is this a good buy for a used Dell CPX-J laptop

Hi everyone.

My company is selling off a bunch of old hardware, mainly Dell laptops
and HP inkjet printers. We employess get first crack, then they go to a
reseller/refurbisher. The original price on the bundle I'm about to
describe was $300, but our IT people went down to $200 after they didn't
get enough takers.

The laptop is a Dell CPX-J, with a 650Mhz processor, 12GB (minimum) hard
drive, 256 MB of RAM, CD-ROM drive (not writer or DVD), floppy drive, a
Xircom PC-Card 56K modem, and a 3COM PC-Card NIC. Were also get a used
Dell-branded 17-inch CRT monitor, a dock for the laptop with a stand,
and a carrying case. Also a mouse and keyboard. Everything is used and
a max of 5 years old. They're also offering the above for $150, but the
laptop would have a 500Mhz processor.

This seems like a really good price to me...I figure I will add a Wi-Fi
card, another 256MB or RAM, and a combo CDRW/DVD-ROM drive. The laptop
comes with Windows 95 (not 98 or XP, I rechecked) and MS Office 2000. I
figure will go with either Windows 98 or Linux as the OS.

So, good deal, great deal, or stay away? Anything I should know about
this particular laptop model?

Oh, the system tag is 7F3UK.

Trevor Smithon wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> My company is selling off a bunch of old hardware, mainly Dell laptops
> and HP inkjet printers. We employess get first crack, then they go to a
> reseller/refurbisher. The original price on the bundle I'm about to
> describe was $300, but our IT people went down to $200 after they didn't
> get enough takers.
>
> The laptop is a Dell CPX-J, with a 650Mhz processor, 12GB (minimum) hard
> drive, 256 MB of RAM, CD-ROM drive (not writer or DVD), floppy drive, a
> Xircom PC-Card 56K modem, and a 3COM PC-Card NIC. Were also get a used
> Dell-branded 17-inch CRT monitor, a dock for the laptop with a stand,
> and a carrying case. Also a mouse and keyboard. Everything is used and
> a max of 5 years old. They're also offering the above for $150, but the
> laptop would have a 500Mhz processor.
>
> This seems like a really good price to me...I figure I will add a Wi-Fi
> card, another 256MB or RAM, and a combo CDRW/DVD-ROM drive. The laptop
> comes with Windows 95 (not 98 or XP, I rechecked) and MS Office 2000. I
> figure will go with either Windows 98 or Linux as the OS.
>
> So, good deal, great deal, or stay away? Anything I should know about
> this particular laptop model?
>
> Oh, the system tag is 7F3UK.

Well, I have a CPX-J 750MHz and it runs fine. Runs XP no problem, and is
fast enough for general 'office' work etc. I'm happy with it.

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Trevor Smithon wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> My company is selling off a bunch of old hardware, mainly Dell laptops
>> and HP inkjet printers. We employess get first crack, then they go to a
>> reseller/refurbisher. The original price on the bundle I'm about to
>> describe was $300, but our IT people went down to $200 after they didn't
>> get enough takers.
>>
>> The laptop is a Dell CPX-J, with a 650Mhz processor, 12GB (minimum) hard
>> drive, 256 MB of RAM, CD-ROM drive (not writer or DVD), floppy drive, a
>> Xircom PC-Card 56K modem, and a 3COM PC-Card NIC. Were also get a used
>> Dell-branded 17-inch CRT monitor, a dock for the laptop with a stand, and
>> a carrying case. Also a mouse and keyboard. Everything is used and a
>> max of 5 years old. They're also offering the above for $150, but the
>> laptop would have a 500Mhz processor.
>>
>> This seems like a really good price to me...I figure I will add a Wi-Fi
>> card, another 256MB or RAM, and a combo CDRW/DVD-ROM drive. The laptop
>> comes with Windows 95 (not 98 or XP, I rechecked) and MS Office 2000. I
>> figure will go with either Windows 98 or Linux as the OS.
>>
>> So, good deal, great deal, or stay away? Anything I should know about
>> this particular laptop model?
>>
>> Oh, the system tag is 7F3UK.
>
> Well, I have a CPX-J 750MHz and it runs fine. Runs XP no problem, and is
> fast enough for general 'office' work etc. I'm happy with it.

That's a deal I'd make.

I've got a CPxJ 650 myself (650mhz/512mb/12gb hdd/CDRW/Xircom combo card)
and use a wireless DLink card with it and XP Home. It rocks for an old
girl.

Be very aware that retail prices for both the 256 SODIMM and the DVD/CDRW
combo upgrades will be ridiculously high retail.

I purchased those upgrades used on ebay from reputable sellers because I
felt that cost/return wasn't worth it buying them new.

Enjoy. These models, while not sexy, are bullet-proof.

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Trevor Smithon wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone.
>>>
>>>My company is selling off a bunch of old hardware, mainly Dell laptops
>>>and HP inkjet printers. We employess get first crack, then they go to a
>>>reseller/refurbisher. The original price on the bundle I'm about to
>>>describe was $300, but our IT people went down to $200 after they didn't
>>>get enough takers.
>>>
>>>The laptop is a Dell CPX-J, with a 650Mhz processor, 12GB (minimum) hard
>>>drive, 256 MB of RAM, CD-ROM drive (not writer or DVD), floppy drive, a
>>>Xircom PC-Card 56K modem, and a 3COM PC-Card NIC. Were also get a used
>>>Dell-branded 17-inch CRT monitor, a dock for the laptop with a stand, and
>>>a carrying case. Also a mouse and keyboard. Everything is used and a
>>>max of 5 years old. They're also offering the above for $150, but the
>>>laptop would have a 500Mhz processor.
>>>
>>>This seems like a really good price to me...I figure I will add a Wi-Fi
>>>card, another 256MB or RAM, and a combo CDRW/DVD-ROM drive. The laptop
>>>comes with Windows 95 (not 98 or XP, I rechecked) and MS Office 2000. I
>>>figure will go with either Windows 98 or Linux as the OS.
>>>
>>>So, good deal, great deal, or stay away? Anything I should know about
>>>this particular laptop model?
>>>
>>>Oh, the system tag is 7F3UK.
>>
>>Well, I have a CPX-J 750MHz and it runs fine. Runs XP no problem, and is
>>fast enough for general 'office' work etc. I'm happy with it.
>

> That's a deal I'd make.
>
> I've got a CPxJ 650 myself (650mhz/512mb/12gb hdd/CDRW/Xircom combo card)
> and use a wireless DLink card with it and XP Home. It rocks for an old
> girl.
>
> Be very aware that retail prices for both the 256 SODIMM and the DVD/CDRW
> combo upgrades will be ridiculously high retail.
>
> I purchased those upgrades used on ebay from reputable sellers because I
> felt that cost/return wasn't worth it buying them new.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't even gotten retail prices yet. I'll check
ebay before I buy anything.

> Enjoy. These models, while not sexy, are bullet-proof.

Aweseome. I'm gonna go ahead and buy one bundle for myself, maybe
another for resale.

"Trevor Smithon" <trevor_smithson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>>Well, I have a CPX-J 750MHz and it runs fine. Runs XP no problem, and is
>>>fast enough for general 'office' work etc. I'm happy with it.
>>

>> That's a deal I'd make.
>>
>> I've got a CPxJ 650 myself (650mhz/512mb/12gb hdd/CDRW/Xircom combo card)
>> and use a wireless DLink card with it and XP Home. It rocks for an old
>> girl.
>>
>> Be very aware that retail prices for both the 256 SODIMM and the DVD/CDRW
>> combo upgrades will be ridiculously high retail.
>>
>> I purchased those upgrades used on ebay from reputable sellers because I
>> felt that cost/return wasn't worth it buying them new.
>
> Thanks for the tip, I haven't even gotten retail prices yet. I'll check
> ebay before I buy anything.
>

>> Enjoy. These models, while not sexy, are bullet-proof.
>
> Aweseome. I'm gonna go ahead and buy one bundle for myself, maybe another
> for resale.

Joel,

At a minimum, don't run XP on these with less than the max 512mb RAM. Sure,
it will work with 256mb, but your experience will be less than good.

Just a suggestion.

Enjoy.

Stew

As mentioned, solid machines for general office processing. I have run
mine with Oracle DBMS, Apache Web Server, Oracle Forms Server, and
Oracle Applications server for customer demo purposes. And with only
256MB ram.

Keep in mind that unless the machine has only 1 256MB ram, you will
have to buy 2 256 MB SDRAM @$119 each from crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=FEF2550FA5CA7304&WSMD=Latitude%20CPx%20Series&WSPN=CT184808

Mike

Or probably less from elsewhere. Yes, 256MB SODIMMs are getting scarce, but
$119 ???? ... Ben Myers