Windows XP SP2 and Network problems (Wireless and wire)

Hi,

For some reason, my network was working fine for the first few weeks.

I am on a wireless network with no WEP security, so I just pick up the
signal and surf the web.

One day, I stopped getting a signal. I tried to disable my wireless
card and enabling it again. Nothing works. No signal at all..
Strange thing is that other people in the house pick up a signal just
fine. I tried to restart the router and the modem. No dice. Its
only my laptop.

I dont know what to do-- this happened to my desktop once, I had to
use the system restore feature to roll it back a few days.. that did
the trick, but im having no luck this time around.

I remember only installing Symantec Antivirus that weekend.. I dont
know why that would do anything to hinder my network connection. I
try plugging in a network wire into my laptop as well, still no luck.
It says its plugged in, but does not pick up any info from DHCP.

help ?

The only thing I can think of is to reinstall windows... but I dont
have my windows CD with me.. so im trying to find a way to fix it...
drivers maybe? why would i need new drivers when its been working fine
... I really have no idea...

thanks..
2 answers Last reply
More about windows network problems wireless wire

    Did you also install a firewall?

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "SK" <reviled_2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For some reason, my network was working fine for the first few weeks.
    >
    > I am on a wireless network with no WEP security, so I just pick up the
    > signal and surf the web.
    >
    > One day, I stopped getting a signal. I tried to disable my wireless
    > card and enabling it again. Nothing works. No signal at all..
    > Strange thing is that other people in the house pick up a signal just
    > fine. I tried to restart the router and the modem. No dice. Its
    > only my laptop.
    >
    > I dont know what to do-- this happened to my desktop once, I had to
    > use the system restore feature to roll it back a few days.. that did
    > the trick, but im having no luck this time around.
    >
    > I remember only installing Symantec Antivirus that weekend.. I dont
    > know why that would do anything to hinder my network connection. I
    > try plugging in a network wire into my laptop as well, still no luck.
    > It says its plugged in, but does not pick up any info from DHCP.
    >

    > help ?
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is to reinstall windows... but I dont
    > have my windows CD with me.. so im trying to find a way to fix it...
    > drivers maybe? why would i need new drivers when its been working fine
    > .. I really have no idea...
    >
    > thanks..

    Get rid of the symantic antivirus and check for a connection. I have had to
    remove symantics anti virus products from so many of my client's systems
    that I have taken to listing it as unsupported in all of our contracts.
    When you restore your connection and prove that it is the result of the
    symantic anti virus, I would suggest using either Computer Associates
    products or V-comms System Suite V (five). Not only have I found that these
    products are the least disruptive on wireless network connections, they are
    also the two most aggressively updated anti-virus products on the market.
    "SK" <reviled_2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For some reason, my network was working fine for the first few weeks.
    >
    > I am on a wireless network with no WEP security, so I just pick up the
    > signal and surf the web.
    >
    > One day, I stopped getting a signal. I tried to disable my wireless
    > card and enabling it again. Nothing works. No signal at all..
    > Strange thing is that other people in the house pick up a signal just
    > fine. I tried to restart the router and the modem. No dice. Its
    > only my laptop.
    >
    > I dont know what to do-- this happened to my desktop once, I had to
    > use the system restore feature to roll it back a few days.. that did
    > the trick, but im having no luck this time around.
    >
    > I remember only installing Symantec Antivirus that weekend.. I dont
    > know why that would do anything to hinder my network connection. I
    > try plugging in a network wire into my laptop as well, still no luck.
    > It says its plugged in, but does not pick up any info from DHCP.
    >

    > help ?
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is to reinstall windows... but I dont
    > have my windows CD with me.. so im trying to find a way to fix it...
    > drivers maybe? why would i need new drivers when its been working fine
    > .. I really have no idea...
    >
    > thanks..

Wireless Windows XP Wireless Networking