GeForce2 Pro without fan

olhado

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
I'm owner of Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro Graphics Card.
After one year of use fan on it ceased to function properly - it's very loud - so i just removed it.

My question is if it's possible to use this card without fan on it - it has very big and solid radiator anyway. Is it possible to destroy card using it without cooler fan?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you could actually get it hot enough to start a fire. If this were to happen while you were sleeping, it could be desasterous. A few people have lost their homes to PC fires, though I've never heard of a death.

If you touch the heatsink and it feels as hot as a hot cup of coffee (the kind you can barely stand to sip), it's already too hot. You have a couple options, but the best one is to replace the fan with a new one. 40mm fans usually fit OK, but they do increase the thickness of the card. If that's acceptable, you can get such fans from Radio Shack (too expensive), some PC stores, or used on some early Pentium/late 486 coolers.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS