Labusch Glide Wrapper also crashes D2 when exiting...

Hello,

After my problems with the Zeckensack Glide Wrapper, I switched to the
Labusch one.

This one has no in-game problems, where the Zeckensack wrapper seemed to
cause some in-game crashes.

However, what this wrapper does do, is cause Diablo II to hang when I
'cleanly' exit the game via the Exit button on the main screen.

This happens on both my machines, but the effects are different. This is
probably also caused by the fact I'm running different versions of the
wrapper on both machines. There is a reason for that: ;)

Machine #1 is a P4-2400 with 1 GB of RAM and a 6600GT card. For some
unknown reason, only version 1.3c of the Labusch wrapper runs on this
machine. When I install the 1.4 beta, I get a crash when I run the
VideoConfig tool from D2, and only get to choose between DirectDraw of
Direct3D. When I exit D2 on this machine, I am returned to a normal
looking (i.e. correct brightness) desktop, however, when I look in the
Task Manager, Diablo II is hanging and consuming 100% CPU time. When I do
an 'End Process' all seems to be OK.

Machine #2 is a P4-1700 with 512MB of RAM and a GeForce4 Ti4200 card. On
this one, version 1.3c is the one which does not want to run, and which
also does not allow me to set the Glide screen's refresh rate to anything
else but 60Hz. So, I'm running the 1.4 beta on this one. In-game, no
difference, exiting is also identical to Machine #1, _except_ for the fact
I am returned to an ultra-bright 800x600 desktop. There still is a Diablo
II exe active, consuming 100% CPU. When I 'End Process' that one, the
desktop resolution returns to 1280x1024, but the ultra-bright look
remains. I usually reboot this machine after I exit Diablo II.

I have no idea what causes this, and since I cannot run 1.4 beta on
Machine #1 or 1.3c on Machine #2, there's not much tuning I can do.
Probably 1.4 beta introduced something which does not work with a 6600GT
card, but as to why 1.3c doesn't work with a Ti4200: no idea.

Does anyone here recognize the above symptoms, and do you have any idea
what causes it?

I'd like to contact Sven Labusch, but on the web-site he put up for the
Glide Wrapper, I can't see anything even remotely looking like an e-mail
address... Does anyone have it for, or can anyone who knows it (or him),
forward my above observations to him?

My thanks in advance,

Patrick.

On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...

> However, what this wrapper does do, is cause Diablo II to hang when I
> 'cleanly' exit the game via the Exit button on the main screen.

I tried the 1.3.c.7 one on my GeForce 6600 (SilentPipe version), and
didn't experience any problems. The GeForce driver is version 77.72, if
I do interpret my "download section" correctly. Maybe the NVidia
drivers do have an effect on the performance, too.

The performance is smooth like in "dream", and it didn't bail out after
closing D2. I'll yet have to check the Shenk animation for
irregularities.

BTW: I only put the glide3x.dll into the D2 directory, and did NOT run
the wrapper config utility. Instead, I immediately used the Video Test
which accepted the wrapper gladly. Did you try a configuration reset?
If there is a default setting, that is.

The defaults are:

Bildschirmanzeige: Reihenfolge
keine Infos anzeigen
Framerate (active - weird, I didn't notice anything)
keine Uhr
Texturmasse (inactive)

Extras all empty
kein Multisampling/FSAA (hmm, is it *that* one?)

Initialisierung:
16 MB Textur-Speicher
GL_EXT_paletted_texture (active)
GL_EXT_shared_palette_texture (active)
GL_EXT_packed_pixels (active)
DirectX für Videos (inactive)
Textur für Videos (active)
Feste Gamma-Tablelle (inactive - he that might be the culprit)
auto Hz maximale Bildwiederholfrequenz

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

In article <dc8bpg$p8p$05$2@news.t-online.com>,
Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
>(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...
>
>> However, what this wrapper does do, is cause Diablo II to hang when I
>> 'cleanly' exit the game via the Exit button on the main screen.
>
>I tried the 1.3.c.7 one on my GeForce 6600 (SilentPipe version), and
>didn't experience any problems. The GeForce driver is version 77.72, if
>I do interpret my "download section" correctly. Maybe the NVidia
>drivers do have an effect on the performance, too.

I've also used the 77.72 drivers, but am currently using 77.76 on the
P4-2400, and 71.89 on the Ti4200. I've switched version before I posted
here, but didn't document it keep the story-size down, and because it made
no difference.

>The performance is smooth like in "dream", and it didn't bail out after
>closing D2. I'll yet have to check the Shenk animation for
>irregularities.

Performance is indeed much, much smoother than with Direct3D. Diablo 2
also _looked_ like it closed down cleanly on the P4-2400, but it did leave
around a 50MB/99% CPU/Diablo II.exe, which could only be stopped by 'End
Process'-ing it. Before I first noticed that, I had 4 or 5 of those
processes hanging around... So it's not always very visible...

>BTW: I only put the glide3x.dll into the D2 directory, and did NOT run
>the wrapper config utility. Instead, I immediately used the Video Test
>which accepted the wrapper gladly. Did you try a configuration reset?
>If there is a default setting, that is.

I've tried it without the config, I've tried resetting the config, so I'm
more or less stumped. Which is why I was hoping I could reach the author.

Keep in mind that without setting any configs, the refresh-rate at which
the wrapper runs is more or less undefined, and it probably chooses
something like 60Hz. Which causes me watery eyes on the 22" display I'm
playing Diablo II on.

>The defaults are:
>
>Bildschirmanzeige: Reihenfolge
>keine Infos anzeigen
>Framerate (active - weird, I didn't notice anything)

It only starts displaying the Framerate once you have the 'Infos anzeigen'
enabled.

>keine Uhr
>Texturmasse (inactive)
>
>Extras all empty
>kein Multisampling/FSAA (hmm, is it *that* one?)

I tried enabling it, but didn't make any difference.

>Initialisierung:
>16 MB Textur-Speicher
>GL_EXT_paletted_texture (active)
>GL_EXT_shared_palette_texture (active)
>GL_EXT_packed_pixels (active)
>DirectX für Videos (inactive)
>Textur für Videos (active)
>Feste Gamma-Tablelle (inactive - he that might be the culprit)

Nope, this just prevents the Glide wrapper to ramp up the Gamma range.
Tried it, Diablo II looked a lot more 'dark' than with this disabled, and
still crashed when exiting to the desktop, so I disabled it again.

>auto Hz maximale Bildwiederholfrequenz

This also fails sometimes; when I left this at auto, for some reason, it
still defaulted to 60Hz, despite my desktop being configured for 100Hz.

Anyway, thanks for your response, at least I know there are configurations
where it works ok, and perhaps an NVIDIA driver update will fix this
again...

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:51:09 -0400, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

> [...]
>> 16 MB Textur-Speicher
>> GL_EXT_paletted_texture (active)
>> GL_EXT_shared_palette_texture (active)
>> GL_EXT_packed_pixels (active)
>> DirectX für Videos (inactive)
>> Textur für Videos (active)
>> Feste Gamma-Tablelle (inactive - he that might be the culprit)
>
> Nope, this just prevents the Glide wrapper to ramp up the Gamma range.
> Tried it, Diablo II looked a lot more 'dark' than with this disabled, and
> still crashed when exiting to the desktop, so I disabled it again.
>
>> auto Hz maximale Bildwiederholfrequenz
>
> This also fails sometimes; when I left this at auto, for some reason, it
> still defaulted to 60Hz, despite my desktop being configured for 100Hz.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your response, at least I know there are
> configurations
> where it works ok, and perhaps an NVIDIA driver update will fix this

FWIW I had to go back to the 66.93 driver because 77.72 didn't play well
with D2 or with any video, for that matter. And looking around, I'm not
the only one who had to revert to the older driver because of this type of
issue. Maybe you could try rolling back, see what happens. FX5500 card BTW.

--
They're the wrong trousers Gromit!
And they've gone wrong!

In article <op.sumfmppanqnqz9@localhost>, freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:51:09 -0400, Patrick Vervoorn
><patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

[Big snippage of things I tried and did to get it to work]

>> Anyway, thanks for your response, at least I know there are
>> configurations
>> where it works ok, and perhaps an NVIDIA driver update will fix this
>> again...
>
>FWIW I had to go back to the 66.93 driver because 77.72 didn't play well
>with D2 or with any video, for that matter. And looking around, I'm not
>the only one who had to revert to the older driver because of this type of
>issue. Maybe you could try rolling back, see what happens. FX5500 card BTW.

Is this in combination with the above-mentioned Glide Wrapper, or are you
playing in Direct3D mode? I've downloaded the 66.93 drivers, will probably
try them out, although I'm not sure these drivers know about the 6600GT?
(Was that card around in November 2004?)

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:07:33 -0400, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

> In article <op.sumfmppanqnqz9@localhost>, freemont <yabba@dabba.doo>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:51:09 -0400, Patrick Vervoorn
>> <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>>

> [Big snippage of things I tried and did to get it to work]
>
>>> Anyway, thanks for your response, at least I know there are
>>> configurations
>>> where it works ok, and perhaps an NVIDIA driver update will fix this
>>> again...
>>
>> FWIW I had to go back to the 66.93 driver because 77.72 didn't play well
>> with D2 or with any video, for that matter. And looking around, I'm not
>> the only one who had to revert to the older driver because of this type
>> of
>> issue. Maybe you could try rolling back, see what happens. FX5500 card
>> BTW.
>
> Is this in combination with the above-mentioned Glide Wrapper, or are you
> playing in Direct3D mode? I've downloaded the 66.93 drivers, will
> probably
> try them out, although I'm not sure these drivers know about the 6600GT?
> (Was that card around in November 2004?)

That driver should work fine with that card. I'm not using the wrapper at
the moment but I did (with 66.93) before my most recent install of Windows
etc.

I'm just saying it's worth a try because that last driver from Nvidia did
cause headaches for a lotta people, including me. Sometimes we tend to
least suspect the newest thing, ya know? ;-)

Good luck-

--
They're the wrong trousers Gromit!
And they've gone wrong!
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
ICQ:239019703

On that special day, Patrick Vervoorn,
(patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl) said...

> >Feste Gamma-Tablelle (inactive - he that might be the culprit)
>
> Nope, this just prevents the Glide wrapper to ramp up the Gamma range.
> Tried it, Diablo II looked a lot more 'dark' than with this disabled, and
> still crashed when exiting to the desktop, so I disabled it again.

(sigh) I really had hoped that I found it. I'll have to check for the
remains in the process list that you described. Thankfully, a Windows
XP SP2 Task Manager gives a lot of detailed information, without having
to download a tool like WinTop (Microsoft Kernel Toy) or Proces View
from www.sysinternals.com.

On that special day, freemont, (yabba@dabba.doo) said...

> That driver should work fine with that card. I'm not using the wrapper at
> the moment but I did (with 66.93) before my most recent install of Windows
> etc.

I just had visited www.omegadrivers.net, where a variant of exactly
this version is offered. Maybe this is the way to go.

In article <dcb4g1$a39$04$5@news.t-online.com>,
Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>On that special day, freemont, (yabba@dabba.doo) said...
>
>> That driver should work fine with that card. I'm not using the wrapper at
>> the moment but I did (with 66.93) before my most recent install of Windows
>> etc.
>
>I just had visited www.omegadrivers.net, where a variant of exactly
>this version is offered. Maybe this is the way to go.

I've downloaded these drivers, and will try them over the weekend.

I'll also go back to Direct3D, to test it with these drivers, and see how
the 6600GT performs...

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <11ek7u28uea8e74@corp.supernews.com>,
Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:
>In article <dcb4g1$a39$04$5@news.t-online.com>,
>Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>>On that special day, freemont, (yabba@dabba.doo) said...
>>
>>> That driver should work fine with that card. I'm not using the wrapper at
>>> the moment but I did (with 66.93) before my most recent install of Windows
>>> etc.
>>
>>I just had visited www.omegadrivers.net, where a variant of exactly
>>this version is offered. Maybe this is the way to go.
>
>I've downloaded these drivers, and will try them over the weekend.
>
>I'll also go back to Direct3D, to test it with these drivers, and see how
>the 6600GT performs...

Holy cow. This was an .... interesting experience.

When I installed the Omega drivers, I could do very little with my XP
install: Windows itself complained about the drivers being for a different
version of windows, and despite setting the correct monitor, I could more
or less only select resolutions my monitor cannot display (1280x1024 @ 140
Hz for instance). Something was seriously broken.

So I then installed the official NVidia 66.93 drivers. Everything on the
desktop looked ok, but Diablo II in Direct3D mode is flickering like hell.
Very disturbing!

Running using Labusch's Glide I can, however, now exit Diablo II without
it crashing.... Hmmmm. At least one thing is fixed using these.

I'll leave them on the computer for a little while, to see how they
perform with other programs/games...

If anyone knows how to contact Mr. Labusch, I'd be much obliged, because
there certainly seems to be some kind of conflict between his Glide
wrapper, and newer NVidia drivers...

Regards,

Patrick.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:32:58 -0400, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

<shnip>

> Holy cow. This was an .... interesting experience.
>
> When I installed the Omega drivers, I could do very little with my XP
> install: Windows itself complained about the drivers being for a
> different
> version of windows, and despite setting the correct monitor, I could more
> or less only select resolutions my monitor cannot display (1280x1024 @
> 140
> Hz for instance). Something was seriously broken.
>
> So I then installed the official NVidia 66.93 drivers. Everything on the
> desktop looked ok, but Diablo II in Direct3D mode is flickering like
> hell.
> Very disturbing!
>
> Running using Labusch's Glide I can, however, now exit Diablo II without
> it crashing.... Hmmmm. At least one thing is fixed using these.
>
> I'll leave them on the computer for a little while, to see how they
> perform with other programs/games...
>
> If anyone knows how to contact Mr. Labusch, I'd be much obliged, because
> there certainly seems to be some kind of conflict between his Glide
> wrapper, and newer NVidia drivers..

Maybe it was remnants of those Omega drivers, whatever the hell that is.
Are you uninstalling the old ones before installing the new ones? Either
way, I might try uninstalling the drivers again, then reinstalling them,
all in Safe Mode, and maybe it'll help clean up all traces of previous
drivers.

Also, with that wrapper, aren't there two methods of installation, and
isn't one of them just a matter of simply copying a dll to the game
folder? This is what I remember doing (that worked).

--

In article <op.suoviwvanqnqz9@localhost>, freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:32:58 -0400, Patrick Vervoorn
><patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

>> Running using Labusch's Glide I can, however, now exit Diablo II without
>> it crashing.... Hmmmm. At least one thing is fixed using these.
>>
>> I'll leave them on the computer for a little while, to see how they
>> perform with other programs/games...
>>
>> If anyone knows how to contact Mr. Labusch, I'd be much obliged, because
>> there certainly seems to be some kind of conflict between his Glide
>> wrapper, and newer NVidia drivers..
>
>Maybe it was remnants of those Omega drivers, whatever the hell that is.
>Are you uninstalling the old ones before installing the new ones? Either
>way, I might try uninstalling the drivers again, then reinstalling them,
>all in Safe Mode, and maybe it'll help clean up all traces of previous
>drivers.

I removed the Omega drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro, and I know of no
better way to remove old drivers than that...

>Also, with that wrapper, aren't there two methods of installation, and
>isn't one of them just a matter of simply copying a dll to the game
>folder? This is what I remember doing (that worked).

Yes, I'm using the 'copy-dll-into-diablo2-folder' install method. :)

I'll see what these 66.93 drivers do for me (or not) before I decide to
uninstall them....

Regards,

Patrick.

Freemont <A@B.C> wrote in news:Xns96A2B2D9339D3ABC@63.223.7.253:

> Funny you should say that... the same damn thing happened with me! My
> game kept freezing up, then minimizing to a desktop, and when I
> brought it back up of course I was dead. This happened several times.
>
> You know what? Glide is fine with me! I removed the dll from the game
> folder. Just made a couple of runs with Glide and it worked like a
> champ, alt-tab is ok again, and it looks great. No flickering, no
> bullshit, and I refuse to occupy my only playing time with video
> issues. :-D
>
> And I will still stick with these 66.93 drivers. Good luck on your
> end!
>:)

Good grief, replace all above references to "Glide" with "Direct Draw"!!

See?? Been spending too much time on this!! ;-D

--
freemont

In article <Xns96A2B42058219ABC@63.223.7.253>, Freemont <A@B.C> wrote:
>Freemont <A@B.C> wrote in news:Xns96A2B2D9339D3ABC@63.223.7.253:
>
>> Funny you should say that... the same damn thing happened with me! My
>> game kept freezing up, then minimizing to a desktop, and when I
>> brought it back up of course I was dead. This happened several times.
>>
>> You know what? Glide is fine with me! I removed the dll from the game
>> folder. Just made a couple of runs with Glide and it worked like a
>> champ, alt-tab is ok again, and it looks great. No flickering, no
>> bullshit, and I refuse to occupy my only playing time with video
>> issues. :-D
>>
>> And I will still stick with these 66.93 drivers. Good luck on your
>> end!
>>:)
>
>Good grief, replace all above references to "Glide" with "Direct Draw"!!
>
>See?? Been spending too much time on this!! ;-D

:) Regardless, you have a point there, but the Glide vs Direct3D vs
DirectDraw has been a bit of a challenge for me. I wanted, and still want,
it to work.

Current setup is now ok again: 77.76 drivers, Labusch wrapper, game runs
fine and super-smooth. Problem with exiting probably remains, but I'll see
what happens when I end my current session, because I'm currently simply
having too much fun playing the damned game! :)

And with Patch 1.11 coming... Whooo boy! :)

Regards,

Patrick.

TRENDING THREADS