XP HOME ED.
SHUTTLE AS45 SIS648 MB W/ 8X AGP 533FSB/ USB 2.0
1 GIG PC2700 DDR PC333
MAXTOR 2X 40GB 7200 ATA 133 W/RAID-0 STRIPPING
RADEON 9700 PRO
SOUND BLASTER X-GAMER 5.1
16X DVD
40X12X48 CD-RW-EIDE

My problem is when i booted up my cpu from the first time it would not load past the XP icon..froze. So i changed out my 9700 pro card and put in my geforce 2mx 32 and it worked fine. Next i installed XP service pack 1. The cpu with the radeon 9700 installed still will not load past the XP load. Any comments suggestions are greatly appreciated. So far i am very disappointed in the incompatibility of this card. If i can't fix i will send it back and get ti4600 and money....don't really wanna have to resort to that. any help please!!!!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of people are having similar problems and a lot of them are blaming the card. But upon diagnosis it usually turns out to be a power problem.

Once the power supply has been verified OK with that card, some people are having problems with "that chipset and that card" running at AGP8x. I don't believe it's the chipset or the card, but motherboad/BIOS problems. If you look around, you'll find the boards least likely to work properly with AGP8x are also the ones least likely to be stable with DDR400. Which would indicate a problem with either the board design or the BIOS where fast memory transfers are concerned. And AGP8x uses faster memory transfers than AGP4x. So AGP8x might be causing memory overflow errors on these boards. I don't hear anyone complaining about DDR400 compatability with the Gigabyte GA-8SG667. But then, I don't hear anyone complaining about AGP8x compatability with that board either.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Chase121

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
One a side note, I was one that was having this problem and Crashman pointed out that it might be a PSU problem, (Cause of the random reboots, lock-ups etc). I did change the PSU to a 550 and still got same resaults, still locking up and random reboots. After more investagation it came down to the CPU. Tested with a different CPU and what do you know... all went well. After 3 weeks of toying around and hours of messing around, who would have even known it was a bad CPU, but there you have it folks.

Just a side not, and thanks to Crashman for helping me out, though it didnt pin point the problem, it did bring up a valid point.

Chase121

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
Also after talking to ATI, they did mention that many are having problems with MotherBoards with 8x AGP. The tech did say the updating the Bios have been solving the problem. So for those that are having this problem... get the latest bios from you MB company.