Linux + raid

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Knew something would get in the way! First I tried linux on my bro's nonfancy standard comp and it installed and works fine. Decided to go to my comp, which uses a raid0 of 2xD740X drives 80GB total. There's hda (250GB idea drive connected to mobo), hde (first maxtor in raid), hdg (2nd one) and then HDG1 which seems to be the raid. It says u want to install it to partition implying hdd, choose one:
WD 250GB
Maxtor 37GB
Maxtor 37GB

how do I make it see raid 80GB??

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What motherboard with what raid controller?

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, that card should be supported properly in linux... What distro are you using and what version number?

You can try to get a 2.6.x kernel gentoo live CD as that WILL have drivers for it all, and I hear the latest knoppix works really well too. At least you'll be able to set your drives up with either of those cds and then boot from whatever you wanted to use to finish the install.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Mandrake 9.2 still uses the 2.4.22 (or 24?) based kernel. You get all sorts of goodies and drivers with the 2.6.x series of kernels. I had problems with my SATA controller with the gentoo 1.4 (running 2.4.22 kernel) live cd, but I had no problems using the 2.6.x based live cd.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
It should be workable. Maybe track down the ataraid HowTo and see it there's anything useful in there. I've been running Linux with Promise ATA RAID-1 for a couple of years now, and I know it can work under the 2.4 kernel... it's just a bit tricky getting it all set up the first time. You may need to pass parameters at boot time, but let us know if Mandrake works for you.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>