Video Editing

KLWarford

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
When I read reviews on graphic cards they all talk about gaming. I don't play computer games. I have been doing some video editing and I am interested in doing much more. I am having a computer built and have to pick out a graphic card. How important to video editing is the graphics card? Do I need to spend the bucks for the best card I can afford?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
what kind of video editing are we talking about? just arranging scenes and things like that or 3d modeling? simple film splicing, text effects or audio splicing doesnt have much to do with a video card. just get a low-mid range ati card and you will do fine. but dont skimp on ram and hard drive space.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

KLWarford

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I use Premiere 6.5 for mostly simple editing (enhance, slow down, speed up, enlarge, etc) but with some very large files. It has been a hobby but lately I am using it more and more for work. I am a public defender and surveillance tapes are becoming more and more common in my cases. I have only used my video editing hobby in a few cases so far but in one of the cases it helped prove my client was in fact across town buying toilet paper for his wife when the shooting in question took place.

I was hoping the graphics card was not that important to what I am doing so I could use the extra cash for a larger hard drive. Any further advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lloyd Warford

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I think a fast CPU, buckets of RAM and a big hard-drive will count more.

Just out of curriosity, what does a "public defender" do?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

KLWarford

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Public Defenders are attorneys paid by the state who represent people charged with crimes who cannot afford to hire their own attorneys. Thanks for the info.

Lloyd Warford