Not sure who to blame the artifacts on...

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
but I've found a definitive occurance of a glitch. I was playing the Hitman 2 demo for the first time. I put the settings all the way sans the anisotropic filter(went with Trilinear).

When the demo started, as I looked to the right(green hill w/some trees)I started getting ALOT of jagged artifacts start covering the screen. When I looked back to the left they went away a little but not fully.

I noticed when I bring the object and world details down to about 1/2 - 2/3 the artifacts started going away. And when I started the game with these lower level setting, the game looked fine.

Does this mean it's my PSU? But I figured instead of glitches, shouldn't I just be getting slower framerates? This leads me to believe it's a faulty video card. Man I hope not. If I do have a bad PSU, would leaving the video card in "hurt" it?

I've got an empty PCI slot next to the AGP. Should I put a slot fan to help cool the card. Or would that just make the problem worse because it's taking more juice from an already overworked PSU? Maybe leave the brace covering off so more air can circulate? I just though this might contaminate my case.

I have no idea.

Help.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If you're getting artifacts, I really don't think it's the PSU's problem. It's most likely the VRAM heating up too much. Are you running o/ced?

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
That's the scary thing. I'm not OC'ing at all guys.

Running stock 250/513. Only OC'd for benchmarks(which ran stable). Then returned to default.

Should I put a slot fan? I don't see how it could be overhearting. It's got a great HSF.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, at stock speeds that shouldn't be happening. You could try putting a fan there. If the artifacts go away, then you'll know it was the heat. If not, then it's something else.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Interesting how it seems popular to blame the PSU first...

Hope you get the problem fixed.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I think your jumping the gun here. If its ONLY happening in the Hitman 2 demo then its the game. I found that demo to be pretty buggy.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
I think your jumping the gun here. If its ONLY happening in the Hitman 2 demo then its the game. I found that demo to be pretty buggy.
I'm inclined to agree, if artifacts aren't showing up in other games then you don't really have a problem. Also, you might check your DirectX or OpenGL settings. Some extensions, compressed texture, and/or other features aren't supported by many games. These will sometimes cause artifacts.

P.S. When you have a problem that you think could be hardware, I'd put down your computers specs. People can identify problems more easily and provide more accurate help.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I have a <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">previous thread</A> which explained that I was getting artifacts in other games too. Not just the Hitman 2 demo. I used the demo as an example of a <b>constant, definitive</b> glitch to use as reference.

I thought it was the PSU possibly because that seems to be the problem with alot of hardware related issues. Plus I have a sh*%ty Compaq w/ a proprietary PSU.

Sorry about not putting my specs. I forget because I've done it in so many other posts.

AMD Athlon Xp 1500+
512mb Crucial PC2100
40gb Maxtor 7200rpm
GF4 Ti4200 64mb
Windows XP Home

I run games at 1024x768 w/ a 17" Samsung SyncMaster 753DF.

My refresh rate is 85hz.

I'm using Det. 30.82 drivers.

I really hope you guys are right and that's it a problem with the demo.

I'll check my settings. Do you recommend some safe settings that I should have?

Thanks for all the help guys. :smile:

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
If you get the same problem in a lot of games I doubt it´s the demo´s fault. I just have to critisize brand-made PCs, I´m not saying they´re all bad, but especially older ones just suck.

Sorry I couldn´t help, good luck in solving the issue.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I actually dismissed the PSU at first. Artifacts are usually the result of te VRAM being too hot. (or just plain crappy programming.)

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Well I've got some good news.

It appears to be the demo. I just got the retail version and so far so good.

I'm running the game on completely maxed details, anisotropic filtering all the way, and 2x FSAA. Running beautifully!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm probably still gonna buy a slot fan though. Hopefully I won't have to post any more artifact problems.