Adding Wireless Router to Existing Network/Router ?

My home is hardwired with a central DSL modem and router in a closet.
My office computer is connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet
wall jack. I would like to add a wireless router to my office computer
while leaving the regular router and modem connected and working for
the entire system.

I don't want to have to buy wireless cards for all my home computers
but would like to access the office computer wirelessly from several
laptops.

Can I simply connect the the wireless router to the office wall jack
and my office computer? If so, how do I address the wireless router to
talk to the main router/dsl modem?

The setup would look like this:

External cable> dsl modem> router> cat 5 cable to office> wireless
router> office computer.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about adding wireless router existing network router

    drs2talk@hotmail.com (drs) wrote in

    > Can I simply connect the the wireless router to the office wall jack
    > and my office computer? If so, how do I address the wireless router to
    > talk to the main router/dsl modem?

    You either buy an Access point or turn your wireless router into an access
    point.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    drs <drs2talk@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > My home is hardwired with a central DSL modem and router in a closet.
    > My office computer is connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet
    > wall jack. I would like to add a wireless router to my office computer
    > while leaving the regular router and modem connected and working for
    > the entire system.

    Do you want to connect your office computer via wireless?
    Or do you want to leave everything as it is, but also be able to connect a new
    system via wireless?

    > I don't want to have to buy wireless cards for all my home computers
    > but would like to access the office computer wirelessly from several
    > laptops.

    No need for that.

    > Can I simply connect the the wireless router to the office wall jack
    > and my office computer? If so, how do I address the wireless router to
    > talk to the main router/dsl modem?

    Probably.

    > The setup would look like this:

    > External cable> dsl modem> router> cat 5 cable to office> wireless
    > router> office computer.

    With most wireless routers, you can set the WAN address to something static
    (so that it doesn't hang waiting for DHCP) and turn off the DHCP server in
    the new router. Plug the existing cable into a LAN port on the new router,
    and plug your office computer into another of the LAN ports. If you don't
    get a "link" on the feed from the old router, you might need a crossover
    cable instead of a normal one.

    If all you want to do is surf the web, and not talk between computers in
    your house for file and print sharing, you can plug the existing cable into
    the WAN port of the wireless router. That gives some strange addressing,
    but you'll probably never notice unless you try to share something across
    the router's two networks.

    You could also buy a WAP instead of a wireless router if you are going to
    connect your office computer wirelessly, and have no wired connections at
    that location. Those used to be more expensive, but not so much anymore.

    --
    ---

    Clarence,

    I tried your solution and at first had no luck. I just couldn't get
    the wireless router to talk to the internet or other computers. I did
    some further research and found a Netgear note suggesting removing
    Windows XP Hotfix Q815485. A link (or do a search on Netgear for
    'hotfix') to the Netgear article discussing this problem is:
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/query.idq?OriginalQuery=hotfix&CiScope=%2F&CiMaxRecordsPerPage=10&TemplateName=query&CiSort=rank%5Bd%5D

    Once I removed the Hotfix, your solution worked as advertised.

    Many thanks.

    Disabled DHCP on wireless router.
    Plugged the office computer line into one of the wireless LAN ports.
    Connected the wireless and wired routers with a cable between 2 LAN
    ports.
    (I think I ended up using a crossover cable)
    Left the WAN port on the wireless router unplugged.

    On 24 Jun 2004 10:21:00 -0700, drs2talk@hotmail.com (drs) wrote:

    >My home is hardwired with a central DSL modem and router in a closet.
    >My office computer is connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet
    >wall jack. I would like to add a wireless router to my office computer
    >while leaving the regular router and modem connected and working for
    >the entire system.
    >
    >I don't want to have to buy wireless cards for all my home computers
    >but would like to access the office computer wirelessly from several
    >laptops.
    >
    >Can I simply connect the the wireless router to the office wall jack
    >and my office computer? If so, how do I address the wireless router to
    >talk to the main router/dsl modem?
    >
    >The setup would look like this:
    >
    >External cable> dsl modem> router> cat 5 cable to office> wireless
    >router> office computer.
    >
    >Thanks.

    You should be able to connect a wireless router/access point to
    your existing ethernet. I've connected a netgear wireless router
    to a d-link wireless router, with the d-link assigning an ip
    address to the netgear. I had to manually asign the DNS server IP
    addresses in the netgear, but other wise I could access the net
    wirelessly via either router. Should also work connecting a
    wireless router to a non-wireless router. Not sure how it would
    work with file sharing and such between all the computers on your
    lan. You should be able to assign a static lan IP address to the
    wireless router to fix those types of issues.

    Why do things the hard way, Just add a WAP (wireless access point) to your
    wired network. Using an additional router will cause redundant NAT issues
    that can cause complete loss of connectivity depending on the interaction
    between the two routers. If you really want to simplify things you could
    simply replace the current router with a typical wireless router that
    generally also has four wired Ethernet ports as well (they are also
    available with eight or more wired ports at additional expense).

    "drs" <drs2talk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My home is hardwired with a central DSL modem and router in a closet.
    > My office computer is connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet
    > wall jack. I would like to add a wireless router to my office computer
    > while leaving the regular router and modem connected and working for
    > the entire system.
    >
    > I don't want to have to buy wireless cards for all my home computers
    > but would like to access the office computer wirelessly from several
    > laptops.
    >
    > Can I simply connect the the wireless router to the office wall jack
    > and my office computer? If so, how do I address the wireless router to
    > talk to the main router/dsl modem?
    >
    > The setup would look like this:
    >
    > External cable> dsl modem> router> cat 5 cable to office> wireless
    > router> office computer.
    >
    > Thanks.

Wireless Router Routers Computers Office Wireless Networking