Question about running a router off another router on a ho..

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

I had a question:

I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
and 4 ethernet ports.

can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
the wireless router to increase the number of ports...

The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
all the locations in the house.

I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..

Is there any special kind of router I need?

THanks

More about question running router router
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    jasonnews@mail.com (Jason) wrote in news:d5d88e7c.0406241408.60e7d156
    @posting.google.com:

    > I had a question:
    >

    > I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    > and 4 ethernet ports.
    >
    > can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    > the wireless router to increase the number of ports...

    If it were me I would reverse the order and have the wired router as the
    gateway device for the LAN and WAN. The wired router would be the DHCP
    server for all machines and all machines wired or wireless would get an
    IP from the DHCP server on the wired router.

    > The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
    > through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
    > the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
    > all the locations in the house.

    I would take the wireless router and disable the DHCP server on the
    wireless router. I would take the wireless router and connect it to the
    wired router LAN port on the wireless router to LAN port on the wired
    router -- not using the WAN port on the wireless router at all.

    By doing that, the wireless router now becomes a wireless/wire switch and
    wired and wireless machines connected to it would get an IP from the DHCP
    server on the wired router.

    I would set the device IP of the wireless routers to a static IP of the
    wired router. As an example, if the device IP of the wired router was
    192.168.1.1 and its DHCP IP(s) that it issued started at 192.168.1.100,
    then the device IP for the wireless router would be static IP of
    192.168.2.1.

    By doing the above, any machine connected to the wired router would be
    able to get to the Admin screen of the wireless router at 192.168.2.1. Of
    course, any machine connected to the wireless would be able to get to the
    Admin screen of the wired router at 192.168.1.1.

    Now, I would be able to connect a stand alone hub or switch to either
    router and daisy chain hubs or switches together to extend the network.

    Of course with the setup, all machines wired or wireless and no matter
    what router they were connected too would be able to share resources and
    connect to the Internet.

    If the wireless router has a router or gateway setting, the router should
    be set to the router setting. If it doesn't have the setting, then it's
    ok.

    I would set the number of DHCP IP(s) that can be issued to the number of
    machines to be used. That's not much on the wireless security from a
    wireless machine that's not part of your network. But I guess it's better
    than nothing.

    Oh, I didn't see the printer port. So you can set the wired router as the
    switch.

    Duane :)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    On 24 Jun 2004 15:08:33 -0700, jasonnews@mail.com (Jason) wrote:

    >I had a question:
    >

    >I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    >and 4 ethernet ports.
    >
    >can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    >the wireless router to increase the number of ports...
    >
    >The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
    >through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
    >the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
    >all the locations in the house.
    >
    >I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    >Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    >
    >Is there any special kind of router I need?

    I've connected a netgear wireless to a d-link wireless router,
    with the d-link assigning an ip address to the netgear. I had to
    manually ssign the DNS server IP addresses in the netgear, but
    other wise I could access the net wirelessly via either router.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Jason wrote:

    > I had a question:
    >

    > I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    > and 4 ethernet ports.
    >
    > can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    > the wireless router to increase the number of ports...

    Why another router vs. just a switch or hub?

    Extra protection?

    EBay a simple 16 port switch and you'll have 18 ports (one on each
    gets used connecting them; you work out the details on if you
    have an "uplink" on either).

    But putting the whole wireless thing on a DMZ is a good thing
    since WEP is a simple crack and you're running vulnerable machines
    on your network. (and cross posting ruthlessly).

    Do you HAVE 20 computers? If not, there is no reason to plug in
    20 (mostly unused) ports.

    > The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
    > through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
    > the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
    > all the locations in the house.
    >
    > I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    > Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    >
    > Is there any special kind of router I need?
    Hub. Switch (really). < $80.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    On 24 Jun 2004 15:08:33 -0700, jasonnews@mail.com (Jason) uncorked the
    following:

    |>I had a question:
    |>

    |>I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    |>and 4 ethernet ports.
    |>
    |>can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    |>the wireless router to increase the number of ports...
    |>
    |>The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
    |>through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
    |>the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
    |>all the locations in the house.
    |>
    |>I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    |>Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    |>
    |>Is there any special kind of router I need?
    |>
    |>THanks

    << cross posting not snipped >>>

    Newsgroups:
    alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

    Pick a group ... ANY f'n group.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Simply connect a 24 port switch/hub to one of the wireless router's ethernet
    ports.

    --
    Ross
    "Jason" <jasonnews@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I had a question:
    >

    > I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    > and 4 ethernet ports.
    >
    > can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    > the wireless router to increase the number of ports...
    >
    > The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
    > through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
    > the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
    > all the locations in the house.
    >
    > I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    > Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    >
    > Is there any special kind of router I need?
    >
    > THanks

  6. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    "Ross Durie" <rdurie@caverock.net.nz> wrote in

    > Simply connect a 24 port switch/hub to one of the wireless router's
    > ethernet ports.
    >
    > --

    Well you moron I gave the solution the OP asked for. Any clown *that's
    you* can hook a hub or a switch up to a router and be done with it.

    The solution I gave works perfectly well when I reconfigured my Linksys
    BEFW11S4 so that I could connect it to my WatchGuard and still have a
    wireless solution.

    There is always some clown loose on the Internet. <g>

    Duane :)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    > I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    > and 4 ethernet ports.

    Many homes today have this. I've got one here. Actually I have more than two
    but for the sake of discussion...

    > can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    > the wireless router to increase the number of ports...

    Don't bother with this unless you already have the other unit. Just plug a
    switch in the dlink and cascade other devices off it. Just be sure not to
    cascade more than three levels deep.

    > I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    > Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..

    Get yourself a pair of 16 port switches. Or four 8 port switches. Just try to
    avoid daisy-chaining them as there are some ethernet latency issues that have to
    be avoided.

    If you try chaining another 'router' off the wireless unit you introduce several
    rather complex issues. There are some situations where you'd want the wireless
    set up as what's referred to as a DMZ. This is where the wireless network is
    considered not-secure and is isolated from the internal network. Setting up
    something like this is less-than-trivial (for most folks) and introduces a
    number of complicating factors. Namely the devices running on the wireless
    segment won't be able to see the stuff on the wired-side without some extra
    configuration efforts on both sides. I do this here, my wireless devices all
    speak IPsec and the wired router is specifically configured to recognize and
    pass their traffic to the wired-side. I wouldn't recommend this for most
    homeowners as it requires all the wireless devices to have IPsec loaded and be
    configured properly.

    The real trouble you run into is the home router devices have different levels
    of features. Most don't have the option to be configured for more sophisticated
    setups.

    I run things:

    ISP DSL into a DSL modem
    DSL modem into a NAT router
    switches off the NAT router
    IPSec vpn server on wired network
    wifi home router off a switch port
    various wifi devices with IPsec VPN.

    The wifi home router is configured to pass the IPsec VPN traffic to a specific
    IP address on the internal wired network. The outside NAT router is also
    configured for it (to allow connecting to the home network from work or travel).
    The internal network runs in one of the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. The wifi network
    runs in another. The home NAT router has a special static route setup to handle
    using the IPsec server to speak back TO the wifi devices. Again, most people
    aren't going to take this many steps.

    When you try to chain one home router off another you end up with, essentially,
    double routing of NAT traffic. This can make for doubly-complicated setups for
    devices on the other side. The issue being the wired devices won't be able to
    "see" the wifi devices without extra static route setups. There's also the
    possibility that both devices might balk at trying to do so as many are
    hard-coded to use only non-routable networks.

    In short, your easiest solution might be to just hang a switch or two off the
    wifi router.

    -Bill Kearney
  8. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks (More info?)

    > Well you moron I gave the solution the OP asked for. Any clown *that's
    > you* can hook a hub or a switch up to a router and be done with it.

    The guy also asked if he needed something special, he doesn't. Switches will be
    his least painful choice.

    > The solution I gave works perfectly well when I reconfigured my Linksys
    > BEFW11S4 so that I could connect it to my WatchGuard and still have a
    > wireless solution.
    >
    > There is always some clown loose on the Internet. <g>

    And no shortage of 'self-righteous' ones too.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    "wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
    > network from work or travel). The internal network runs in one of the
    > 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. The wifi network runs in another. The home
    > NAT router has a special static route setup to handle using the IPsec
    > server to speak back TO the wifi devices. Again, most people aren't
    > going to take this many steps.
    >
    > When you try to chain one home router off another you end up with,
    > essentially, double routing of NAT traffic. This can make for
    > doubly-complicated setups for devices on the other side. The issue
    > being the wired devices won't be able to "see" the wifi devices
    > without extra static route setups. There's also the possibility that
    > both devices might balk at trying to do so as many are hard-coded to
    > use only non-routable networks.
    >
    > In short, your easiest solution might be to just hang a switch or two

    You can take a righteous router, switch or hub turn one vertical and
    grease it up and stick it up you know where. <g>

    Duane :)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks (More info?)

    > What a lot of garbage.
    >
    > --

    You can cry about it elsewhere. <plonk>

    As a matter of fact, let me <plonk> the entire thread you moron.

    Duane :)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Don't add a router, add a switch or hub, they are cheaper, designed to do
    exactly what you are trying to do and are simply plugged in,and unless you
    are running an exotic setup, will require no configuration. If the new
    hub/switch doesn't have a WAN port you will need to use a crossover cable,
    but that's the only special requirement.

    "Jason" <jasonnews@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I had a question:
    >

    > I have a cable modem going into a wireless router with a printer port
    > and 4 ethernet ports.
    >
    > can I just hookup another non wireless router to one of the ports on
    > the wireless router to increase the number of ports...
    >
    > The wireless router is a dlink d-713p.. It assigns IP address
    > through DNS I think .. I assume it would just assign an ip address to
    > the new router and then that new router would assign ip addresses to
    > all the locations in the house.
    >
    > I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    > Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    >
    > Is there any special kind of router I need?
    >
    > THanks

  12. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Jason wrote:

    > have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    > Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    >
    > Is there any special kind of router I need?

    I realize my reply is a bit late (I just joined this group). However, all
    you need is one or more switches connected to your router. Many routers
    can support up to 253 computers, but have only four ports. You can plug
    the "uplink" port of a switch into any of those four ports. You can get
    switches with various numbers of ports, but 8 is probably the most common.
    A 16 port switch should also be readily available. You can connect up to 4
    switches directly to the 4 port routers.

    Incidentally, you could also use hubs, instead of switches, but they're now
    considered obsolete.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.home.automation,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    wkearney99 wrote:

    > Don't bother with this unless you already have the other unit.  Just plug
    > a switch in the dlink and cascade other devices off it.  Just be sure not
    > to cascade more than three levels deep.
    >
    >> I have the house wired for internet and need another 20 ports or so..
    >> Sorry about not know all the terminolgy here..
    >
    > Get yourself a pair of 16 port switches.  Or four 8 port switches.  Just
    > try to avoid daisy-chaining them as there are some ethernet latency issues
    > that have to be avoided.

    Those latency issues refer to hubs, not switches. Each port on a switch, is
    a circuit, completely independent of the other ports. In hubs, the added
    delays, caused by passing through multiple devices, could interfere with
    ethernet collision detection.

Wireless Router Routers Wireless Networking