9700 pro keeps crashing

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2002 5:28:07 PM

After I installed my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Max Payne keeps crashing unless I turn all the settings down and run it at 640x380 resolution. I downloaded the latest 7.7 drivers, and still no improvement. I disable sound, and it still crashes. Does anyone know what might be going on? When I contacted ATI, they just gave me the link to their FAQ, when I contacted talonsoft, they told me to download the latest drivers and that it should work.

My system:
Sony VAIO p4 2.02
512K DDR PC100 RAM
integrated sound

More about : 9700 pro crashing

October 22, 2002 7:02:07 PM

check your PS
and do a search for this problem....

you need a major PS for 9700 P4 combo.

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>
October 22, 2002 9:33:06 PM

ATI told me my 300 watt PS would be fine, since I dont have any other perihperials in the computer.
Related resources
October 23, 2002 12:26:24 AM

It could be a driver conflict with your old video card.
If you previously had a Nvidia card in your system I would reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows and other software.
I know its a crappy thing to suggest but sometimes its just the easiest thing to do.

If you had an ATI card in your system before installing the 9700 I would suggest going into the control panel to Add/Remove programs and remove all software associated with ATI. Restart the computer but do not let the computer automatically reinstall the video drivers. Instead use disk clean up to wipe clean out any unused data.
If you have Norton System Works use Norton Win Doctor to find and fix errors and Norton Clean Sweep to clean up unnecessary data.
Then restart your computer. Do not let it search or install drivers. Decline all prompts. After the computer has fully booted install the software on the ATI setup CD-ROM using defaults and you should be ok.
You can try the same steps if you had a Nvidia card but it probably won't work.
Like a said before sometimes its just easier to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows and your software.
What I do in a case like that is keep a current backup copy of any info on a CD-R I don't want to loose if it is necessary for me to have to reformat and reinstall.

9 times out of 10 new video cards do not work because of conflicting registry entries that need to be cleaned out.
By using add/remove programs to remove the old video card software on reboot without installing the video card drivers Windows will use a built in default driver to give you minimal display. This also allows the computer to update the registry and delete unnecessary entries. It doesn't work all the time but sometimes its just enough to get you by without having to reinstall Windows.
This works well with WinXP but you might as well shoot yourself in the foot if you have WinME.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2002 6:30:41 AM

300W SHOULD be fine, BUT it's really a matter of quality. Did you read Tom's power supply review? There is a lot of garbage on the market.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 23, 2002 12:47:31 PM

Aye, I agree with zpyrd, driver conflicts are most likely as if it was a PSU problem you would see it everywhere not just in games (eg benchmarking, normal app packages etc...)

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)
October 23, 2002 5:44:51 PM

I didnt have any other video cards installed on the computer, save for my onboard graphics chip (SIS650). But if I disable the SIS650 in device manager, it actually shuts off the ATI Radeon 9700. So I dont know how else to clear it.. Also, I have installed updated drivers for the 9700 twice, since I didn't uninstall the old drivers, and simply ran the install, will this create problems? I'm afraid if I start deleting everything SIS650 related, my ATI card won't work.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nino_the_cat on 10/23/02 01:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 23, 2002 6:23:32 PM

Did you disable the onboard video in the bios?

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
October 23, 2002 6:48:16 PM

No, there was no option in the BIOS to disable it. I think when I jammed the Radeon 9700 into the AGP slot, the onboard chip disabled itself, because when I boot up a game, it only detects the Radeon.

When I crash Max Payne, Windows XP logs an error, and tells me it is due to the ATI driver and difficulty drawing an object, or something like that. I have the most updated drivers though, aside from the 6193 which is not microsoft certified.
October 23, 2002 6:57:03 PM

But you said you seen the onboard still in the device manager? Unless i read that wrong.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
October 23, 2002 7:16:15 PM

Its not a power supply problem. When I bought 9700 it was crashing in Max Payne too. You need to patch your Max Payne and update drivers for Radeon 9700. Problem will disapear. Good luck.
October 23, 2002 8:06:27 PM

Yes it shows up on my device manager, but if click disable, it disables the ATI card. Whenever I run a game, it only detects the Radeon.
October 23, 2002 8:08:00 PM

I patched max payne to 1.05 and run the 6178 drivers. I dont want to run the 6193 drivers since they are not microsoft certified. Do you think the it is a problem that I am non manually uninstalling/deleting the old 6166 drivers first?
October 23, 2002 9:00:03 PM

Well I'm pretty sure its a good rule of thumb, that when a additional deviece in this case a onboard video adapter is also running with the a expansion card that theirs litterally a conflict of interest there. Pretty sure once you find the onboard video option in the BIOS and disable it there shouldn't be a problem any longer. But thats just my opinion on the situation, there are lots of other variables that could be causeing this crashing. Does the card crash with any other games?

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spud on 10/23/02 06:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 23, 2002 10:11:41 PM

Well I havent played any other game as thoroughly. Max Payne only crashed on later levels. When I run through the demos of MOHAA, Quake 3, Serious Sam 2, and Comanche 4, it works fine. Old games like Diablo 2 work fine as well. I dont know what I can do about disabling the onboard video option in the BIOS, because there is no option to do that. My CMOS is really limited, I cant adjust aperture size, etc.. or anything at all. The only thing I can do is switch the priorities from PCI/AGP to AGP/PCI, which doesnt appear to make a difference. It's just so frustrating to find myself going out and buying a new computer and adding expensive equipment like this graphics card, and everything becomes a hassle. Update this, uninstall that, BIOS this, device manager that, and on and on and on. I could have bought an Xbox and Max Payne and saved myself a whole lot of trouble, (and money). What if I just format the hard drive, through out the 9700, and install the 4600ti instead?
!