More cheapness by Dell / M$

I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
the OS.

I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Simchak wrote:

> I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
> cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
> the OS.
>
> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.

From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
appear to be a problem.

Notan

You're new to this group, right? Because this very topic was discussed in
great detail very recently. It's a good practice in newsgroups to search
through earlier posts to see if your issue was previously raised.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
> cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
> the OS.
>
> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>the OS.
>
> I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

Tom,

$10 bucks when bought through the website with the system. They'll send you
the CD probably.

Gotta say that this has been a topic in this ng for, what, 3-4 mos.?

I'm surprised you didn't note it here before you picked up the 600m.

Anyway, you'll get your OS CD.

Stew

Notan wrote:

> Tom Simchak wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
> > cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
> > the OS.
> >
> > I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>
> From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
> appear to be a problem.

.... Having Dell send you a CD, that is.

Notan

Notan wrote:

> Tom Simchak wrote:
>
>>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>the OS.
>>
>>I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>

> From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
> appear to be a problem.

Doesn't seem to be news, either.

I dunno...

It's a $712 laptop. Cel 350m, low end.

I'm expecting Dell to try to save a dollar everywhere they can.

My feeling is that people expect Dell to wipe their ass for the $712
price.

For that money, you get what you pay for... Indian tech. support, lack
of supplied media, short warranty.

You may have grounds for complaint if you were sold an M90 and got
shafted this way.

But for $712...

T.

Notan wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>
>>Tom Simchak wrote:
>>
>>>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>>the OS.
>>>
>>>I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>>
>>From the *numerous* threads, regarding this same topic, it doesn't
>>appear to be a problem.
>

> ... Having Dell send you a CD, that is.
>
> Notan

That's what is going to happen. Apparently. Spent about 15 to 20 mins.
in a chat with someone from the sub-continent. S/he tried to refer me
to tech support. I said that wasn't good enough. Nothing on the site
where I configured the computer said that there was no OS media
included; also, if a reformat is ever required, I would be screwed.
S/he said I would get a CD in about a week.

An OK experience for me, Dell support-wise.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

LastYJ wrote:
> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in news:jJ5Ke.1184$bm3.390@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:
>

>>I just purchased an Inspiron 600M, with XP Pro. No OS disk, just a
>>cardboard representation of a CD/DVD with instructions as how to restore
>>the OS.
>>
>>I'm going to contact Dell to see about getting the OS on a disk.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>

> Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713
>

> I have done it with a system I recently purchased and it was painless.

And it should be noted that the CD is not a restore CD but a full XP
install CD.

Bob

>Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713

Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:

In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...

"It is required that you to have..."?

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
>
> In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
> you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
>
> "It is required that you to have..."?

Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >Just create your own CD. It's not worth the pain to call India for help.
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713
>

> Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
>
> In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
> you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
>
> "It is required that you to have..."?
>
> -Joel

Unless you can burn one via osmosis, yes.

Stew

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>
> > Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
> >
> > In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
> > you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
> >
> > "It is required that you to have..."?
>

> Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
> front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.

Yes, yes, not only installed your drive must be... plugged into power it
must be as well and yes, then the CD will work but only with the data cable
adequately fitted into appropriate pins. Oh and finally, jumper properly be
it slave, master or selected by cable.

Ghostrider wrote:

> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Speaking of the sub-continent, the instructions there advise:
>>
>> In order to complete the following steps, it is required that
>> you to have a CD-R/W or DVD-R/W drive installed...
>>
>> "It is required that you to have..."?
>

> Reads like good, proper English...the type you need in
> front of a bewigged judge in an English court house.

Only if he's on crack

Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

"Chris G." <nonone@nonewhere.123> wrote in message
> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied.
> Looks like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

Good. Get a Sony. They may or may not include their restore image DVDs,
which may or may not help if your VAIO has only a CDROM or CDRW.

I paid $$30 (with premium ship) to restore a Sony desktop for this very
reason for someone.

Earth to consumers: welcome to the new reality.

Stew

"Chris G." wrote:

> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.

"Not satisfied."

Huh? You're kidding, right?

Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!

Notan

Notan wrote:

> "Chris G." wrote:
> >
> > Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
> > in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
> > said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>
> "Not satisfied."
>
> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>
> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!

By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,

Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.

Notan

> "Chris G." wrote:
>>
>> Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD
>> icon
>> in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>> said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied.
>> Looks
> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>
> "Not satisfied."
>
> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>
> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>
> Notan

Most definitely gets it and is right.

I've gotta tell y'all that I'm about at my wits end of the non-newbies
coming in here crying about their effin' media....

I'm going to go 'technical' on someone's azz if this keeps up.

Stew

Notan wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>
>>"Chris G." wrote:
>>
>>>Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
>>>in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>>>said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
>>
>>like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>
>>"Not satisfied."
>>
>>Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>
>>Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>

> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>
> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.
>
> Notan
Never fails, the DellBots come out like roaches when one speaks anything
but positive about the great Dell. There is about 5-8 Dellbots that are
so predictable.

Notan wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
>>"Chris G." wrote:
>>
>>>Just received a new Inspiron 600m. No XP CD. No Dell OS Recovery CD icon
>>>in Dell Accessories. No way to backup OS. Called Dell last night. They
>>>said they will send a CD out in 1 to 2 business days. Not satisfied. Looks
>>
>>like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>
>>"Not satisfied."
>>
>>Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>
>>Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>

> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>
> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.

Right - thanks for the pre-emptive strike. :)

administrator wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
>> Notan wrote:

>>> like I'm not the only one. This will probably be my last Dell.
>>>
>>> "Not satisfied."
>>>
>>> Huh? You're kidding, right?
>>>
>>> Good luck, trying to find a company that will do better!
>>
>> By the way, if Administrator's following this thread,
>>
>> Yeah. Typical Dellbot response.
>>
>> Notan
>
> Never fails, the DellBots come out like roaches when one speaks anything
> but positive about the great Dell. There is about 5-8 Dellbots that are
> so predictable.

No more predictable than you, my fine feathered troll.

Don't encourage him ;-) I don't think that we need the regulation of CDs
in that nature...

> write your congressman
>
> T.

Ahhh, the all knowing Administrator hath spoken;-)

Trust me, there's a lot to be desired. For instance, the Alien Ware laptops,
who cares if they're burning electrons, they're fast as..., yeah they're
really fast. Sadly Dell has embraced the Pentium M :-\

Alas, I have my dells and they run well, but I look to Alienware for inspiration
:)

-gg-