Looking for cookie-cutter guides for Sorc, Barb and Pally

Hey all,

I've been having a blast in SP MF'ing with my Summoner Necro, and he's
starting to find some choice gear. So choice in fact that I've been
considering trying out these characters even though I've hardly even played
them before. Could those of you in the know post some links to guides for
simple (completely green beginner) builds for these three characters? For
example, I tried a pally years ago, but just couldn't get the gist of how
the defensive and offensive auras worked (specifically in terms of when to
activate them, how long do they last, how do they work together). I need
REAL basic playing info as well as technical advice!

It would be fun to try out some of the gear I've found on the proper
characters, but I don't want to waste my time building one that's going to
useless at higher levels 'cause I didn't know what I was doing!

Dave S.
7 answers Last reply
More about looking cookie cutter guides sorc barb pally

    Hi,

    "David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've been having a blast in SP MF'ing with my Summoner Necro, and he's
    > starting to find some choice gear. So choice in fact that I've been
    > considering trying out these characters even though I've hardly even
    > played them before. Could those of you in the know post some links to
    > guides for simple (completely green beginner) builds for these three
    > characters? For example, I tried a pally years ago, but just couldn't
    > get the gist of how the defensive and offensive auras worked
    > (specifically in terms of when to activate them, how long do they
    > last, how do they work together). I need REAL basic playing info as
    > well as technical advice!

    as you have your MF char already, the next build I'd do is an Enchantress.
    She'll boost your new chars to higher levels in no time. I can get a new
    build to about level 60 with her and the -act5 trick in about 6 hours (or
    maybe less).

    If I find I don't like the build or my own additions don't work out, I
    still can rush him to Hell Hellforge for the rune (about another 3-4
    hours).

    A nice rushing char for Hell would be a Hammerdin - I'm just doing one and
    he is already level 84. He's grossly overpowere and some say boring to
    play.

    Check these links for more guides than you'll ever need:

    http://theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/
    http://forums.diabloii.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

    > It would be fun to try out some of the gear I've found on the proper
    > characters, but I don't want to waste my time building one that's
    > going to useless at higher levels 'cause I didn't know what I was
    > doing!

    See above. I rush my new builds to level 60ish when they can wear most of
    their high-end gear and their skills start getting really effective.

    Builds I've done:

    Barb: ThrowBarbs
    Sorc: Enchantress, Meteorb
    Pally: Zealot, Hammerdin

    Except the Enchantress, all these builds can solo Hell. Zealot will need
    help when OK's are around, though.

    Regards,

    Oliver

    Digression ahead.

    Oliver Wenzel wrote:

    > Except the Enchantress, all these builds can solo Hell. Zealot will need
    > help when OK's are around, though.

    Enchantress surely deserves much more credits than she currently
    receives. Especially in the Hardcore realm, everybody has an
    Enchantress just to boost their new characters. I remember reading an
    excellent Enchantress guide in the Amazon Basin site, by someone named
    Mongo-Jerry or something close to that.

    I only have one set of CD Keys, therefore starting such character that
    can do nothing else but to boost a new character makes no sense to me.
    I do have an Enchantress that does quite well in Hell. Not following
    the aforementioned guide word by word, my Enchantress is wearing the
    Tal Rasha set, with Nova as backup skill, her merc is Prayer with
    Insight. She runs Hell Baal about as fast as any Meteorb /
    FireBall-FOrb that I have encountered.

    In fact, I am now in the middle of building a second Enchantress, this
    time with a warrior setup. My planned gears include Stormshield,
    Verdungo, Dracul's, Sandstorm Trek, and upgraded Um'ed Skin of
    Vipermagi. I'm still thinking whether to use Passion or Kingslayer.
    With Passion I may need a backup skill, with Kingslayer I can probably
    get away with only high level Static Field.

    "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > "David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I've been having a blast in SP MF'ing with my Summoner Necro, and he's
    >> starting to find some choice gear. So choice in fact that I've been
    >> considering trying out these characters even though I've hardly even
    >> played them before. Could those of you in the know post some links to
    >> guides for simple (completely green beginner) builds for these three
    >> characters? For example, I tried a pally years ago, but just couldn't
    >> get the gist of how the defensive and offensive auras worked
    >> (specifically in terms of when to activate them, how long do they
    >> last, how do they work together). I need REAL basic playing info as
    >> well as technical advice!
    >
    > as you have your MF char already, the next build I'd do is an Enchantress.
    > She'll boost your new chars to higher levels in no time. I can get a new
    > build to about level 60 with her and the -act5 trick in about 6 hours (or
    > maybe less).

    Forgive my ignorance here, Oliver, but how do you get her in the same game
    with another character? I'm playing SP exclusively now, and haven't heard
    of a hack or mod that allows two SP characters in the same game.

    > If I find I don't like the build or my own additions don't work out, I
    > still can rush him to Hell Hellforge for the rune (about another 3-4
    > hours).
    >
    > A nice rushing char for Hell would be a Hammerdin - I'm just doing one and
    > he is already level 84. He's grossly overpowere and some say boring to
    > play.
    >
    > Check these links for more guides than you'll ever need:
    >
    > http://theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/
    > http://forums.diabloii.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9

    Great! Thanks for the links!

    >> It would be fun to try out some of the gear I've found on the proper
    >> characters, but I don't want to waste my time building one that's
    >> going to useless at higher levels 'cause I didn't know what I was
    >> doing!
    >
    > See above. I rush my new builds to level 60ish when they can wear most of
    > their high-end gear and their skills start getting really effective.
    >
    > Builds I've done:
    >
    > Barb: ThrowBarbs
    > Sorc: Enchantress, Meteorb
    > Pally: Zealot, Hammerdin
    >
    > Except the Enchantress, all these builds can solo Hell. Zealot will need
    > help when OK's are around, though.

    Do any of these involve a lot of mouse clicking? One of the reasons I love
    the Summoner build so much is that it doesn't tax my index finger as much as
    many of the other builds.

    Dave S.

    > "Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message

    >> as you have your MF char already, the next build I'd do is an
    >> Enchantress. She'll boost your new chars to higher levels in no time.
    >> I can get a new build to about level 60 with her and the -act5 trick
    >> in about 6 hours (or maybe less).
    >
    > Forgive my ignorance here, Oliver, but how do you get her in the same
    > game with another character? I'm playing SP exclusively now, and
    > haven't heard of a hack or mod that allows two SP characters in the
    > same game.

    you'll need Win XP pro for this, afaik. Activate fast user switching. I
    start the first Diablo session on user 1 and start an TCP/IP game. Switch
    to user 2 and start a second Diablo session, join the first TCP/IP game -
    Voila! And I even can start a third session on User 3 - but it's quite
    complicated to keep track of 3 sessions and who is where.

    I believe there are programs that allow to run two sessions on the same
    user. Search for Gunde's faq here in this group on that.

    Enchantress with level 30ish Enchant (Warmth/Fire Mastery) gives the rushee
    2.5K fire damage and high AR. My level 33 Enchant lasts about 15 minutes,
    so rushee goes to a secure area, Enchantress does the Enchant there, and
    rushee is ready to rock'n'roll. Switch to /players 8 and levels are just
    rolling by:

    - Start new char at level 33 (-act5 trick)
    - Rush him through Normal Act5
    - Get Anya quest for resists
    - In NM, kill Andy to get to Act2
    - Act2, get Horadric Cube and Merc
    25 minutes

    - NM Act1 Enchanted levelling at /players 8
    Level 34-42 in 45 minutes

    - Another session
    Level 42-48 in 45 minutes

    At this point, it is time to get to Act2 and finish it as fast as possible
    as only late parts of Act2 have level 48 monsters. Act3/4 have monster
    levels from about 50 to 60, so that's the place to level now.

    >> Except the Enchantress, all these builds can solo Hell. Zealot will
    >> need help when OK's are around, though.
    >
    > Do any of these involve a lot of mouse clicking? One of the reasons I
    > love the Summoner build so much is that it doesn't tax my index finger
    > as much as many of the other builds.

    Hehe, I also don't like too much clicking or needing many hotkeys. You know
    that you can assign a skill to the middle mouse button? For many builds, I
    have Weapon Switch on the middle mouse button. Most used skills on QWER and
    then potions are just one row higher..

    And you know you can make backup copies of your chars? Just copy/paste the
    SAVE directory under programs/diablo II to another directory and you can
    restore it after something goes wrong..

    Regards,

    Oliver

    Hi,

    "Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1121405991.229451.279520
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    > Oliver Wenzel wrote:
    >
    >> Except the Enchantress, all these builds can solo Hell. Zealot will need
    >> help when OK's are around, though.
    >
    > Enchantress surely deserves much more credits than she currently
    > receives. Especially in the Hardcore realm, everybody has an
    > Enchantress just to boost their new characters. I remember reading an
    > excellent Enchantress guide in the Amazon Basin site, by someone named
    > Mongo-Jerry or something close to that.

    yeah, I think I mostly followed that build. She can't do much in Hell, but
    one of my other chars rushed her through, so she has most waypoints and can
    cast her Enchant everywhere.

    > I only have one set of CD Keys, therefore starting such character that
    > can do nothing else but to boost a new character makes no sense to me.
    > I do have an Enchantress that does quite well in Hell. Not following
    > the aforementioned guide word by word, my Enchantress is wearing the
    > Tal Rasha set, with Nova as backup skill, her merc is Prayer with
    > Insight. She runs Hell Baal about as fast as any Meteorb /
    > FireBall-FOrb that I have encountered.

    I only need one CD key for my TCP/IP (LAN) games. But getting a second set
    of the game should'nt cost more than US$ 20.

    I might start a second Enchantress with FO as backup skill. My current one
    has 13 points into Lightning mastery, so at Level 78 there's no secondary
    skill she could really use.

    > In fact, I am now in the middle of building a second Enchantress, this
    > time with a warrior setup. My planned gears include Stormshield,
    > Verdungo, Dracul's, Sandstorm Trek, and upgraded Um'ed Skin of
    > Vipermagi. I'm still thinking whether to use Passion or Kingslayer.
    > With Passion I may need a backup skill, with Kingslayer I can probably
    > get away with only high level Static Field.

    I like Kingslayer.. Lots of damage mods and 30%IAS helps a lot.. I guess
    you should get one of the cold armors to boost defence somewhat. And ES, as
    you already have maxed Warmth..

    Regards,

    Oliver

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:51:23 GMT, "David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've been having a blast in SP MF'ing with my Summoner Necro, and he's
    >starting to find some choice gear. So choice in fact that I've been
    >considering trying out these characters even though I've hardly even played
    >them before. Could those of you in the know post some links to guides for
    >simple (completely green beginner) builds for these three characters? For
    >example, I tried a pally years ago, but just couldn't get the gist of how
    >the defensive and offensive auras worked (specifically in terms of when to
    >activate them, how long do they last, how do they work together). I need
    >REAL basic playing info as well as technical advice!
    >
    >It would be fun to try out some of the gear I've found on the proper
    >characters, but I don't want to waste my time building one that's going to
    >useless at higher levels 'cause I didn't know what I was doing!
    >
    >Dave S.

    http://strategy.diabloii.net is your friend.

    that being said, the absolute best paladin build (i love it) is the avenger.
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=510

    eudas
    Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

    Oliver,

    > you'll need Win XP pro for this, afaik. Activate fast user switching. I
    > start the first Diablo session on user 1 and start an TCP/IP game. Switch
    > to user 2 and start a second Diablo session, join the first TCP/IP game -
    > Voila!

    Thanks for the info!!! Now I can trade items between my characters in SP!!

    Sandra

Cookie Video Games