Video Out

Eibwen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I would like to know what vid card has the best video out (svid just to make sure) also if different what do you think has the best video out quality compared to its price. this is for a small computer where my tv is going to be used as the monitor most of the time.

thanks

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I`ve heard that ATI generally has better image-quality then NVidia, Maxtor beeing a image-quality god in the consumer class.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
ATI cards have better tv-out quality, people say. But using a tv as a monitor is an awful idea, did try that and most text was unreadable. It pass for most games, but using it for anything else is bad. Unless you got a tv which got similar or better "dot pitch" than a monitor, I used a regular tube 36" tv and a projector 52" and both were awful when used 2D applications.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem is, a TV signal resolution is realistically around 352x240. Analog. In order to make the text as readable on a TV as it would be on an old 640x480 monitor, you would have to therefore set the fonts at double the size. By the time your done, your task bar and menu bar take up about 1/3 of the screen hight in Internet Explorer, and some menus won't even fit on the screen. But it can be done.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
ATI has the best video out. I have yet to see an ATI card that wasn't superb versus other cards in terms of TV out.

But nobody's TV out is good enough to use as your primary monitor unless its for a specialized app that has little or no text.

John A

Eibwen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
thanks all of you who replied, so ATI is the way to go...
about using the tv as a monitor i would only do the most basic stuff while doing that, i wanted to acutally do something (set up something to use the free cpu cycles) i would use WinVNC or something like it (pc anywhere) from this comp. I do have a free monitor that i could put in there but its 17inch and very heavy/big so woudl be a pain in the ass to use it much. thanks again all of you tho