CE mod - lava dogs in Worldstone Keep

Is it just my imagination, or are these lava acid spitting dogs in late Act
5 almost impossible to kill? My Barb can barely even hit them. I just run
past them.

I've tried everything i could think of and nothing seems to faze them. Even
the rancid gas and oil potions dont really work.

Is there a trick to killing these dogs that I am not aware of?

thanks

On 27-Jul-2005, Quadrant_Fore <No@noway.com> wrote:

> Is it just my imagination, or are these lava acid spitting dogs in late
> Act
> 5 almost impossible to kill? My Barb can barely even hit them. I just
> run
> past them.
>
> I've tried everything i could think of and nothing seems to faze them.
> Even
> the rancid gas and oil potions dont really work.
>
> Is there a trick to killing these dogs that I am not aware of?
>
> thanks

Perserverance.
Yes, they are probably the toughest 'regular' monsters, and they don't
even leave a body to hork!
If you are having trouble actually hitting them, you may want to use a few
black oils on your weapon(s) (mastery and accuracy).
Bypassing them is definitely always an option, also, it may help to level
up a bit more before you continue, go back an area or two and play at
/players 20 to gain exp.
I always have problems with them with my skellimancer because they usually
spawn magic immune, and there goes my main killing weapon (bone spear).
Just have to wait while my skellies bang away at them, even amp dmg or
decrep don't help much. I use confuse on them a lot, it helps to have
them spitting at each other instead of me and da boys while waiting for da
boys to kill one and move on to the next.
--
Not 1337.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:07:33 GMT, ArtDent wrote:

>> Is there a trick to killing these dogs that I am not aware of?
>>
>> thanks
>
> Perserverance.
> Yes, they are probably the toughest 'regular' monsters, and they don't
> even leave a body to hork!
> If you are having trouble actually hitting them, you may want to use a few
> black oils on your weapon(s) (mastery and accuracy).

I did that a few times, found some items to boost my dexterity, didnt seem
to help much.

In the end, i just ran by them and on my way to throne of destruction where
Baal and all baddies went down in a ball of flame. Relatively easy, with
all the gold unique stuff I found to help me along the way.

> I always have problems with them with my skellimancer because they usually
> spawn magic immune, and there goes my main killing weapon (bone spear).
> Just have to wait while my skellies bang away at them, even amp dmg or
> decrep don't help much. I use confuse on them a lot, it helps to have
> them spitting at each other instead of me and da boys while waiting for da
> boys to kill one and move on to the next.

I just started a skellimancer to see what it would do. I was interested to
see exactly how many skellies I could eventually raise, but its limiting me
already :-(

Quadrant_Fore wrote:

> huh. thats disaapointing. I once saw a screen shot of some game somewhere,
> Travincal, and some Necro had what appeared to be at least 100 skellies
> marching. I've often wondered how that came to be and maybe it was this
> game...

I'm not entirely sure as I went from D2C ver. 1.06 to LoD ver. 1.10,
but I *believe* earlier versions of the game (i.e., ver. 1.09) gave you
one skeleton per point in Raise Skeleton. That's how a nec could have
so many, but they were weak and died fairly easily. Then 1.10 came
along and gave you less skeletons per point in RS, but they were much,
much stronger.

But I'm not entirely sure on this. I'm a relative latecomer to the
game.

Jill

ArtDent wrote:

> Perserverance.
> Yes, they are probably the toughest 'regular' monsters, and they don't
> even leave a body to hork!

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever received a drop from these
things other than some gold and/or potions? I mean regular ones, not
boss or champ ones. I don't think I have. That, combined with that fact
that you can't hork them, leads me to believe that they're best left
alone; they're far too much trouble than they're worth to kill.

Jill

On 27-Jul-2005, Quadrant_Fore <No@noway.com> wrote:

> I just started a skellimancer to see what it would do. I was interested
> see exactly how many skellies I could eventually raise, but its limiting
> me
> already :-(

If you are playing version 7.55 and are able to 'load up' on Annihilus
charms, you will eventually be able to raise 27 skeletons and 27 skelmages
(level 100), otherwise I usually top out at about 12-15 or so of each.
The mod allows up to level 30 in spells, then you add in whatever plus to
skill items you have. Be sure to max skel mastery. I usually put a point
or three in skelmage until I max everything else I want maxed before
putting more points into skelmages (they are just weaker, but they can
help big time on those physical immunes)
Have fun, I think going from a barb to a skellimancer is about the biggest
difference in playing styles you can get, so it may take a little while to
get used to waiting for your minions to kill everything, but, do, wait
that is. The skellimancer is really not the character to wade into a
melee, he's weak and fragile.
--
Not 1337.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:39:46 GMT, ArtDent wrote:

> On 27-Jul-2005, Quadrant_Fore <No@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> I just started a skellimancer to see what it would do. I was interested
>> see exactly how many skellies I could eventually raise, but its limiting
>> me
>> already :-(
>
> If you are playing version 7.55 and are able to 'load up' on Annihilus
> charms, you will eventually be able to raise 27 skeletons and 27 skelmages
> (level 100), otherwise I usually top out at about 12-15 or so of each.

huh. thats disaapointing. I once saw a screen shot of some game somewhere,
Travincal, and some Necro had what appeared to be at least 100 skellies
marching. I've often wondered how that came to be and maybe it was this
game...

> The mod allows up to level 30 in spells, then you add in whatever plus to
> skill items you have. Be sure to max skel mastery. I usually put a point
> or three in skelmage until I max everything else I want maxed before
> putting more points into skelmages (they are just weaker, but they can
> help big time on those physical immunes)

Theres a lot of physical immunes in the game. I've even been running into
them in the Blood Moor.

> Have fun, I think going from a barb to a skellimancer is about the biggest
> difference in playing styles you can get, so it may take a little while to
> get used to waiting for your minions to kill everything, but, do, wait
> that is. The skellimancer is really not the character to wade into a
> melee, he's weak and fragile.

Naw, I've been playing this game a loooooooooooooooooong time. I've got a
Barb in single level 99 and have played several Necros before. This guy, I
plan on not putting any points into dexterity at all. Was just hoping to
get my army of 100 skellies.

Quadrant Fore asked:

>Is it just my imagination, or are these
>lava acid spitting dogs in late Act 5
>almost impossible to kill?

Nope, my barb doesn't have any problem with them. Of course my barb
uses Warcry as the method of killing them.

>My Barb can barely even hit them. I just
>run past them.

Dexterity and hitting them is no problem with Warcry. When warcry and
all the synergies are maxed, and you have a backpack full of skillers,
you will do 74-77k damage per warcry.

>I've tried everything i could think of and
>nothing seems to faze them.

Warcry them. It also stuns them and they quit spitting acid. Just don't
stand in any puddles of acid while you do it.

> Even the rancid gas and oil potions dont
>really work.

Well they do, but they probably take forever to kill the little
scumbags.

>Is there a trick to killing these dogs that I
>am not aware of?

Yep, put points in warcry and the synergies and you will see them go
down fast. Just make sure you have lots of purple pots in your belt, as
they can take your life down pretty fast. Since you aren't hitting
anything you don't leech life and mana back, not that you leech much
off of them when you do hit them. HTH

On 27-Jul-2005, Quadrant_Fore <No@noway.com> wrote:

>Was just hoping to
> get my army of 100 skellies.

You _can_ get up to 100 revives still, that may have been what you saw,
and boy, are they strong, hehe.
That is in addition to the 27 & 27 & one golem & one merc, and then, from
the doll stash, one valkyrie and ten ravens.
My poor 733mhz computer really struggles when I got all them going at once
and then we come across a pack or three of monsters. Talk about frame
stepping. It's really bad when I am doing cow runs, my frame rate goes
down to about 1.5 per second at times.
--
Not 1337.

> spitting acid. Just don't
> stand in any puddles of acid while you do it.

Acid spitting lava dogs, that reminds me of an old game very similar to
this one. In that game, lava dogs can mean instant death as they spit
acids at a frightening rate, leaving your character stunned - entering
the Hit Recovery mode.

Infravision scrolls were invaluable in taking them out.

On 27 Jul 2005, "neithskye" wrote:

>> Lava Maws are far too much trouble than they're worth to kill.

A-<censored>-MEN!

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Quadrant_Fore <No@noway.com> wrote:

>> Is it just my imagination, or are these lava acid spitting dogs in late Act
>> 5 almost impossible to kill?

I made a poll on the CE forum "what is your MOST HATED monster?"

Lava Maws topped the chart, over 3 times the most hated of the next
monster type.

The poll choices included e.g. Fanaticism Enhanced FrenzyTaurs,
Whatever's At The Bottom Of The Stairs, anything Immune To Physical
*and* Immune To Magic, Stygian Dammits, critters with Iron Maiden, Fire
Enchanted, Champion archer bosses & minions, and Other Not Listed.

Lava Maws got 3 votes for each 1 vote gotten by the next 3 'most hated'.

One of the choices was "Who cares? Kill them all, let Chaos sort them
out!", this choice placed 5th IIRC.

--

On 28-Jul-2005, Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:

> I made a poll on the CE forum

Are you a mod there? Even if you are not, would/could you please make a
suggestion to Mr. Chaos Energy regarding the mod? How about a cube recipe
that takes 6 different pgems and makes one ptopaz - one of each of the
others = 1 ptopaz. The reason is that I want to make unique jewels and
will hardly ever, if ever at all, will want to make armor, glove, ring,
etc. uniques (I find or gamble those enough). Perhaps even make it so
that any 6 different pgems will make the seventh, no matter which one you
are trying for, for other people that may want other types more than
topazes.
I have all these pgems of the 'other' types that I hardly have any use for
besides creating sockets that I would like to use up instead of selling or
just dropping.
Thank you.
--
Not 1337.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:36:25 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>> On 28-Jul-2005, Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:
>>
>> > I made a poll on the CE forum
>>
>> Are you a mod there? Even if you are not, would/could you please make a
>> suggestion to Mr. Chaos Energy regarding the mod? How about a cube recipe
>> that takes 6 different pgems and makes one ptopaz - one of each of the
>> others = 1 ptopaz. The reason is that I want to make unique jewels and
>> will hardly ever, if ever at all, will want to make armor, glove, ring,
>> etc. uniques (I find or gamble those enough). Perhaps even make it so
>> that any 6 different pgems will make the seventh, no matter which one you
>> are trying for, for other people that may want other types more than
>> topazes.
>> I have all these pgems of the 'other' types that I hardly have any use for
>> besides creating sockets that I would like to use up instead of selling or
>> just dropping.
>> Thank you.

Highly unlikely. PGems drop like rain in NM and Hell as is.

Do NM cows and you're up to your waist in PGems, flawless gems, eggs,
and souls -> eggs, and eggs are a good source of PTopaz.

and no I'm not on the modder team, I don't speak German well enough to
stay curernt on the trains of thought.

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:11:49 GMT, Brian Brunner
<brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:

>On 27 Jul 2005, "neithskye" wrote:
>
>>> Lava Maws are far too much trouble than they're worth to kill.
>
>A-<censored>-MEN!

How does a skellimancer deal with them then? Its not like you can tell
your skeletons, ignore these monsters.

On 28-Jul-2005, Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:

> Do NM cows and you're up to your waist in PGems, flawless gems, eggs,
> and souls -> eggs, and eggs are a good source of PTopaz.

Is NM better than Hell Cows? I have been playing in the hell cow level
most nights lately while waiting for the clone to spawn and get lots of
pgems and eggs and green and gold items there already. I still have over
100 ptopazes currently (after creating 5 unique jewels the other night, I
want to try tricking out my merc with a bunch of ED to see if they give
more oomph than zod's), but I also have over 160 of each of the other gems
as well with no real use for them all. Do you have any suggestions?
(remember, I have no desire to use them in the unique recipes)
--
Not 1337.

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, howldog wrote:

>> >A-<censored>-MEN!
>>
>> How does a skellimancer deal with them then? Its not like you can tell
>> your skeletons, ignore these monsters.

1: Dim Vision: they can't spit if they can't see.
2: Confusion: in a room full of targets, the odds that you're the
targeted one drop.
3: Attract: as confuse, with focus
4: teleport past them (all methods above are with the intent that you
can pass and disengage)
5: amp damage (drops their physical resistance from high+ to small- )
6: Poison Nova
(these two options are with intent to wipe their unlamented butts off
the map)

That said, they slow me up more than just about any other monster.

--

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, "ArtDent" wrote:

>> On 28-Jul-2005, Brian Brunner wrote:
>>
>> > Do NM cows and you're up to your waist in PGems, flawless gems, eggs,
>> > and souls -> eggs, and eggs are a good source of PTopaz.
>>
>> Is NM better than Hell Cows? I have been playing in the hell cow level
>> most nights lately while waiting for the clone to spawn and get lots of
>> pgems and eggs and green and gold items there already. I still have over
>> 100 ptopazes currently (after creating 5 unique jewels the other night, I
>> want to try tricking out my merc with a bunch of ED to see if they give
>> more oomph than zod's), but I also have over 160 of each of the other gems
>> as well with no real use for them all. Do you have any suggestions?
>> (remember, I have no desire to use them in the unique recipes)

I don't know if you can get DClone to spawn on the Farm... unless The
King is the superunique that DC replaces (never experienced it).

Suggesting NM over Hell is for killing speed hence gem/egg/soul drops

25 PSkulls make a ghost doll (to make an item ethereal).
Beyond that and socketing items, no I don't know what to do with 200
PAmethysts.

--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

In article <iv9le1hrggokikketcmaecm6ks96en553a@4ax.com>,
Brian Brunner <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:

[snippage]

>25 PSkulls make a ghost doll (to make an item ethereal).
>Beyond that and socketing items, no I don't know what to do with 200
>PAmethysts.

I don't know anything about the CE mod, but if I had 200 PAmethysts, I'd
be crafting caster amulets all day! (And perhaps the CE mod modified
something in this regard to make better stuff possible...?)

Regards,

Patrick.