WTD: Latitude CPx-J System Software CD

I have recently acquired a Latitude CPx-J laptop, with no disks and an
empty hard drive. I've been successful in acquiring a Resource CD
for this computer, but still need a System Software CD, or a copy of
it.

The Dell folks don't answer my emails to buy one, so I'll be happy to
acquire whatever I can find.

I've been to the Dell web site and downloaded everything they have,
but that source is missing all the html user docs and a working
diagnostics.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada
smythe@shaw.ca

If you need a copy of the operating system to install, does the computer have a
Microsoft Certificate of Authentication sticker? If so, is this the version of
Windows you want to install? Dell systems can be set up with a vanilla version
of Windows, because that is almost exactly what Dell ships (shipped) with its
systems. In addition, the resource CD should provide the drivers needed over
and beyond what is already built into the Windows install CD... Ben Myers

> If you need a copy of the operating system to install, does the computer
> have a
> Microsoft Certificate of Authentication sticker? If so, is this the
> version of
> Windows you want to install? Dell systems can be set up with a vanilla
> version
> of Windows, because that is almost exactly what Dell ships (shipped) with
> its
> systems. In addition, the resource CD should provide the drivers needed
> over
> and beyond what is already built into the Windows install CD... Ben Myers

Mine has a Win95 COA.........

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:38:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

> If you need a copy of the operating system to install, does the computer have a
> Microsoft Certificate of Authentication sticker?

What I'm looking for is the Dell System Software disk. That's what
it's called. I already have, and have installed, my own OEM
version of WinXP Home-SP1. The computer runs like a champ, but is
missing all the Dell drivers and utilities. Dell's own Dowload site
was pretty much of a disappointment.

I have visited eBay and have observed that both a Dell "Resource" CD
and a Dell "System Software" CD have been sold by various vendors.
So far, none have agreed to sell to me in Canada, which is why I'm now
trying to find the System Software CD from another source.

copy of the Dell Resource CD for my CPx-J laptop and it's on its way
to me now. So now, I'm looking for an original or a copy of the
Dell System Software CD.

Regards,

Terry

If you did have a Dell System Software disk, you might still be disappointed.
The Dell System Software disk for this model was produced before Windows XP, and
the software on it may or may not run under XP... Ben Myers

Terry Smythe wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:38:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>

>>If you need a copy of the operating system to install, does the computer have a
>>Microsoft Certificate of Authentication sticker?
>

> What I'm looking for is the Dell System Software disk. That's what
> it's called. I already have, and have installed, my own OEM
> version of WinXP Home-SP1. The computer runs like a champ, but is
> missing all the Dell drivers and utilities. Dell's own Dowload site
> was pretty much of a disappointment.
>
> I have visited eBay and have observed that both a Dell "Resource" CD
> and a Dell "System Software" CD have been sold by various vendors.
> So far, none have agreed to sell to me in Canada, which is why I'm now
> trying to find the System Software CD from another source.

> copy of the Dell Resource CD for my CPx-J laptop and it's on its way
> to me now. So now, I'm looking for an original or a copy of the
> Dell System Software CD.

Have you tried running Windows Update. You might find yourself
pleasantly surprised.

Bob

Terry Smythe <smythe@shaw.ca> writes:

>I have recently acquired a Latitude CPx-J laptop, with no disks and an
>empty hard drive. I've been successful in acquiring a Resource CD
>for this computer, but still need a System Software CD, or a copy of
>it.

>I've been to the Dell web site and downloaded everything they have,
>but that source is missing all the html user docs and a working
>diagnostics.

For the docs...it took me about 15 seconds (mostly spent waiting for
a page to load) to find the user docs:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcpxhj/en/index.htm

which offers both the user's guide and the service manual.

And the regular download pages for the CPxJ do offer diagnostics;
were they not what you were looking for? (I arbitrarily selected
"Windows 2000" as the operating system; this may affect whether
the diagnostics packages are offered.)

Joe Morris