idea for anti-bot script

keith

I'd only use this if I had the code and could compile it myself (too many
trojans out there) but just to throw out the idea- wouldn't it be nice if
every char that joined a game was auto-muted immediately, and unmuted
(automatically) only if you invite them? that way a newly joining level 1
bot is already squelched. Or maybe a hotkey that would both mute the last
speaker, and also trigger 'n' to clear the screen at the same time. Just
random thoughts...

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Keith wrote:
> I'd only use this if I had the code and could compile it myself (too many
> trojans out there) but just to throw out the idea- wouldn't it be nice if
> every char that joined a game was auto-muted immediately, and unmuted
> (automatically) only if you invite them? that way a newly joining level 1
> bot is already squelched. Or maybe a hotkey that would both mute the last
> speaker, and also trigger 'n' to clear the screen at the same time. Just
> random thoughts...

I used to play netrek in the 1990s. Yes, a networking game more than 10
years old.

To detect bots and/or clueless noobs, the server used to ask you a
question through the messaging system. If you were not a noob, you could
answer. If you failed to answer, it would boot you.

D2 could do the same, every so often, asking you the question. Not sure
why this was never implemented...

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Keith wrote:
> I'd only use this if I had the code and could compile it myself (too many
> trojans out there) but just to throw out the idea- wouldn't it be nice if
> every char that joined a game was auto-muted immediately, and unmuted
> (automatically) only if you invite them? that way a newly joining level 1
> bot is already squelched. Or maybe a hotkey that would both mute the last
> speaker, and also trigger 'n' to clear the screen at the same time. Just
> random thoughts...

Level 1 characters should only be in a beginning act 1 norm game.
Simply subtract 5 levels from your own and set the level requirements.
This will kill 95% of the spam bots.