Killer graphics performance at value price!!!

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33642353" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33642353</A>

The benchmarks give a hint of the performance of the upcoming r9500 pro and non-pro but the killer part is these cards will launch at $220 and $179 price tags WOW. That means at launch some companies should be selling for cheaper these cards are faster than the ti 4600 and ti 4200 and cheaper respectively especially when eye candy is turned on (FSAA and anisotropic filtering). If this is true then ATI does not have to worry if the NV30 is a gazillion times faster than the r300 the value segment is where the money is at. To premiere this friday the original pics were pulled from the german site but still avaliable in the above link.Imagine in a few weeks time better than Ti 4600 performance at $180 or less price tag (9500 pro)

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Didn´t someone post a message almost identical to yours?

NVidia will probably release value-version(s) of the NV30, just like they did with the GF4Ti line-up. And look at how many people are satisfied with the ti4200, which is a cheper revision of the Ti4600. If Nidia only get´s the prices right the value-cards will be interesting to the budget-concerned buyer.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Yeah big difference though the value version of the nv30 is coming out next year by then the 9500 will be that much cheaper not mention ATI will have the r350 and its various flavours out by then or soon after. My point competition equals happy customers.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I'll pay extra so I don't ever have to deal with ATI's drivers. My 8500 only lasted 7 days in my system.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
A couple things here.

First, the reason the R9700 Pro whooped the Ti4600 so bad with FSAA and aniso is cause it had massive bandwidth of near 20GB/s. This is using the 256bit DDR memory interface.

The R9500/Pro will only use 128bit DDR memory. Therefore, it shouldn't have any advantage over a Ti4200/4600 in AA/aniso. Also, the R9500/Pro are gonna have usually 64MB with some R9500 Pros having 128MB.

Second, other than AGP8X (which is a moot point) and DX9, the R9500 will be the same as a Ti4200 64MB. Now the Ti4200 64MB are way cheap.

I'm not saying they won't be good cards, just that they aren't probably gonna wallop the GF4 Ti cards as bad as the R9700/Pros are/do.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Defective

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I am glad to see an abundance of offerings from ATI. They are definitely coming out swinging. I think when I able able to afford my next video card (probably well after the NV30 is released) there will be a good selection to choose from. I like competition and choices.

---------------

Stupidity should be painful.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Competition is always good for the consumer. Brings down prices and things...
Then again, the first time buyer could be confused by all the different offerings. Remember GF4mx?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah and ATi came right back with the R9000....

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

eden

Champion
Those tests, nothing impressive, very weak in fact. Competing the Ti4600 is not the kind of value card I want now. I want one that still remains UP THERE. We'll have to wait till NV30 so the R9700 drops in price, then you'll see why I'll remove WEAK when the R9700 has that low price tag.

Besides, your words describe it, 128bit paths, probably even more stripped pipeline, what's that much to rave? DX9? That won't be mainstream until half next year!

EDIT: Besides, they picked the wrong bench to test. 3dMark is very nVidia biased in the results, we need something more known, like UT2003. Maybe then I might retract my statements.
--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/20/02 00:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Especially with the new 40.xx drivers. They've been giving an additional 700-1000 points in 3D Mark. You wonder what they're not telling you.

Well, as for DX9, DX9 games should be around the corner and you see what happened to DX7 cards in DX8 games. Although it shouldn't be as bad for DX8 cards (cause they have pixel and vertex shaders, just lower version) it'll still put the DX9 cards up. I think we need a 3D Mark 2003. And yes, 3D Mark doesn't mean everything, but it seems like everyone puts its importance far ahead of anything else doesn't it?

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I´ve read somewhere that a few DX9 games will be out by christmas and several more in the beggining of next year. Is it too much to buy a game just because of killer graphics?

eden

Champion
Not if you're gonna probe them! :smile:

Seriously though, there will be some, but they sure as hell won't have a total implementation. Programmers have a hard time mastering DX8, as outlined in the Mojo Day article. ATi created that day to TEACH the programmers, as well as take the opportunity to introduce them to what could make future games even more optimized, RenderMonkey.
They need the education for DX9 as well (except John Carmack heheh), so I doubt we'll see any halo of life effects yet.
As I said, for mainstream DX9, wait a year.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
This is offtopic but everytime I think of ATI's Mojo Day, I think of Austin Powers, lol. :lol:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.