Druid help - ideas

I started a new druid character and went the windy route, but am having
lots of trouble getting past act3 in hell. My merc and I breezed
through normal and nightmare fairly easily, and even even acts 1 and 2
of hell (except for a little problem with andy & duriel).
ME - level 79, Life 542
Cyclone armor - 22 (absorb 1170 dmg)
Tornado - 22 (1524 dmg)
Hurricane - 22
Twister - 5
Dire Wolf - 23
Weapon dmg 248/652

merc = lvl 79, life 1395
Kings Grace sword 305/400 dmg

I'm about to level and not sure where I should put the 5 points or the 1
skill. Should I look for a faster attack speed weapon? Switch merc to
a ranged attack?
3 answers Last reply
More about druid ideas

    John wrote:
    > I started a new druid character and went the windy route, but am having
    > lots of trouble getting past act3 in hell. My merc and I breezed

    What causes you the trouble? The CI flayers? One if not more of your
    Wind spells does physical damage. If that doesn't help, then I suppose
    you can just get the Waypoints from someone else.

    > I'm about to level and not sure where I should put the 5 points or the 1
    > skill.

    Generally, have enough Strength for equipments, enough Dexterity if
    blocking is desired, and the rest for Vitality. If you haven't
    determined your end game equipments, then it may be a good idea to save
    those attribute points. As the skill, invest in the skills that
    synergize your Hurricane.

    > Should I look for a faster attack speed weapon? Switch merc to
    > a ranged attack?

    Having never played a Druid myself, I don't know what's a good strategy
    for one. However I reckon that there is a 2H maul that gives +7
    Elemental skill, Earth Shifter?

    Rogue merc doesn't do much damage, I had one equipped with a Windforce
    and her average damage was somewhere in the 1900s. The range AI makes
    her very ineffective as she spends most of her time moving about.
    Desert merc is always the most popular choice, I'd expect Prayer or
    Defiance will be suitable for you, Might may not be as useful as your
    Dogs are not dependable monster killers.

    "John" <dyczko@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I started a new druid character and went the windy route, but am having
    > lots of trouble getting past act3 in hell. My merc and I breezed
    > through normal and nightmare fairly easily, and even even acts 1 and 2
    > of hell (except for a little problem with andy & duriel).
    > ME - level 79, Life 542
    > Cyclone armor - 22 (absorb 1170 dmg)
    > Tornado - 22 (1524 dmg)
    > Hurricane - 22
    > Twister - 5
    > Dire Wolf - 23
    > Weapon dmg 248/652
    >
    > merc = lvl 79, life 1395
    > Kings Grace sword 305/400 dmg
    >
    > I'm about to level and not sure where I should put the 5 points or the 1
    > skill. Should I look for a faster attack speed weapon? Switch merc to
    > a ranged attack?

    like Alex Holts said, enough str for equip and enough dex for nice block

    the skill point goes to either synergy for Hurricane or Tornade.
    Tornado does physical dmg to help kill the CI

    my wind druid setup (not to cheap tho) was...i played this in HC :
    Jalals Mane (with Um)
    +2 Arkaines Valor (with pruby)
    38% res all Heart of the Oak (great caster weapon, +3 and fcr)
    Stormshield (with Um)
    thundergods belt
    BK ring
    Soj
    Frostburn
    Aldurs Boots
    +2 druid skills, 9% fcr, +16 mana, regenerate mana 6%, 15% cold/fire/poison
    res, 50% light res (crafted ammy, lvl 89 req)

    7x Elemental Skill Charm
    Annihilus
    and 6x 20 life small

    for skills (without the +skills from items)
    20 Hurricane
    20 Tornado
    20 Twister
    16 Cyclone Armor
    20 Oak Sage
    1 Summon Grizzly (with the +skills from items this makes a great tank)

    after Oak i had around 3k life
    Tornado did 4000+ dmg
    and Hurricane 2500+ dmg

    i could solo baal hell or diablo hell with this build (just had to play it
    smart)
    cant check how much it really was, because i removed most of the items for
    use on other char

    Clincher

    I think you are really low on +skills. A caster should have a lot more
    than +2. A Spirit sword and a decent mid-level ammy, hat combination
    should get you at least +4.

    Don't worry about attack speed because you are a caster.

    Your life is quite low for Hell. Especially without an Oak Sage.

Games Video Games