma, mine used a Guardian Angel, for the block and + to max
> > resists. Together with a PDiamonded HoZ (this shield really makes a
> > difference for a Hammerdin and is actually more or less 'mandatory'),
> > and a Wizardspike (there definately are other options, like some of
> > the unique elite Scepters, and the most popular one: HotO), his
> > resists never drop below 90-all even when under a Conviction aura.
> >
> I've got a Wizardspike and high-resist Pally Rhyme shield, so that should
> about cover resists in hell. No HoZ or Enigma, but I think I have some
> Pally ammu with teleport charges.
> Heaven's Light scepter with +3 pally skills for pre-buffing Holy Shield..

I sooooo want a teleport ammy for mine.

short

Hi,

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in
> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
>>
>> I just don't have the time to commit about 10-20 hours of playing
>> normal, especially when all the nice stuff wearable by early 60ish
>> levels wait for the new build.
>>
> I agree here at least :)
> There aren't any real challenges before NM anyway, IMO.

well, nicely twinked, there aren't many challenges in NM, either. But
wreaking havoc on the baddies after a hard days work is a nice way to
relax.

>> I'll leave Charge at 1 and see what I can make of it. Merc has an
>> Insight Partizan now, ethereal Skin of the Flayed One and a Tarnhelm.
>> When he starts falling behind leve-wise or dies to often, Conc will
>> get more points.
>> >
> Good plan. I used Charge a bit through the Maggot Lair, but I usually
> stuck with Normal attack and let the Merc do most of the work.

It'll be a problem getting enough AR with this build. But maybe the points
in BA later will help.

>> Wizardspike and Rhyme shield should nearly max resists in Hell, so
>> there are lots of other equipment options.
>> And I've got a bunch of combat/offensive skillers.
>>
> Skillers are a good addition :)

He just got level 42 and now can use my 4 combat skillers (one with +27
life and one with +31 life).

Regards,

Oliver

Hi,

"short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in

> "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> >
>> I've got a Wizardspike and high-resist Pally Rhyme shield, so that
>> should about cover resists in hell. No HoZ or Enigma, but I think I
>> have some Pally ammu with teleport charges.
>> Heaven's Light scepter with +3 pally skills for pre-buffing Holy
>> Shield..
>>
> I sooooo want a teleport ammy for mine.

how about this one:

Level 48
+2 Combat Skills
+12 res all
Level 2 Teleport (25 charges)

Just about perfect..

> Hi,
>
> "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote in
> > "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I just don't have the time to commit about 10-20 hours of playing
> >> normal, especially when all the nice stuff wearable by early 60ish
> >> levels wait for the new build.
> >>
> > I agree here at least :)
> > There aren't any real challenges before NM anyway, IMO.
> >
> well, nicely twinked, there aren't many challenges in NM, either. But
> wreaking havoc on the baddies after a hard days work is a nice way to
> relax.

Hehe, good point.
I'm still in NM and have BH up to lvl 28 or something :)

> >> I'll leave Charge at 1 and see what I can make of it. Merc has an
> >> Insight Partizan now, ethereal Skin of the Flayed One and a Tarnhelm.
> >> When he starts falling behind leve-wise or dies to often, Conc will
> >> get more points.
> >> >
> > Good plan. I used Charge a bit through the Maggot Lair, but I usually
> > stuck with Normal attack and let the Merc do most of the work.
>
> It'll be a problem getting enough AR with this build. But maybe the points
> in BA later will help.

I guess I should clarify: I used Normal Attack in Normal, and the Merc and
HB where I could in NM :)
I haven't even put more than 1pt in BA yet, I'll max Vigor first, and then
if I need to go with BA.

> >> Wizardspike and Rhyme shield should nearly max resists in Hell, so
> >> there are lots of other equipment options.
> >> And I've got a bunch of combat/offensive skillers.
> >>
> > Skillers are a good addition :)
> >
> He just got level 42 and now can use my 4 combat skillers (one with +27
> life and one with +31 life).

NICE!

short

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> > In article <dag4f7$a1v$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> > Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm finally building a Hammerdin. Started him with -act5 trick and
> >> rushed him to NM. Killed Andy for him, so he could get his HF merc
> >> right away.
> >
> > Too bad you're missing about the only challenge this (boring) build
> > actually has to offer: to survive, while saving up points, until you
> > can get Blessed Hammer and it's synergies going... Oh well...
>
> Boring is right. I've left mine stranded in act 5 NM. I was disgusted with
> the ease with which he cleaned out the CS, it's no challenge and I don't
> like the playing style. Just stand there and spam hammers, step forward,
> spam hammers, step forward, spam hammers.... You get it.

I take it you don't like Sorcs much either? ;o)

short

In article <42cd2ab0$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
short <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message

>> Boring is right. I've left mine stranded in act 5 NM. I was disgusted with
>> the ease with which he cleaned out the CS, it's no challenge and I don't
>> like the playing style. Just stand there and spam hammers, step forward,
>> spam hammers, step forward, spam hammers.... You get it.
>
>I take it you don't like Sorcs much either? ;o)

Huh? The Hammers from a Hammerdin damage like 99.99 (or was it 100%) of
all monsters you encounter..

You try to enter Hell with a ~level 65 FO/CL sorc, and run into your first
Cold/Lightning immune boss pack, with a boss with some nasty secondary
mods... That's a challenge, without quitting and creating a new game...

Regards,

Patrick.

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004

~misfit~ wrote:
> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> > In article <42cd2ab0$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
> > short <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> >>

> > Huh? The Hammers from a Hammerdin damage like 99.99 (or was it 100%)
> > of all monsters you encounter..
> >
> > You try to enter Hell with a ~level 65 FO/CL sorc, and run into your
> > first Cold/Lightning immune boss pack, with a boss with some nasty
> > secondary mods... That's a challenge, without quitting and creating a
> > new game...
> Yeah, what Patrick said. I'm yet to see a hell viable tri-elemental sorc
> build so my one and only playing sorc (Meteorb) has a few difficulties. The
> FO isn't that powerful so, in hell it has to be aimed and ranged exactly to
> do much damage, hard to do if you're being mobbed. Then there's the FI/CI's
> that I have to rely on my merc and static for. A hammerhead doesn't have to
> worry about being mobbed, I just hold shift and spam hammers all day,
> release shift and let him walk forward a bit, still spamming. In fact the
> hammerhead thrives an being mobbed, the faster he gets attacked the faster
> he kills.

In my experience, Lightning Sorceress is VERY dependent on items, you
definitely need high FCR in addition to the usual +skill, +life, and
+resist. I have yet build a good Lightning based Sorceress. However,
Meteorb as mentioned by Misfit, is less item dependent. As an added
advantage, Meteorb Sorceress is naturally three elemental, with Statif
Field being the third element. In the case of FI CI monsters, let
Static and merc do the work. If the boss also has Mana Burn, Extra
Fast, and Fanaticism and is of archer type, then yes, Quit & Save.

Alex.

Hi,

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
> In article <dag4f7$a1v$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>HF Merc with Insight stick?
>>
>>Any other tips?
>
> You're right on top with the HF Merc, but Blessed Hammers don't use
> that much mana, so Insight is not really needed. In my experience at
> least.
>
> Also put 1 point in, uh, Redemption (the aura which reclaims corpses
> for life/mana), and flash that after, or even during, battles to
> regain life/mana. Again, no Insight needed.

tried it and Redemption works like a champ.. Gave my merc an Obedience
thresher instead of Insight and he now does more than 5K damage with the
Conc aura on..

> Beyond that, there's not much to say about this mega-boring build; I
> finally gathered the 'will' to finish Act V Hell with mine, but it was
> uneventful at best. Aiming the hammers right is about the only trick
> needed for it, and the build is ridiculously powerful.

It might be boring, but a build that nearly plays itself is just about
right after a hard day's work.

At level 74 he is now romping through Act1 Hell at /players 6..

Regards,

Oliver

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >>HF Merc with Insight stick?
> >>
> >>Any other tips?
> >
> > You're right on top with the HF Merc, but Blessed Hammers don't use
> > that much mana, so Insight is not really needed. In my experience at
> > least.
> >
> > Also put 1 point in, uh, Redemption (the aura which reclaims corpses
> > for life/mana), and flash that after, or even during, battles to
> > regain life/mana. Again, no Insight needed.
>
> tried it and Redemption works like a champ.. Gave my merc an Obedience
> thresher instead of Insight and he now does more than 5K damage with the
> Conc aura on..

If it is not too late, my Paladin has a normal Prayer merc with
Ethereal Cryptic Axe Insight (or it could be Eth Giant Thresher, I
don't remember exactly). At level 82 with Concentration aura on, he
does over 7K max damage. The Meditation synergized Prayer aura results
in an incredible healing rate. Achmel's poison doesn't have a chance
to reduce his life at all. My Paladin can stand in the middle of
Lister's cousins in a solo 8-player game without losing more than 1/3
of his life bulb. I never turn on any other aura but Conc. B. Hammer
and its synergies are maxed, the rest of the points go to Holy Shield.
Hammer does 12K.

I don't see HF as being more practical than Prayer, because Hammer's
range is fairly short so you'll want them monsters to be close anyways
and once they are in range they'll die shortly thereafter.

~misfit~ wrote:
> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> > In article <42cd2ab0$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
> > short <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> >
> Yeah, what Patrick said. I'm yet to see a hell viable tri-elemental sorc
> build so my one and only playing sorc (Meteorb) has a few difficulties.

I think there have been a few. If I had time, I would look for you but
alas, I do not. The main problem most people have (although I presume
this doesnt apply) is that they expect the sorc to be as powerful as
their Blizz (for example) sorc. Usually, a Firewall, Orb,
Lightning/Chain Lightning Sorc will be OK in Hell (apparently). It
might not be able to solo 8 player games but it can get by, and I
assume that that means it is viable.

I think there was a build posted on dII Sorc forum a year or so back,
using Tal's set. Am sure there was another using Chromatic Ire
(although that could just be my idea that probably wouldnt work).

Chromatic Ire, +2 Ammy, +2 Circ, Viper, AMesh (most expensive). Resists
at up to 45 in Hell, not including Boots, Rings etc.

Skills
20 Firewall
20 FOrb
7 Pre-Reqs
20 Light
20 CLight
4 pre-Reqs

Done at level 80.

Firewall does about 4000 dmg per sec. Orb about 300 (60% CM). Light
6-3500. CL 4-2000.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1121056764.458131.22440
> @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> I always wanted to try a Prayer merc.. I still haven't found an ethereal
> thresher or cryptic axe so far.. How does the healing work on the merc? Can
> he get by with minimal life leech now?

The type of of the polearm doesn't quite matter, we just want the
Meditation aura from Insight to synergize his Prayer aura. Any elite
polearms should do fine even if non ethereal. He won't do much killing
anyways since B. Hammers kill much faster.

My Paladin's merc wears Andariel Visage and Duress Boneweave. Before
able to wear Andariel, he wore Vampire Gaze. He has been able to hold
his own fort, but of course he hasn't taken much damage either since B.
Hammers just kill everything quickly. I have never tested whether he
could survive with zero life leech. But, Iron Maiden aside, he managed
to stay alive with the 8% or so leech provided by Gaze.

The healing rate is absolutely incredible, it overpowers any poison
attack by any monsters I've encountered, except the Mother Maggot when
she dies, but this is always followed by trip back to town anyways. In
fact, her poison damage can only manage to put a very minor dent in my
Paladin's life bulb before he recovers.

> > I don't see HF as being more practical than Prayer, because Hammer's
> > range is fairly short so you'll want them monsters to be close anyways
> > and once they are in range they'll die shortly thereafter.
> >
> If merc could wear an Delirium helmet (so basically no life leech), this
> would replace Holy Freeze quite nicely..

I haven't made a Delirium yet, can't comment on this. I strongly favor
Andariel Visage though, because it also provides IAS. It probably
doesn't help reaching the next breakpoint in this particular merc's
case, but still a good helm.

> Now you got me thinking hard about hiring a prayer merc in hell diff.
> Grrr...

I've read, either in Amazon Basin or Lurker Lounge, that the skill
level of Hell merc is less than that of Normal merc. I've never hired
a Hell merc myself, so I am not sure how much this will affect the
healing rate.