Inspiron 6000 as desktop replacement?

Hi all,

I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
know your views regarding this model, especially its heat management
when used for 5+ hours straight.

Is there any other similar-priced laptop I should also consider?

Cheers,

PL
27 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 6000 desktop replacement

    "PL" <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
    > around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
    > week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
    > know your views regarding this model, especially its heat management
    > when used for 5+ hours straight.
    >
    > Is there any other similar-priced laptop I should also consider?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > PL

    With a 15.4" display, that will be a fairly heavy system and certainly what
    they'd call a desktop replacement.

    I6K review/specs:

    Anyone know if the Latitude D810 is the sister-system to the I6K? More
    expensive, less video memory probably, but better default warranty I'd
    guess:

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "PL" <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
    >>around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
    >>week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
    >>know your views regarding this model, especially its heat management
    >>when used for 5+ hours straight.
    >>
    >>Is there any other similar-priced laptop I should also consider?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>PL
    >

    > With a 15.4" display, that will be a fairly heavy system and certainly what
    > they'd call a desktop replacement.
    >
    > I6K review/specs:

    > Anyone know if the Latitude D810 is the sister-system to the I6K? More
    > expensive, less video memory probably, but better default warranty I'd
    > guess:

    > Stew

    I do strongly recommend the Latitude notebooks. They are the business
    class laptop and are designed for heavy use. I've had one for years at
    my job (C600) that performed great. I just got a new D610 and thus far
    love the machine.

    I run these machines for 8 hrs plus each day.

    Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    > I do strongly recommend the Latitude notebooks. They are the business
    > class laptop and are designed for heavy use. I've had one for years at
    > my job (C600) that performed great. I just got a new D610 and thus far
    > love the machine.
    >
    > I run these machines for 8 hrs plus each day.

    The Latitudes do seem more strongly built, however, they come with "3Y
    NBD (Next Business Day On-site ) Service" warranty by default and there
    is no way of changing it to the base 1Y warranty which would cut down
    the cost by at least $200. I'm on a limited budget.

    I agree, the Latitudes are built better. The Inspirons have gotten really
    cheap in build over the past few years. (ex. the cheezy colored palm rests)
    "Parasites Lost" <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    >> I do strongly recommend the Latitude notebooks. They are the business
    >> class laptop and are designed for heavy use. I've had one for years at
    >> my job (C600) that performed great. I just got a new D610 and thus far
    >> love the machine.
    >>
    >> I run these machines for 8 hrs plus each day.
    >
    > The Latitudes do seem more strongly built, however, they come with "3Y NBD
    > (Next Business Day On-site ) Service" warranty by default and there is no
    > way of changing it to the base 1Y warranty which would cut down the cost
    > by at least $200. I'm on a limited budget.

    You equate the quality of the build to the color of the palm rests?

    "Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote in message
    >I agree, the Latitudes are built better. The Inspirons have gotten really
    >cheap in build over the past few years. (ex. the cheezy colored palm rests)
    > "Parasites Lost" <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >> Patrick L. Parks wrote:
    >>> I do strongly recommend the Latitude notebooks. They are the business
    >>> class laptop and are designed for heavy use. I've had one for years at
    >>> my job (C600) that performed great. I just got a new D610 and thus far
    >>> love the machine.
    >>>
    >>> I run these machines for 8 hrs plus each day.
    >>
    >> The Latitudes do seem more strongly built, however, they come with "3Y
    >> NBD (Next Business Day On-site ) Service" warranty by default and there
    >> is no way of changing it to the base 1Y warranty which would cut down the
    >> cost by at least $200. I'm on a limited budget.

    No, I simply said the colored palm rests are cheesy. I've owned two
    Inspirons (8100, 8600) and they were made cheaply.

    In article <1123615775.2e04b643a6e2897549e6af60da909005@teranews>,
    PL <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
    >around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
    >week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
    >know your views regarding this model,

    This site is a little Linux specific but it contains excellent
    detail on the Inspiron 6000 series machines:

    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp6000/

    It was this site that convinced me to buy my I6000.

    >especially its heat management when used for 5+ hours straight.

    I wouldn't be too worried about heat management. Most of the time, these
    machines run at low CPU utilization and don't have to dissipate much heat.
    Also, the times I've run the machine at 100% utilization for hours on end
    (performance testing some software I've written), there don't seem to have
    been any problems.

    A few more random thoughs:

    - The keyboard is quite nice, but the trackpad buttons are a little
    noisy. The media buttons on the front of the machine are absolutely
    wonderful.

    - Get the WUXGA display.

    - The case isn't a solid as a Latitude (or Thinkpad/Compaq nc6xxx/other
    professional laptop), but it's not bad.

    - If you're really going to be sitting at the machine for hours on
    end you should consider a seperate display. Staring down at a laptop
    for long periods of time can be hard on your posture.

    - It's not a 'thin and light' laptop. You'll have compromises to make
    in both dimensions. In particular, be sure that if you have a bag
    you want to use that the laptop fits.

    -Mike
    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    "Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote:

    >The Inspirons have gotten really
    >cheap in build over the past few years.

    is this true of the 700m as well?

    If yes....is there a Latitude equivalent of the 700m?

    John

    mschaef@eris.io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:

    >- If you're really going to be sitting at the machine for hours on
    > end you should consider a seperate display. Staring down at a laptop
    > for long periods of time can be hard on your posture.

    What abt using a wireless keyboard and mouse with this
    laptop to allow one to set back and move around more?

    John

    In article <cvkkf15v0c4r2p5i4gsgspq7b903bq7qag@4ax.com>,
    <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >mschaef@eris.io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:
    >
    >>- If you're really going to be sitting at the machine for hours on
    >> end you should consider a seperate display. Staring down at a laptop
    >> for long periods of time can be hard on your posture.
    >
    >What abt using a wireless keyboard and mouse with this
    >laptop to allow one to set back and move around more?

    That might work. I think Dell even offers a stand you can use to raise
    the display to eye level.

    -Mike

    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    In article <8tkkf1h908181utoe4ttjk6t9bsohk89lp@4ax.com>,
    <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >"Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote:
    >
    >>The Inspirons have gotten really
    >>cheap in build over the past few years.
    >
    >is this true of the 700m as well?

    The 700m I've seen looks pretty good, but I'm also not too troubled by the
    I6000. Iinspirons aren't "business class" machines, but they aren't bad,
    either. I expect 2-3 years of life out of mine, the weak points being:

    - The hinge
    - There's only plastic on the back side of the display
    - The plastic under the CD-ROM is relatively thin.

    >If yes....is there a Latitude equivalent of the 700m?

    No.

    -Mike
    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    > In article <8tkkf1h908181utoe4ttjk6t9bsohk89lp@4ax.com>,
    > <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>"Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Inspirons have gotten really
    >>>cheap in build over the past few years.
    >>
    >>is this true of the 700m as well?
    >
    > The 700m I've seen looks pretty good, but I'm also not too troubled by the
    > I6000. Iinspirons aren't "business class" machines, but they aren't bad,
    > either. I expect 2-3 years of life out of mine, the weak points being:
    >
    > - The hinge
    > - There's only plastic on the back side of the display
    > - The plastic under the CD-ROM is relatively thin.
    >
    >>If yes....is there a Latitude equivalent of the 700m?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > -Mike
    > --
    > http://www.mschaef.com

    The 700m is considered an "ultra thin or ultra light" isn't it? Wouldn't
    the Latitude D410 or X1 be similar in dimension/specs?

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/latit?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    Stew

    > In article <cvkkf15v0c4r2p5i4gsgspq7b903bq7qag@4ax.com>,
    > <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>mschaef@eris.io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:
    >>
    >>>- If you're really going to be sitting at the machine for hours on
    >>> end you should consider a seperate display. Staring down at a laptop
    >>> for long periods of time can be hard on your posture.
    >>
    >>What abt using a wireless keyboard and mouse with this
    >>laptop to allow one to set back and move around more?
    >

    > That might work. I think Dell even offers a stand you can use to raise
    > the display to eye level.
    >
    > -Mike

    Yes they do. I use this one in work along with a (D-series) port
    replicator.....

    http://tinyurl.com/dlgp7

    Stew

    Actually, you quoted yourself and you DID say the colored palm rests were
    the REASON they were cheap (see your ex. below).

    I didn't think you meant it, but that is what you said.

    My only experience is my Inspiron 9300 which is a rock.

    Tom
    > No, I simply said the colored palm rests are cheesy. I've owned two
    > Inspirons (8100, 8600) and they were made cheaply.
    >> You equate the quality of the build to the color of the palm rests?
    >>
    >> "Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>>I agree, the Latitudes are built better. The Inspirons have gotten really
    >>>cheap in build over the past few years. (ex. the cheezy colored palm
    >>>rests)
    >>> "Parasites Lost" <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

    Well DAMN, excuse me for posting my opinion of the Inspiron.

    Matt Wiggins wrote:
    > Well DAMN, excuse me for posting my opinion of the Inspiron.
    >
    >>Actually, you quoted yourself and you DID say the colored palm rests were
    >>the REASON they were cheap (see your ex. below).
    >>
    >>I didn't think you meant it, but that is what you said.
    >>
    >>My only experience is my Inspiron 9300 which is a rock.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>"Matt Wiggins" <mwigginsnoxx@charter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>No, I simply said the colored palm rests are cheesy. I've owned two
    >>>Inspirons (8100, 8600) and they were made cheaply.
    >>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    You cannot make a non positive statement about Dell on this group
    without being attacked by DellBots. There are some VERY narrow minded
    folks here.

    Guess I should have put in a :)

    Was just playing around with your grammar.

    Tom

    In article <5AvKe.662$rp.124@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
    S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >The 700m is considered an "ultra thin or ultra light" isn't it? Wouldn't
    >the Latitude D410 or X1 be similar in dimension/specs?

    I don't know about the X1, but I have a D400 from my work. It does not
    have a widescreen display or a built in optical disk. I'd call it better
    built but less functional than the 700m.

    -Mike
    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    "administrator" <quemandd@msn.com> wrote in message

    > You cannot make a non positive statement about Dell on this group without
    > being attacked by DellBots. There are some VERY narrow minded folks here.

    Your only comments are attacking others on this group. You bring no value.
    Why don't you actually answer a question!

    My son just got this computer and loves it. He uses it as his desktop replacement now. The heat is not that bad at all. I have the 5150 and the heat it produces is awful and the weight of the 6000 is considerably less than mine

    --
    Cyndi

    PL wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
    > around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
    > week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
    > know your views regarding this model, especially its heat management
    > when used for 5+ hours straight.
    >
    > Is there any other similar-priced laptop I should also consider?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > PL
    For what you describe, I'd say the I6000 (or the D810 -- the Lat
    equivalent) seems like a reasonable choice. If you plan to do more
    moving than, "once a week," it may be a bit bulky (and a better choice
    might be the I600m/D610 or IBM/Lenovo T43). The business line of HP has
    some reasonable contenders in that size/price range (but I'd avoid their
    consumer lines). Also, I'd go with a minimum 3 year warrany (at least
    mail in) on any laptop.

    > In article <5AvKe.662$rp.124@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
    > S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >>The 700m is considered an "ultra thin or ultra light" isn't it? Wouldn't
    >>the Latitude D410 or X1 be similar in dimension/specs?
    >
    > I don't know about the X1, but I have a D400 from my work. It does not
    > have a widescreen display or a built in optical disk. I'd call it better
    > built but less functional than the 700m.
    >
    > -Mike
    > --
    > http://www.mschaef.com

    Both the D410 and 700m have a 12.1" LCD, according to CNET reviews. Weight
    is also about the same. I'm thinking they may be similar across platforms.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Latitude_D410/4507-3121_7-31268758.html?tag=tab

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_700m/4507-3121_7-30975241.html?tag=tab

    Stew

    In article <WvGKe.1477$Rm3.1308@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <5AvKe.662$rp.124@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
    >> S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >>>The 700m is considered an "ultra thin or ultra light" isn't it? Wouldn't
    >>>the Latitude D410 or X1 be similar in dimension/specs?
    >>
    >> I don't know about the X1, but I have a D400 from my work. It does not
    >> have a widescreen display or a built in optical disk. I'd call it better
    >> built but less functional than the 700m.
    >Both the D410 and 700m have a 12.1" LCD, according to CNET reviews. Weight
    >is also about the same. I'm thinking they may be similar across platforms.
    >
    >http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Latitude_D410/4507-3121_7-31268758.html?tag=tab
    >
    >http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_700m/4507-3121_7-30975241.html?tag=tab

    I'm not making this up. I have one of the machines, and have seen
    and used both. Trust me, they are quite different: much more so than
    the I6000 and D810.

    D410: 12.1" XGA active matrix (TFT) displays
    700m: 12.1" Wide Screen Crystal Clear XGA display

    D410: Media Base and External Optical Drives: D-Bay w/ 24X CD-RW/DVD
    700m: 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/latit?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/inspn?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    The X1, I'm not so sure about...

    -Mike

    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    PL <parasiteslost@bigfoot.com> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
    > around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once
    > a week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like
    > to know your views regarding this model, especially its heat
    > management when used for 5+ hours straight.
    >
    > Is there any other similar-priced laptop I should also consider?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > PL

    I bought a 6000d and have been using it for about 2 weeks. I got a great
    deal on it with the 2 year warranty and completecare. I'm pretty happy
    with it overall. It has the WUXGA screen which is nice w/ 128MB ATI
    video. The main reason I bought it was to get something portable when I
    move soon, and a desktop PC would not work. I'll probably buy one after
    I'm moved in though.

    There are some warm spots on the bottom, esp where the HDD is. Its never
    been on for more than 3 hours though. The build quality is good but I
    have not owned any other Dell laptops so a comparison is not possible.

    Dave Stone <n> wrote:

    >I bought a 6000d and have been using it for about 2 weeks.

    I've never owned a laptop but thinking of getting one

    I'm in a quandary as to what display size to get. I
    know that 15.4 " is my upper limit..... and 10" is my
    lower limit.

    I'm not a business man wont be on the road all the
    time. But I will be a college student soon. But bottom
    line the machine will see more desk time than anything
    else.

    I've seen the 15.4" units and they still seem a bit
    bulky for me

    Anyone have advice or opinions on getting a 12 or 10"
    unit and living with that?

    I could always hook it up to a bigger monitor at the
    desk right? I happen to have an old 19" CRT display
    setting around unused.

    Opinions?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@fnord.io.com> wrote in message
    > In article <WvGKe.1477$Rm3.1308@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
    > S.Lewis <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I don't know about the X1, but I have a D400 from my work. It does not
    >>> have a widescreen display or a built in optical disk. I'd call it better
    >>> built but less functional than the 700m.
    >>Both the D410 and 700m have a 12.1" LCD, according to CNET reviews.
    >>Weight
    >>is also about the same. I'm thinking they may be similar across
    >>platforms.
    >>
    >>http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Latitude_D410/4507-3121_7-31268758.html?tag=tab
    >>
    >>http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_700m/4507-3121_7-30975241.html?tag=tab
    >
    > I'm not making this up. I have one of the machines, and have seen
    > and used both. Trust me, they are quite different: much more so than
    > the I6000 and D810.
    >
    > D410: 12.1" XGA active matrix (TFT) displays
    > 700m: 12.1" Wide Screen Crystal Clear XGA display
    >
    > D410: Media Base and External Optical Drives: D-Bay w/ 24X CD-RW/DVD
    > 700m: 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    >
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/latit?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/inspn?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    >
    > The X1, I'm not so sure about...
    >
    > -Mike
    >
    > --
    > http://www.mschaef.com

    Mike,

    Wasn't doubting you, just speculating about comparisons and usually the fact
    that Dell offers similar HW (with different plastics and features) across
    both model lines. Didn't mean to even approach that you were 'making stuff
    up'.

    In fact, I've used nor even SEEN either model, so I was merely speculating
    with links added.

    I would expect the Latitudes to have fewer multi-media enhancements (less
    video capes on both the adapter and LCD, and optical drive options) since
    they're corporate.

    I believe that the X1 is the smallest of all and probably doesn't even
    figure into the mix.

    I have a D600 at work, and have seen mostly C6XX/D6XX and lower end
    Inspirons on a hands-on basis. I'm just learning along with a lot of others
    in the thread.

    Thanks -

    Stew
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Dave Stone <n> wrote:

    > The main reason I bought it was to get something portable when I
    >move soon, and a desktop PC would not work.

    Where are you moving that a desktop wont work?

    John

Dell Laptops Desktops Inspiron Computers