More cheapness by Dell / M$

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 9, 2005 9:28:47 PM

I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
the OS.

I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

More about : cheapness dell

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:28:48 PM

Tom Simchak wrote:

> I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
> cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
> the OS.
>
> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.

From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
appear to be a problem.

Notan
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:28:48 PM

You're new to this group, right? Because this very topic was discussed in
great detail very recently. It's a good practice in newsgroups to search
through earlier posts to see if your issue was previously raised.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
> cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
> the OS.
>
> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
August 9, 2005 9:28:48 PM

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>the OS.
>
> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

Tom,

$10 bucks when bought through the website with the system. They'll send you
the CD probably.

Gotta say that this has been a topic in this ng for, what, 3-4 mos.?

I'm surprised you didn't note it here before you picked up the 600m.

Anyway, you'll get your OS CD.

Stew
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:28:49 PM

Notan wrote:

> Tom Simchak wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
> > cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
> > the OS.
> >
> > I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>
> From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
> appear to be a problem.

.... Having Dell send you a CD, that is.

Notan
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:28:49 PM

Notan wrote:

> Tom Simchak wrote:
>
>>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>the OS.
>>
>>I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>

> From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
> appear to be a problem.

Doesn't seem to be news, either.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:37:05 PM

write your congressman

T.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:25:10 PM

I dunno...

It's a $712 laptop. Cel 350m, low end.

I'm expecting Dell to try to save a dollar everywhere they can.

My feeling is that people expect Dell to wipe their ass for the $712
price.

For that money, you get what you pay for... Indian tech. support, lack
of supplied media, short warranty.

You may have grounds for complaint if you were sold an M90 and got
shafted this way.

But for $712...

T.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:10:01 AM

Notan wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>
>>Tom Simchak wrote:
>>
>>>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>>the OS.
>>>
>>>I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>>
>>From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
>>appear to be a problem.
>

> ... Having Dell send you a CD, that is.
>
> Notan

That's what is going to happen. Apparently. Spent about 15 to 20 mins.
in a chat with someone from the sub-continent. S/he tried to refer me
to tech support. I said that wasn't good enough. Nothing on the site
where I configured the computer said that there was no OS media
included; also, if a reformat is ever required, I would be screwed.
S/he said I would get a CD in about a week.

An OK experience for me, Dell support-wise.

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:33:20 AM

LastYJ wrote:
> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in news:jJ5Ke.1184$bm3.390@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:
>

>>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>the OS.
>>
>>I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>

> Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>

> I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was painless.

And it should be noted that the CD is not a restore CD but a full XP
install CD.

Bob
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:52:15 AM

>Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:

In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...

"It is required that you to have..."?

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
August 10, 2005 12:52:16 AM

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
>
> In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
> you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
>
> "It is required that you to have..."?

Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:52:16 AM

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>

> Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
>
> In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
> you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
>
> "It is required that you to have..."?
>
> -Joel

Unless you can burn one via osmosis, yes.

Stew
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:43:36 AM

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>
> > Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
> >
> > In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
> > you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
> >
> > "It is required that you to have..."?
>

> Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
> front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.

Yes, yes, not only installed your drive must be... plugged into power it
must be as well and yes, then the CD will work but only with the data cable
adequately fitted into appropriate pins. Oh and finally, jumper properly be
it slave, master or selected by cable.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:59:51 AM

Ghostrider wrote:

> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
>>
>> In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
>> you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
>>
>> "It is required that you to have..."?
>

> Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
> front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.

Only if he's on crack
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:12 AM

Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

"LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in
>
>> I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>> cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>> the OS.
>>
>> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>>
>> Tom S.
>> Houston, TX
>

> Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>

> I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was painless.
>

> -lyj

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:13 AM

"Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied.
> Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

Good. Get a Sony. They may or may not include their restore image DVDs,
which may or may not help if your VAIO has only a CDROM or CDRW.

I paid $$30 (with premium ship) to restore a Sony desktop for this very
reason for someone.

Earth to consumers: welcome to the new reality.

Stew
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:13 AM

"Chris G." wrote:

> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

"Not satisfied."

Huh? You're kidding, right?

Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!

Notan
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:14 AM

Notan wrote:

> "Chris G." wrote:
> >
> > Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> > in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> > said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>
> "Not satisfied."
>
> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>
> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!

By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,

Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.

Notan
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:14 AM

> "Chris G." wrote:
>>
>> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD
>> icon
>> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied.
>> Looks
> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>
> "Not satisfied."
>
> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>
> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>
> Notan

Most definitely gets it and is right.

I've gotta tell y'all that I'm about at my wits end of the non-newbies
coming in here crying about their effin' media....

I'm going to go 'technical' on someone's azz if this keeps up.

Stew
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:15 AM

Notan wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>
>>"Chris G." wrote:
>>
>>>Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
>>>in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>>>said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
>>
>>like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>
>>"Not satisfied."
>>
>>Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>
>>Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>

> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>
> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.
>
> Notan
Never fails, the DellBots come out like roaches when one speaks anything
but positive about the great Dell. There is about 5-8 Dellbots that are
so predictable.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:15 AM

Notan wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
>>"Chris G." wrote:
>>
>>>Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
>>>in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>>>said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
>>
>>like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>
>>"Not satisfied."
>>
>>Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>
>>Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>

> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>
> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.

Right - thanks for the pre-emptive strike. :)
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:29:16 AM

administrator wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
>> Notan wrote:

>>> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>>
>>> "Not satisfied."
>>>
>>> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>>
>>> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>>
>> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>>
>> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.
>>
>> Notan
>
> Never fails, the DellBots come out like roaches when one speaks anything
> but positive about the great Dell. There is about 5-8 Dellbots that are
> so predictable.

No more predictable than you, my fine feathered troll.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:05:11 AM

Don't encourage him ;-) I don't think that we need the regulation of CDs
in that nature...

> write your congressman
>
> T.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:24:28 AM

Ahhh, the all knowing Administrator hath spoken;-)

Trust me, there's a lot to be desired. For instance, the Alien Ware laptops,
who cares if they're burning electrons, they're fast as..., yeah they're
really fast. Sadly Dell has embraced the Pentium M :-\

Alas, I have my dells and they run well, but I look to Alienware for inspiration
:-)

-gg-

> Notan wrote:
>
>> Notan wrote:

>>> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>>
>>> "Not satisfied."
>>>
>>> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>>
>>> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>>>
>> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>>
>> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.
>>
>> Notan
>>
> Never fails, the DellBots come out like roaches when one speaks
> anything but positive about the great Dell. There is about 5-8
> Dellbots that are so predictable.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:50:17 AM

Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.

Tom
"Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied.
> Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>

> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in
>>
>>> I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>> cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>> the OS.
>>>
>>> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>>>
>>> Tom S.
>>> Houston, TX
>>

>> Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>

>> I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was painless.
>>

>> -lyj

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:56:44 AM

And actually think for once? Never, that's what my Dell is for ;-)

> Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.
>
> Tom
> "Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
>> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD
>> icon in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last
>> night. They said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days.
>> Not satisfied. Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably
>> be my last Dell.
>>
>> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>>
>>> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in

>>> Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for
>>> help.
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>> ument?dn=1091713
>>>
>>> I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was
>>> painless.
>>>
>>> -lyj

>>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>> 120,000+
>>> Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
>>> Encryption
>>> =----
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:15:40 PM

Not too sure who this was directed to, but since I'm the OP, I'll answer
the question...there was no mention that media was not included or an
option to order it. At least on the site I was on.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Scales wrote:
> Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.
>
> Tom
> "Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
>
>>Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
>>in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>>said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied.
>>Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>

>>"LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message
>>
>>>Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in

>>>Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>>>
>>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>>>

>>>I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was painless.
>>>

>>>-lyj

>>>News==----
>>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>>Newsgroups
>>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>>=----

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:20:04 PM

How long ago did you order? It is fairly new, as of the last 6 weeks or so.

Tom
> Not too sure who this was directed to, but since I'm the OP, I'll answer
> the question...there was no mention that media was not included or an
> option to order it. At least on the site I was on.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD
>>>icon in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night.
>>>They said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not
>>>satisfied. Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my
>>>last Dell.
>>>

>>>"LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:05:01 AM

I ordered on (I think) 7/29.

On other occasions I have seen where the site says that there is no
media included, and yes, I did see the posts about this before, but I
would have thought that media would be included unless specified to the
contrary.

It may be that the Dell policy wonks make changes that filter down to
the site administrators more slowly than they do to the fulfillment
departments.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Scales wrote:
> How long ago did you order? It is fairly new, as of the last 6 weeks or so.
>
> Tom
> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>
>>Not too sure who this was directed to, but since I'm the OP, I'll answer
>>the question...there was no mention that media was not included or an
>>option to order it. At least on the site I was on.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>"Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:39:32 AM

Well, I don't know, but the media option has been on Home/Home office since
early July.
"Tom Simchak" <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I ordered on (I think) 7/29.
>
> On other occasions I have seen where the site says that there is no media
> included, and yes, I did see the posts about this before, but I would have
> thought that media would be included unless specified to the contrary.
>
> It may be that the Dell policy wonks make changes that filter down to the
> site administrators more slowly than they do to the fulfillment
> departments.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> How long ago did you order? It is fairly new, as of the last 6 weeks or
>> so.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Not too sure who this was directed to, but since I'm the OP, I'll answer
>>>the question...there was no mention that media was not included or an
>>>option to order it. At least on the site I was on.
>>>
>>>Tom S.
>>>Houston, TX

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:49:08 AM

Tom Scales wrote:
> Well, I don't know, but the media option has been on Home/Home office since
> early July.
> "Tom Simchak" <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I ordered on (I think) 7/29.
>>
>>On other occasions I have seen where the site says that there is no media
>>included, and yes, I did see the posts about this before, but I would have
>>thought that media would be included unless specified to the contrary.
>>
>>It may be that the Dell policy wonks make changes that filter down to the
>>site administrators more slowly than they do to the fulfillment
>>departments.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>>

>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>How long ago did you order? It is fairly new, as of the last 6 weeks or
>>>so.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message

and on the dell.ca site, it is the second option, right below the
selecting the OS.

Here are what it says along with the options.

Operating System Backup & Recovery Solutions

PC Restore by Symantec is already installed on your computer's hard
drive and it will restore your computer to the original factory image,
including OS and factory installed drivers and applications. If you also
require CDs to perform advanced tasks chose the OS Media for the OS you
selected above. You must select the back-up media that corresponds to
your selected operating system.

None

Backup media for Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition add $10]

Backup media for Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition [add $10]

Backup media for Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition [add $10]
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:51:48 AM

Not shipping the media is an industry-wide trend. Serious price pressure to
sell systems ever more cheaply. Fewer items to duplicate, pack and ship.
Pressure from Microsoft to make it harder for all of us to rebuild systems when
security breaches render them useless or when a hard drive dies.

Most of the policy wonks are in Washington playing at or pretending to be policy
wonks. Both parties... Ben Myers

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:05:01 GMT, Tom Simchak <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote:

>I ordered on (I think) 7/29.
>
>On other occasions I have seen where the site says that there is no
>media included, and yes, I did see the posts about this before, but I
>would have thought that media would be included unless specified to the
>contrary.
>
>It may be that the Dell policy wonks make changes that filter down to
>the site administrators more slowly than they do to the fulfillment
>departments.
>
>Tom S.
>Houston, TX

<SNIP>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:46:26 PM

Well, your link didn't work, so I went to www.dell.com, chose home, chose
the 5100 and the last option to select is whether you want Operating System
Backup & Recovery. Not sure why it didn't show up for you.

Tom
"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> Just for fun I went to Dells site and picked a 5100 from the front page
> ( selected systems) looked at the customize items and actually am
> surprised since it does NOT show any media options even when you
> configure it to have Office on it.
>
> http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?itemtype=CF...
>

> --
> Steve Williams

>> Well, I don't know, but the media option has been on Home/Home office
> since
>> early July.
>> "Tom Simchak" <tgsimchak@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I ordered on (I think) 7/29.
>> >
>> > On other occasions I have seen where the site says that there is no
> media
>> > included, and yes, I did see the posts about this before, but I
> would have
>> > thought that media would be included unless specified to the
> contrary.
>> >
>> > It may be that the Dell policy wonks make changes that filter down
> to the
>> > site administrators more slowly than they do to the fulfillment
>> > departments.
>> >
>> > Tom S.
>> > Houston, TX

> weeks or

> answer
> an

> Recovery CD
> night.
> be my

> just a

> disk.

> for

> ocument?dn=1091713

> painless.

> Usenet
> Encryption

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:03:25 PM

This is pretty fast...I was in the chat with the sales support guy on
Tuesday. I got here this morning and there's a package from Dell
waiting for me. The green reinstallation CD for XP Pro, and 2 blue
CDs--one for drivers and utilities and one for reinstalling tools system
software...those were not included either in the original package.

Now, how much did it cost Dell to ship these to me via Airborne? And how
much would it have cost them to included them in the first place? I'm
guessing it cost more for the CDs to be shipped to me than it would have
to include them in the first place.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Simchak wrote:
> Not too sure who this was directed to, but since I'm the OP, I'll answer
> the question...there was no mention that media was not included or an
> option to order it. At least on the site I was on.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> Why didn't you order the media? It's a $10 option.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
>>
>>> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD
>>> icon in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last
>>> night. They said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days.
>>> Not satisfied. Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably
>>> be my last Dell.
>>>

>>> "LastYJ" <carsx88-6012@yahoo.comm.> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:03:26 PM

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message

<snip>

> Now, how much did it cost Dell to ship these to me via Airborne? And how
> much would it have cost them to included them in the first place? I'm
> guessing it cost more for the CDs to be shipped to me than it would have
> to include them in the first place.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

That's absolutely true. But the sad truth is that many/most? (especially new
users) *won't* notice them missing, or if they do, they probably don't call
and ask/demand the CDs. May not even know that they can do so.

So overall, Dell is saving money going this route and monitoring the
backlash, I'd suspect.

Additionally, now that the option to BUY the media is on the website, anyone
who doesn't have disks will probably (very shortly) be out of luck in
requesting them without having to BUY them and also pay the shipping during
that same phone call. ("Hey, the option was there and you chose not to pay
the $10.")

Just a guess, but that's where all of this seems to be heading.

Given the support and service Dell provided just a few short years ago (when
desktop systems were $2,000+), we all got spoiled by the service/support
standard that was set. Now that desktops *with* LCD monitors can be had for
$600 or less, we still expect the same service and support standard, and
that's unrealistic for the money spent. While I may not like it, to me it's
simple business math.

That said, this has and probably will create some ill will among some
buyers.

A Few? Many? Most? who knows......

Stew
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:39:02 AM

S.Lewis wrote:

> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>>Now, how much did it cost Dell to ship these to me via Airborne? And how
>>much would it have cost them to included them in the first place? I'm
>>guessing it cost more for the CDs to be shipped to me than it would have
>>to include them in the first place.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>
> That's absolutely true. But the sad truth is that many/most? (especially new
> users) *won't* notice them missing, or if they do, they probably don't call
> and ask/demand the CDs. May not even know that they can do so.
>
> So overall, Dell is saving money going this route and monitoring the
> backlash, I'd suspect.
>
> Additionally, now that the option to BUY the media is on the website, anyone
> who doesn't have disks will probably (very shortly) be out of luck in
> requesting them without having to BUY them and also pay the shipping during
> that same phone call. ("Hey, the option was there and you chose not to pay
> the $10.")
>
> Just a guess, but that's where all of this seems to be heading.
>
> Given the support and service Dell provided just a few short years ago (when
> desktop systems were $2,000+),

Heh, my first Dell was a loaded XPSB866r I bought in May, 2000, cost
$3,300 including THX certified speakers and a 19" Trinitron CRT monitor.
!