problem installing new video card; need advice

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001
Hello All;
I am having a bit of a problem installing a new video card and was hoping for a bit of advice.

I currently have a TNT2 Ultra (32MB) card installed on my system and it works beautifully. A friend recently gave me a GeForce4 MX440 (64MB) card to try, and I went ahead and tried to install it. The steps I followed:
a) I changed my current drivers to VGA and shut down the computer
b) I opened the case and replaced the card into the AGP slot (it went in quite smoothly). This was the same slot that had the TNT2 card.
c) I closed everything up and rebooted.

This is when the problem happened. All I heard was the computer starting to boot up, then I heard 1 relatively long beep followed by 3 short beeps, and then the computer shut down. Nothing ever appeared on my monitor. I tried to reboot a couple of times but always the same problem (and the same sequence of beeps). I put back the TNT2 Ultra card and it works fine (the system boots up quite nicely).

Would anyone have any advice as to what the problem is when I’m trying to boot up? Is there some sort of incompatibility with my motherboard and the card (I don’t see how it could be. I have an ASUS CUV4X board). Is there any kind of diagnostic test I can do to see what the problem might be? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks as always to those who take the time to respond.
Best wishes,
smeghead

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
The beeps you heard is the BIOS way to give you a message when it can´t give it visualy. You should look in the motherboards manual or on the manufacturers website for what the beeps mean. It could be that the graphics card isn´t working.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001
Thank you to all who wrote back. In case anyone else is facing this problem, I found out that the series of beeps was to let me know that the video card was either not found or that the card memory was bad. Following Johnoh's advice, I tried to reseat the card and upon rebooting the system did recognize it. Problem solved. Thanks again.
smeghead

TRENDING THREADS