PNY GF4 TI4600 & AGP 4x

froggy32

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2002
I just got a PNY GF4 TI4600 and am running it on a Biostar M7MKE MoBo with Athlon slot-A 900mHz processor, 640MB of ram, and a 250 watt power supply. When I enable AGP 4X in the bios my system becomes unstable. It freezes any time I try to enter a 3D app or game or even when I try to run dxdiag. Even at AGP 2X the card kills my old ATI Rage Furry Maxx, but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas. This Mobo is a few years old, but according to the specs it should be able to run at 4X. What can I try (besides an upgrade - I know it's time, but one thing at a time :) Thanks.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
If you know anyone with (preferably a similar system) a more powerfull power-suply go and try the card out in their system, it could just be that your PSu isn´t enough.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, your board can't run stably at AGP4x. It was supposed to, but there was a flaw in the chipset that caused problems. Go back about 1.5 years in this forum and you'll find it was standard practice to turn AGP4x off in BIOS for VIA chipsets at the time.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>