Will this laptop run UT2003 and Doom3?

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Hi,

Will a laptop with a 2.4Ghz CPU, 512Mb RAM and a ATi Mobility 7500 run UT2003 and more importantly DOOM 3? Or should I get a laptop with the Mobility 9000 or GF4 440/460 Go?

Thanks

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
"If that ringing endorsement doesn't whet your appetite, try another thing Carmack said on for size:

"You know, on our current work at Id right now we're still pushing really hard to make Doom run well on various high end desk top cards. So it's pretty startling to be able to fire it up on a laptop and see it run at a really pretty startling good pace."

That's right. Carmack stated that Doom 3 will be able to run smoothly on a mobile platform powered by a Mobility Radeon 9000. A next generation, highly intensive game able to run on a laptop. Why can the Mobility Radeon 9000 succeed where other mobile chips are sure to fail? It is because of the pixel and vertex shaders incorporated into the chip as well as the fast 4 pixel pipeline that it employs."

Anandtech

My main concern is resolution support. While the Mobility Radeon 9000 hit 70FPS in UT2003, it did so at 800X600. Most laptop LCDs are high resolution, so you'll probably have to deal with the image being degraded due to the fact LCDs have poor handleing of resolutions other than those they are designed for. Also, laptop controllers are very poor for FPSes - I once tried to demonstrate No One Lives Forever on my dad's Thinkpad. Let's say the first level was hard, especially since I didn't know how to activate the scope without a wheel...