MDR versus Resists

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I've got a lvl 60 barb in NM. He's got fire/ice/lightning resists in
the mid 20-30 range. When he goes up against Trav he really feels the
sting of the blizzard and the chain lightning.

Yesterday NM cuoncil dropped a Raven Fire (I think that's it) ring with
15% fire absorb and 13 MDR. I switched to that ring and actually
dropped a bit in my cold resists to the upper teens, however, the
blizzard and chain lightning no longer hurts. It's gone from deadly to
pretty much annoying.

Now, I realise that blizzard & chain lightning operate on a 25
frame/sec base, and MDR reduces damage per frame, but I had no idea
that MDR made such a huge difference. My question is, If I can get my
MDR up maybe 40 with Gaze, Bane, and Raven Frost, could I conceivable
walk around hell with zero or negative resists, or would I still need
to worry about scrounging resists gear too?

-Jason

Jason wrote:
> I've got a lvl 60 barb in NM. He's got fire/ice/lightning resists in
> the mid 20-30 range. When he goes up against Trav he really feels the
> sting of the blizzard and the chain lightning.
>
> Yesterday NM cuoncil dropped a Raven Fire (I think that's it) ring with
> 15% fire absorb and 13 MDR. I switched to that ring and actually
> dropped a bit in my cold resists to the upper teens, however, the
> blizzard and chain lightning no longer hurts. It's gone from deadly to
> pretty much annoying.
>
> Now, I realise that blizzard & chain lightning operate on a 25
> frame/sec base, and MDR reduces damage per frame, but I had no idea
> that MDR made such a huge difference. My question is, If I can get my
> MDR up maybe 40 with Gaze, Bane, and Raven Frost, could I conceivable
> walk around hell with zero or negative resists, or would I still need
> to worry about scrounging resists gear too?

The ring was Dwarf Star.

Check out this thread on the AB. In short, a couple of people have
tried but ultimately gave up on the idea of MDR.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=50841&st=80

You may want to check our Tommi Gustafson's page for more info about,
well, everything

http://users.tkk.fi/~tgustafs/diablochars.html

"Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a lvl 60 barb in NM. He's got fire/ice/lightning resists in
> the mid 20-30 range. When he goes up against Trav he really feels the
> sting of the blizzard and the chain lightning.
>
> Yesterday NM cuoncil dropped a Raven Fire (I think that's it) ring with
> 15% fire absorb and 13 MDR. I switched to that ring and actually
> dropped a bit in my cold resists to the upper teens, however, the
> blizzard and chain lightning no longer hurts. It's gone from deadly to
> pretty much annoying.
>
> Now, I realise that blizzard & chain lightning operate on a 25
> frame/sec base, and MDR reduces damage per frame, but I had no idea
> that MDR made such a huge difference. My question is, If I can get my
> MDR up maybe 40 with Gaze, Bane, and Raven Frost, could I conceivable
> walk around hell with zero or negative resists, or would I still need
> to worry about scrounging resists gear too?

You may look more for absorb than mdr. Get a rising sun, lightsaber, tgods,
etc and you get healed by all those elemental attacks.

An ES sorc lives or dies by her DR and MDR, with 25-30 dr and mdr and lvl 40
ES pretty much everything gets negated and nothing comes thru. Until of
course the mana burner shows up and ES goes bye-bye.

In .09 I had a VLLD sin who had enough MDR that standing in a Lvl10 WoF
trap only caused 1 point of damage per hit.