Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

necro strats

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:47:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful. Thanks.

More about : necro strats

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:32:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

garret wrote:
> Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
> necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
> work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
> resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
> to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful. Thanks.

20 Raise Skeleton
20 Mastery
20 Corpse Explosion
20 Dim Vision
1 Fire Golem
1 Revive
1 Prison
1 in each curse
1 each prereq

Hell is a cakewalk. (For extra style points, the full Trang's set is
mandatory.)
--
Zamboni
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:00:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:47:53 -0400, garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
> necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
> work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
> resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
> to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful. Thanks.
>

http://tinyurl.com/824tn

--
They're the wrong trousers Gromit!
And they've gone wrong!
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
ICQ:239019703
Related resources
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:09:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hey Zamboni, a few questions:
Why Corpse Explosion, and why Dim Vision...not AmpDmg?
Why 1 point in Fire G, Revive, and Prison?

It seems this char definintely relies on there being lots of corpses
around.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:18:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Also Zamboni you didn't put any points in summon resist..why is that?

What other kinds of necros are there besides skellemancers? Whoever
has a good build be kind enough to post it please for ideas.
Thanks
August 2, 2005 3:44:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

garret wrote:
> Also Zamboni you didn't put any points in summon resist..why is that?
>
> What other kinds of necros are there besides skellemancers? Whoever
> has a good build be kind enough to post it please for ideas.
> Thanks

I am building a very nasty necro now.

20 Poison Dagger
20 Poison Explosion
20 Poison Nova
20 Decrepify
rest in Terror

My MO: Decrep the enemies. Poison Nova them. Stab those that get close
to me (5,000 poison over 9.6 seconds). When a corpse drops, explode it
with Poison Explosion (about 10,000 poison over 11 seconds). Then
terror!

They run away and die from the poison, leaving me in peace. :) 

-Jason
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:54:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

What about poison resist enemies =)?
August 2, 2005 3:59:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

garret wrote:
> What about poison resist enemies =)?

I'm planning to ignore them or run away from them. This is a SC, USW
char, so I can always get help or simply die if I need to. ;) 
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:03:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hmmm thats an interesting strategy, but I want to see what else is on
the table first..
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Jason wrote:
>
> I am building a very nasty necro now.
>
> 20 Poison Dagger
> 20 Poison Explosion
> 20 Poison Nova
> 20 Decrepify
> rest in Terror
>
> My MO: Decrep the enemies. Poison Nova them. Stab those that get close
> to me (5,000 poison over 9.6 seconds). When a corpse drops, explode it
> with Poison Explosion (about 10,000 poison over 11 seconds). Then
> terror!
>
> They run away and die from the poison, leaving me in peace. :) 
>
No Lower Resist?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:37:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Zamboni in your strat you did not list Summon Resist as a skill
necessary- why is that? I would imagine that Diablo, etc would own the
skellies without any kind of resist at all.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:40:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

garret wrote:
> Also Zamboni you didn't put any points in summon resist..why is that?
>
One point is all it needs.

> What other kinds of necros are there besides skellemancers? Whoever
> has a good build be kind enough to post it please for ideas.

Bonemancer - Bone Spear and Spirit
Venomancer - all poison
Zookeeper - used to be Revives and Iron Maiden (nerfed)
Golemancer - Iron Golem (nerfed)
Lord of Mages - Skeleton Mages and Lower Resist
Mojomancer - curses
Blood Lord - Blood Golem and Iron Maiden (broken)
Trang - Fireball, Firewall, Lower Resist, Moonfall

I've also tried a Venomancer hybrid, adding 10 points each to Skeletons
and Mastery as an mobile shield wall. Some people find pure
Skellimancers to get boring after a while, but the hybrid lets you get
your hands dirty in relative safety.
--
Zamboni
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:48:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Zamboni wrote:
> garret wrote:
> > Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
> > necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
> > work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
> > resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
> > to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful. Thanks.
>
> 20 Raise Skeleton
> 20 Mastery
> 20 Corpse Explosion
> 20 Dim Vision
> 1 Fire Golem
> 1 Revive
> 1 Prison
> 1 in each curse
> 1 each prereq

You didn't put any points into summon resist.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:49:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

garret wrote:
> Zamboni in your strat you did not list Summon Resist as a skill
> necessary- why is that? I would imagine that Diablo, etc would own the
> skellies without any kind of resist at all.

One point. Normal Diablo is your toughest battle of the game - you'll
need to refill the skellies a few times. Nightmare and Hell Diablos are
baby seals after they've been Decrepify'd.
--
Zamboni
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:55:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

So through your experience, what would you say is the most fun, yet
also very effective, type of necromancer. I'm eager here =).
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:57:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

So through your experience, what would you say is the most fun, yet
also very effective, type of necromancer. I'm eager here =).
August 2, 2005 5:01:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Zamboni wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> >
> > I am building a very nasty necro now.
> >
> > 20 Poison Dagger
> > 20 Poison Explosion
> > 20 Poison Nova
> > 20 Decrepify
> > rest in Terror
> >
> > My MO: Decrep the enemies. Poison Nova them. Stab those that get close
> > to me (5,000 poison over 9.6 seconds). When a corpse drops, explode it
> > with Poison Explosion (about 10,000 poison over 11 seconds). Then
> > terror!
> >
> > They run away and die from the poison, leaving me in peace. :) 
> >
> No Lower Resist?

That's a good idea too! I'm only level 33 and haven't put any points in
curses yet. Maybe I'll substitute lower resists for decrep.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I'm just looking for a fun necro to play that will do very well through
Hell. Any suggestions from actual people who have high level necros
and have tried strategies? Zamboni which was your favorite kind?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:39:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123006691.386206.321060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Also Zamboni you didn't put any points in summon resist..why is that?
>
> What other kinds of necros are there besides skellemancers? Whoever
> has a good build be kind enough to post it please for ideas.
> Thanks

There are as many different builds as playing styles.

My summoner is a Mickey build, max skells, mastery, and CE. My boner is a
bone spear, boneprison varient as detailed on D2.net. I have never managed
to get a poison nova necro out of nightmare yet, in fact I have yet to have
one that could solo normal baal yet so don't ask me about the poison branch.

A summoner can rely on their merc for killing, on their skells, or on CE.
Part of it depends on how good your equipment closet is, a well equipped act
2 merc chews thru monsters, a poorly equipped act 3 lightning can hardly
touch them.

If you max skells and mastery, a good dozen +skills will give you skells
that hardly ever die even in hell. They may kill slowly, but they keep the
monsters off of you.

Yet another build mentioned here a week or so ago was the meatgrinder, a
mickey with the addition of bonespear to help things along.
August 2, 2005 6:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

garret wrote:
> I'm just looking for a fun necro to play that will do very well through
> Hell. Any suggestions from actual people who have high level necros
> and have tried strategies? Zamboni which was your favorite kind?

So, you want chars that have actually been tested, huh? Well, my
poisonmancer will work. Oh, yes, he'll work! ;) 

Seriously - go cookie cutter. Skellimancer all the way.

-Jason
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:38:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Zamboni" <thezambonis@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1122993141.661710.32880@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> garret wrote:
> > Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
> > necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
> > work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
> > resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
> > to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful. Thanks.
>
> 20 Raise Skeleton
> 20 Mastery
> 20 Corpse Explosion
> 20 Dim Vision
> 1 Fire Golem
> 1 Revive
> 1 Prison
> 1 in each curse
> 1 each prereq
>
> Hell is a cakewalk. (For extra style points, the full Trang's set is
> mandatory.)


.....anyone know if we got the much promised & awaited fix to full trangs
casting rate in 1.11??!?

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:38:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
news:bsMHe.78794$Pf3.78427@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "Zamboni" <thezambonis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1122993141.661710.32880@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > garret wrote:
> > > Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
> > > necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
> > > work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
> > > resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
> > > to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful.
Thanks.
> >
> > 20 Raise Skeleton
> > 20 Mastery
> > 20 Corpse Explosion
> > 20 Dim Vision
> > 1 Fire Golem
> > 1 Revive
> > 1 Prison
> > 1 in each curse
> > 1 each prereq
> >
> > Hell is a cakewalk. (For extra style points, the full Trang's set is
> > mandatory.)
>
>
> ....anyone know if we got the much promised & awaited fix to full trangs
> casting rate in 1.11??!?

Just tested, mine still fires about 1 spear per second.

So it looks like it still isn't fixed.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:43:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On 2 Aug 2005 14:55:46 -0700, "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>garret wrote:
>> I'm just looking for a fun necro to play that will do very well through
>> Hell. Any suggestions from actual people who have high level necros
>> and have tried strategies? Zamboni which was your favorite kind?
>
>So, you want chars that have actually been tested, huh? Well, my
>poisonmancer will work. Oh, yes, he'll work! ;) 
>
>Seriously - go cookie cutter. Skellimancer all the way.

It doesn't have to be totally cookie-cutter. Skellimancer is so
powerful that there's a lot of slop - which you can use to customize,
to some extent. Really, after 20 Skeletons + 20 Skeleton Mastery,
everything else is optional. Mages/No mages, Revives/No revives,
CE/No CE... Hell, my first try at it, I never even mapped a key to
Dim Vision, which I now consider almost indispensible.

It's a build you can play around with, and as long as you get the core
skills (Skeletons, Mastery, and probably one hard point in Amp
Damage), you don't have to be compulsive about wringing out every last
synergy or spreading your stats properly to maximize life while still
accomodating uber-gear. For that matter, you don't even need
uber-gear - it's the #1 build IMO for "play with what you find".
There are tons of Skellimancers who killed Hell Baal with a white wand
they bought from Normal Akara or a set of vanilla (Elite) armor with
socketed PTopazes, just because they never found a need to slow down
to get something better.

--Craig

--
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." - The Replacements
Craig Richardson (crichard-tacoma@worldnet.att.net)
August 2, 2005 9:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Craig Richardson wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2005 14:55:46 -0700, "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >garret wrote:
> >> I'm just looking for a fun necro to play that will do very well through
> >> Hell. Any suggestions from actual people who have high level necros
> >> and have tried strategies? Zamboni which was your favorite kind?
> >
> >So, you want chars that have actually been tested, huh? Well, my
> >poisonmancer will work. Oh, yes, he'll work! ;) 
> >
> >Seriously - go cookie cutter. Skellimancer all the way.
>
> It doesn't have to be totally cookie-cutter. Skellimancer is so
> powerful that there's a lot of slop - which you can use to customize,
> to some extent. Really, after 20 Skeletons + 20 Skeleton Mastery,
> everything else is optional. Mages/No mages, Revives/No revives,
> CE/No CE... Hell, my first try at it, I never even mapped a key to
> Dim Vision, which I now consider almost indispensible.
>
> It's a build you can play around with, and as long as you get the core
> skills (Skeletons, Mastery, and probably one hard point in Amp
> Damage), you don't have to be compulsive about wringing out every last
> synergy or spreading your stats properly to maximize life while still
> accomodating uber-gear. For that matter, you don't even need
> uber-gear - it's the #1 build IMO for "play with what you find".
> There are tons of Skellimancers who killed Hell Baal with a white wand
> they bought from Normal Akara or a set of vanilla (Elite) armor with
> socketed PTopazes, just because they never found a need to slow down
> to get something better.

That was my impression, too. It seems that almost everyone makes a
skellimancer, and then uses him to MF items for the "fun" chars, like
barbs, amazons, barbs, sorcs, barbs, assassins, and barbs. He he, I
never really liked pally's or druids.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:06:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1122983273.529504.126540@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hey, I've played Hammerdin for a while but I'm interested in making a
> necromancer. Making tons of skeletons looks fun, but does this strat
> work in Hell (even with lvl 20 skelies + 20 mages + 20 mastery + 20
> resist)? If this is the bad way to go, then what is another good way
> to make a necro? Any advice from necro users would be useful. Thanks.

Summoner necro based on one i use to clear ANYWHERE in 8-player hell games:
http://dwc.no-ip.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewt...

Bone spells on it might not be very useful since 1.11.... but should be fine
as they were only back-up to kill the first 1-2 monsters in blood-moor
anyways :¬)

Note: Summancers like the one in site above can get boring FAST; they dont
need to move much, dont die often... and basically dont fear anything :¬/

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:51:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I'm starting to think that a poison/bone necro will be more fun than
summoner. Good ideas so far, but keep them coming!
I'm very interested in stat distribution as well as skill distribution.
Btw, I'm assuming that the term 'cookie cutter' means something like a
standard, usual version?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:59:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On 2 Aug 2005, "Jason" wrote:

>> garret wrote:
>> > I'm just looking for a fun necro to play that will do very well through
>> > Hell. Any suggestions from actual people who have high level necros
>> > and have tried strategies? Zamboni which was your favorite kind?
>>
>> So, you want chars that have actually been tested, huh? Well, my
>> poisonmancer will work. Oh, yes, he'll work! ;) 
>>
>> Seriously - go cookie cutter. Skellimancer all the way.
>>
>> -Jason

My favorite skelliemancer found a voodoo handbag with +revive, so I
didn't have to put points in blood and iron golem, or skelmage, to get
revives. Add the +all, +necro, and +summon skill points that I had, and
my revive mob was significant (9 moon lord revives is significant, 9
revived Fallen is hilarious). The handbag also had +summon resist.

I was happy until I had a point of damage to restore... 130,000
gold/point!

I maxed CE and DimVision for points-past-40, and they served me well.

Still, DaintyFella rocked!


--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:18:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I will and am doing that, but I want people to post their own necro
strategies for fun, I've read alot of guides about necros and most of
them are all the same, either that or seem like they would never work
(ex: spreading out skills to have 3-10 points in each skill...that one
just seemed stupid).
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:37:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> Guides are one thing, experiencing them in the 'real game' another.
>
> You've received advice for quite some workable Necromancer builds, now
> it's up to you to decide which variant you're going to build.
>
> We cannot, and should not, try to decide that for you, it's your build you
> know! :) 
>
> Oh, and how about including some quoting in your replies, so we know who
> and what you're replaying to?

Haha, sorry. I usually do though.

Anyway yes I am quite impressed with the number of necro strats posted,
and I seem to be well aware of many skellemancer strategies, but now
that some of you all have brought it up, I'm more interested in a
poison necro (seems way more fun because you do more actual playing
rather than watching), so lets expand on this idea now.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:50:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

> Try reading the link I gave in another reply to this thread and lemme know
> what you think?
> http://dwc.no-ip.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewt...
>
> I created the "guide" sometime last year based on a necro I used to clear
> ANYWHERE in 8-player games. Not sure how well it would take-out the new
> monsters in 1.11 but should be fine :¬)
>
> Note that summancers are too easy to play though and get boring VERY fast
> :¬/

Yes, I read that article and that seems like a very good build!
Personally I'm not a huge fan of skeletal mages, but I'm very impressed
with the build overall. Seems like it can indeed handle all areas.
The only areas I wonder about are ones with bosses with huge elemental
damage. But from what I've heard the 1 point in Summon Resist is
enough to stop anything.
Most likely, that is the type of necro ill go if I decide to go
skelemancer.
I'm still waiting for ideas on other kinds of necros before I
definitely start though.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:22:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

> You forget the 1 point in Decrepify, for bosses.
>
> I find the use of 20 points in Raise Skeletal Mage tricky, but then again,
> it's a Summoner, so the 'style' is to use maximum summons.
>
> Personally, I'd rather put those 20 points in CE, for a larger radius, but
> that's entirely up to personal preference.
>
> With the removal of the Marrowwalk synergy/bug, there's not that much use
> in pumping Bone Spirit/Bone Spear, since they' never do a lot of damage,
> so this leaves another 20 points open for either those Mages, or perhaps
> something like Dim Vision...
>
> Regardless, a very survivable build, so take your pick and start
> playing...

Unfortunately, I am at work right now and for the next 8 hours :/ .
I'll probably start playing once I get home, but for now I have all day
to think about it.
A few questions though:

I would do the 20 warrior + 20 mastery + 1 resist regardless but as for
the rest:
I'm wondering if these warriors (I'm assuming there will be around 10
skellies + the clay golem) will be enough to battle the hordes or will
I need the (10 or so) mages thrown in as well. If the mages are not
required, then would CE be a good choice for the rest? Or is CE not
really necessary either? I'm wondering about situations where the
enemies are far off and since all my warriors (w/o mages) would be
melee it would be hard to kill them.
Also in the summoner guide you only have 1 point on Amp Dmg, yet every
other summoner says having Decrept and Dim Vision is a must.
Any help on these issues would be much help. Thanks
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:55:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Trammel wrote:
> "garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1123067935.913595.57260@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > I will and am doing that, but I want people to post their own necro
> > strategies for fun, I've read alot of guides about necros and most of
> > them are all the same, either that or seem like they would never work
> > (ex: spreading out skills to have 3-10 points in each skill...that one
> > just seemed stupid).
>
>
> Try reading the link I gave in another reply to this thread and lemme know
> what you think?
> http://dwc.no-ip.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewt...
>
> I created the "guide" sometime last year based on a necro I used to clear
> ANYWHERE in 8-player games. Not sure how well it would take-out the new
> monsters in 1.11 but should be fine :¬)

Trammel, what is your outlook on the Dim Vision, Decrept, and Amp Dmg
curses?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:59:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

> I've never used Dim Vision as I dont think it would be that useful and
> over-rides AmpDmg.
> (Im more into brute-force than trying to hide... and my army takes 99.9% of
> any hits)
>
> AmpDmg is a really good skill for pure Summancer as it doubles your main
> attacks damage (The skell-warriors & stabby-merc). Its cheap on mana & with
> +skills can easily cover a crowd in 1-2 casts.
>
> I've never used Decrept as the clay golem slows all enemies it attacks but I
> guess if you throw 1 point into it (bonuses of using +skills) then you could
> have it and not really loose anything :¬)
>
> The build I gave you will already be finished by the time you reach hell so
> any more skills gained during hell can be played around with / saved /
> wasted.... I went the "security-freak" route and got BoneSheild mostly
> incase summit slips through the wall of skells.
>
> Skell mages come in handy when your army gets IronMaidened... as they are
> casters, they dont fall over and give you enough time to raise a new set of
> warriors without ever having to retreat ;¬)

Yeah thats true about the IM. Which enemies cast that though?

Just wondering too- I never learned- how do you cast spells using
hotkeys instead of the mouse(which is limited to right and left click)?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:24:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Trammel wrote:
> "garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1123077565.125522.73890@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >> Skell mages come in handy when your army gets IronMaidened... as they are
> >> casters, they dont fall over and give you enough time to raise a new set
> of
> >> warriors without ever having to retreat ;¬)
> >
> > Yeah thats true about the IM. Which enemies cast that though?
> >
> > Just wondering too- I never learned- how do you cast spells using
> > hotkeys instead of the mouse(which is limited to right and left click)?
>
> IM is mainly cast by Act4 ChaosSanctury casters... but can be cast all over
> D2 by other monsters.
> (I thinx summit in Travincal casts it... some stuff in Mephs lair... and
> some stuff in Baal-runs - not sure on those atm though)
>
> The hotkey question should probably be a different thread, but I'll answer
> it here ;¬)
> * Click the left/right skill to make all the skills pop-up that can be used
> on left/right mouse-button...
> * Hover over the skill you wish to set with the mouse pointer...
> * Hit the F-key (Function key) that you wish to assign to that skill.
> Thats all... now just hit that F-key to select the skill assigned to it :¬)
>
> I use (As far as I can remember):
> F1 = Help (IE: Cast TP)
> F2 = Skell warrior
> F3 = Skell mage
> F4 = Revive
>
> F5 = AmpDmg
> F6 = Corpse explosion
> F7 = I cant remember... BoneSpirit I thinx... but thats not gonna be too
> useful now MarrowWalks is fixed :¬/
> F8 = Teleport (Enigma runeword in armor)

Thanks for the help on the hotkey issue. This will SURELY be of large
help to me, not just for this character, but for all my characters
ever.

What was the marrowwalks bug that everyone is talking about?
And what is the bug on Trangs that deals with cast rate?
Lol, sorry if these sound like newb questions but I played steady for 2
years, took a 2 year break, and started up again 1 month before 1.11.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:42:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <1123079055.556642.252740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >What was the marrowwalks bug that everyone is talking about?
> >And what is the bug on Trangs that deals with cast rate?
> >Lol, sorry if these sound like newb questions but I played steady for 2
> >years, took a 2 year break, and started up again 1 month before 1.11.
>
> I agree with Trammel here; if you have enough free time to post all these
> question here, you should also have enough time to put some keywords of
> your question in Google, and the answer will be found out by yourself.
> Much more satifying too!

Ha don't worry, I am working. I post and look stuff up often on the MS
Access forums, and while I wait for replies sometimes, or during
breaks, I check back to the diablo 2 forums. I'm at a point in my work
which requires that I receive ALOT of information from my boss...and he
is slipping at his end which gives me more free time than even I would
like.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:01:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123066267.779812.206820@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm starting to think that a poison/bone necro will be more fun than
> summoner. Good ideas so far, but keep them coming!
> I'm very interested in stat distribution as well as skill distribution.
> Btw, I'm assuming that the term 'cookie cutter' means something like a
> standard, usual version?


http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=co...

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:38:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123067935.913595.57260@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I will and am doing that, but I want people to post their own necro
> strategies for fun, I've read alot of guides about necros and most of
> them are all the same, either that or seem like they would never work
> (ex: spreading out skills to have 3-10 points in each skill...that one
> just seemed stupid).


Try reading the link I gave in another reply to this thread and lemme know
what you think?
http://dwc.no-ip.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewt...

I created the "guide" sometime last year based on a necro I used to clear
ANYWHERE in 8-player games. Not sure how well it would take-out the new
monsters in 1.11 but should be fine :¬)

Note that summancers are too easy to play though and get boring VERY fast
:¬/

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:15:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1123066267.779812.206820@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm starting to think that a poison/bone necro will be more fun than
>summoner. Good ideas so far, but keep them coming!
>I'm very interested in stat distribution as well as skill distribution.
>Btw, I'm assuming that the term 'cookie cutter' means something like a
>standard, usual version?

My advice is you just start playing the game, start a necromancer, and see
where it gets you... Of Google for some build advice, there are plenty of
guides online.

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:30:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1123067935.913595.57260@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I will and am doing that, but I want people to post their own necro
>strategies for fun, I've read alot of guides about necros and most of
>them are all the same, either that or seem like they would never work
>(ex: spreading out skills to have 3-10 points in each skill...that one
>just seemed stupid).

Guides are one thing, experiencing them in the 'real game' another.

You've received advice for quite some workable Necromancer builds, now
it's up to you to decide which variant you're going to build.

We cannot, and should not, try to decide that for you, it's your build you
know! :) 

Oh, and how about including some quoting in your replies, so we know who
and what you're replaying to?

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123073726.967484.48780@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Trammel wrote:
>> "garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1123067935.913595.57260@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> I will and am doing that, but I want people to post their own necro
>>> strategies for fun, I've read alot of guides about necros and most of
>>> them are all the same, either that or seem like they would never work
>>> (ex: spreading out skills to have 3-10 points in each skill...that one
>>> just seemed stupid).
>>
>>
>> Try reading the link I gave in another reply to this thread and lemme
know
>> what you think?
>> http://dwc.no-ip.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewt...
>>
>> I created the "guide" sometime last year based on a necro I used to clear
>> ANYWHERE in 8-player games. Not sure how well it would take-out the new
>> monsters in 1.11 but should be fine :¬)
>
> Trammel, what is your outlook on the Dim Vision, Decrept, and Amp Dmg
> curses?

I've never used Dim Vision as I dont think it would be that useful and
over-rides AmpDmg.
(Im more into brute-force than trying to hide... and my army takes 99.9% of
any hits)

AmpDmg is a really good skill for pure Summancer as it doubles your main
attacks damage (The skell-warriors & stabby-merc). Its cheap on mana & with
+skills can easily cover a crowd in 1-2 casts.

I've never used Decrept as the clay golem slows all enemies it attacks but I
guess if you throw 1 point into it (bonuses of using +skills) then you could
have it and not really loose anything :¬)

The build I gave you will already be finished by the time you reach hell so
any more skills gained during hell can be played around with / saved /
wasted.... I went the "security-freak" route and got BoneSheild mostly
incase summit slips through the wall of skells.

Skell mages come in handy when your army gets IronMaidened... as they are
casters, they dont fall over and give you enough time to raise a new set of
warriors without ever having to retreat ;¬)

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:03:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
news:zY3Ie.73625$dN6.42371@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
[SNIPPAGE!!!]
> I went the "security-freak" route and got BoneSheild mostly
> incase summit slips through the wall of skells.
[snip]

BoneSheild = BoneArmor (I thinx).

Im not able to load D2 atm as I cant be arsed to remove/reinstall it for
patch right now - lol

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:04:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <712Ie.73505$dN6.72931@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1123067935.913595.57260@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> I will and am doing that, but I want people to post their own necro
>> strategies for fun, I've read alot of guides about necros and most of
>> them are all the same, either that or seem like they would never work
>> (ex: spreading out skills to have 3-10 points in each skill...that one
>> just seemed stupid).
>
>Try reading the link I gave in another reply to this thread and lemme know
>what you think?
>http://dwc.no-ip.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewt...
>
>I created the "guide" sometime last year based on a necro I used to clear
>ANYWHERE in 8-player games. Not sure how well it would take-out the new
>monsters in 1.11 but should be fine :¬)
>
>Note that summancers are too easy to play though and get boring VERY fast
>:¬/

You forget the 1 point in Decrepify, for bosses.

I find the use of 20 points in Raise Skeletal Mage tricky, but then again,
it's a Summoner, so the 'style' is to use maximum summons.

Personally, I'd rather put those 20 points in CE, for a larger radius, but
that's entirely up to personal preference.

With the removal of the Marrowwalk synergy/bug, there's not that much use
in pumping Bone Spirit/Bone Spear, since they' never do a lot of damage,
so this leaves another 20 points open for either those Mages, or perhaps
something like Dim Vision...

Regardless, a very survivable build, so take your pick and start
playing...

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:08:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1123069067.298822.194120@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>> Guides are one thing, experiencing them in the 'real game' another.
>>
>> You've received advice for quite some workable Necromancer builds, now
>> it's up to you to decide which variant you're going to build.
>>
>> We cannot, and should not, try to decide that for you, it's your build you
>> know! :) 
>>
>> Oh, and how about including some quoting in your replies, so we know who
>> and what you're replaying to?
>
>Haha, sorry. I usually do though.

Good, keep that up!

>Anyway yes I am quite impressed with the number of necro strats posted,
>and I seem to be well aware of many skellemancer strategies, but now
>that some of you all have brought it up, I'm more interested in a
>poison necro (seems way more fun because you do more actual playing
>rather than watching), so lets expand on this idea now.

I have no experience in playing a poison necro, but understood their
killing speed drops off (a bit, or a lot, I'm not sure) in Hell.

A summoner, with the right gear, will mow through Hell just like that.

Depending on what styles you've played up till, now (so what character did
you play up till now?), it's at the very least 'different', so perhaps
you'll like it. Something like an FO/CL sorc or a melee build is much more
'action oriented' than a summoner, but you'll still be plenty busy Amp
Damage-ing and CE-ing your surroundings...

My advice still stands: Just start playing, and go for a summoner. Your
first 40-45 skill points will go into Skeleton Mastery, Raise Skeletons
and Amp Damage, and perhaps some prerequisites, so hopefully around the
point where you start saving up skill points, you'll also be getting an
idea which area you to further venture into: add more mages, pump CE, try
something like Dim Vision (and perhaps max it), or pump the bone spells
for some extra damage to be dealt out by yourself...

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:14:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123077565.125522.73890@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Skell mages come in handy when your army gets IronMaidened... as they are
>> casters, they dont fall over and give you enough time to raise a new set
of
>> warriors without ever having to retreat ;¬)
>
> Yeah thats true about the IM. Which enemies cast that though?
>
> Just wondering too- I never learned- how do you cast spells using
> hotkeys instead of the mouse(which is limited to right and left click)?

IM is mainly cast by Act4 ChaosSanctury casters... but can be cast all over
D2 by other monsters.
(I thinx summit in Travincal casts it... some stuff in Mephs lair... and
some stuff in Baal-runs - not sure on those atm though)

The hotkey question should probably be a different thread, but I'll answer
it here ;¬)
* Click the left/right skill to make all the skills pop-up that can be used
on left/right mouse-button...
* Hover over the skill you wish to set with the mouse pointer...
* Hit the F-key (Function key) that you wish to assign to that skill.
Thats all... now just hit that F-key to select the skill assigned to it :¬)

I use (As far as I can remember):
F1 = Help (IE: Cast TP)
F2 = Skell warrior
F3 = Skell mage
F4 = Revive

F5 = AmpDmg
F6 = Corpse explosion
F7 = I cant remember... BoneSpirit I thinx... but thats not gonna be too
useful now MarrowWalks is fixed :¬/
F8 = Teleport (Enigma runeword in armor)

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:33:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123079055.556642.252740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
[SNIP]
What was the marrowwalks bug that everyone is talking about?
And what is the bug on Trangs that deals with cast rate?
Lol, sorry if these sound like newb questions but I played steady for 2
years, took a 2 year break, and started up again 1 month before 1.11.

Again, this should be a different thread as its not related to necro stats.

MarrowWalks gives level33 Bone Prison charges which synergised with
BoneSpirit & others (inceasing their damage). As of 1.11 it doesn't
synergise ;¬(

Full trangs-set slows your casting rate LOADS... no amount of FCR (Faster
Casting Rate) helps to get your speed back up. Blizzard have been promising
to fix it since it was first noticed.... and haven't.

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:38:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1123071736.111089.185950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> You forget the 1 point in Decrepify, for bosses.
>>
>> I find the use of 20 points in Raise Skeletal Mage tricky, but then again,
>> it's a Summoner, so the 'style' is to use maximum summons.
>>
>> Personally, I'd rather put those 20 points in CE, for a larger radius, but
>> that's entirely up to personal preference.
>>
>> With the removal of the Marrowwalk synergy/bug, there's not that much use
>> in pumping Bone Spirit/Bone Spear, since they' never do a lot of damage,
>> so this leaves another 20 points open for either those Mages, or perhaps
>> something like Dim Vision...
>>
>> Regardless, a very survivable build, so take your pick and start
>> playing...
>
>Unfortunately, I am at work right now and for the next 8 hours :/ .
>I'll probably start playing once I get home, but for now I have all day
>to think about it.
>A few questions though:
>
>I would do the 20 warrior + 20 mastery + 1 resist regardless but as for
>the rest:
>I'm wondering if these warriors (I'm assuming there will be around 10
>skellies + the clay golem) will be enough to battle the hordes or will
>I need the (10 or so) mages thrown in as well.

Mages deal relatively little damage, even when maxed. Perhaps they become
more viable if you add the Lower Resists curse in there, but I think lower
Resists override Amp Damage, so you can't have both of them running at the
same time.

You'll also want to max +skills gear on the summoner, so expect to be able
to run around with at least +7 to necro skills without much problems
and/or having to find/acquire very expensive gear. So that probably gets
you nearer to 11 or 12 skellies, a very durable Clay Golem, and if you
just put 1 point in mages, you'll still be able to summon about 5 weak
ones. They're not more than a distraction, but also quite cheap to
re-raise.

And you'll probably get Skellie mages anyway, since it's a prerequisite
for Revive, which is more or less a 1 point wonder. 1 point in revive,
with +7 skills, allows you to raise 8 Revices, more than enough for most
situations. Perhaps in the end-game phase you decide you want more
Revives, so at that point you could opt to put more skillpoints there...

>If the mages are not
>required, then would CE be a good choice for the rest? Or is CE not
>really necessary either? I'm wondering about situations where the
>enemies are far off and since all my warriors (w/o mages) would be
>melee it would be hard to kill them.

??? Exactly because most of the enemies are drawn towards your Skeleton
Warriors, they're nicely packed together so CE can get 'em. 1 point in CE
is a must, which again, due to the +skills, is raised to about slvl 8,
which is already quite nice.

However, every point put in CE adds to the radius, so the explosion
'reaches' more enemies. At slvl 20 +7 = 27, your CE covers about a screen.
Very nice, and very devastating. But again, you only start maxing CE after
you've maxed SM + RS, and before that I advice you to put 1 point in it as
soon as you can, so you can get a feel for what it does. It will also
become quite clear where the 'fall-off' area is for an slvl 1/2/3 CE, once
you start acquiring +skills equipment.

>Also in the summoner guide you only have 1 point on Amp Dmg, yet every
>other summoner says having Decrept and Dim Vision is a must.

Decrepify is in my opinion definately a must, for bosses and/or very tough
monster packs (I also Decrepify Listers pack), and sometimes some really
tough Extra Fast packs.

My MF Skelliemancer (lvl 93, standard build for SM+RS has 20 CE, 20 Bone
Spirit, rest Bone Spear, too bad about the fixed Marrowalks bug) and no
points in Dim Vision and does fine in all of Hell.

So Dim Vision is up to your personal preference, I've read many times a
maxed Dim Vision (20 hard points + skills) can quiet down the entire
screen (and more) of ranged attackers, and I believe that, so it will
certianly be able to add more to your safety.

I personally always like more offense, which why I skipped Dim Vision and
started pumping the Bone spells. Perhaps I'd do it differently now, since
the Marrowalks no longer make the Bone spells that powerful, even on a
summoner.

>Any help on these issues would be much help. Thanks

Hope this helps, all will become clear once you start playing...

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <Ui4Ie.73634$dN6.61201@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Trammel <Me@Server.com> wrote:
>"garret" <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1123077565.125522.73890@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> Skell mages come in handy when your army gets IronMaidened... as they are
>>> casters, they dont fall over and give you enough time to raise a new set
>of
>>> warriors without ever having to retreat ;¬)
>>
>> Yeah thats true about the IM. Which enemies cast that though?
>
>IM is mainly cast by Act4 ChaosSanctury casters... but can be cast all over
>D2 by other monsters.
>(I thinx summit in Travincal casts it... some stuff in Mephs lair... and
>some stuff in Baal-runs - not sure on those atm though)

Err, no, luckily it's a bit more limited than that. Until 1.11, the only
places you could run into Oblivion Knights (the only monsters able to cast
IM, and whose name is usually abbrevated to 'OK') were:

- Act IV, Chaos Sanctuary (ALWAYS)
- Act V, Worldstone keep level 3 and Throne Room (but not always)

I haven't encountered them anywhere else.

Appararently, with 1.11, you'll also encounter OK's in one of the areas
beyond the portal, notable the area where you encouter Ueber-Izual. Since
I've never been there (yet... :) , I cannot comment on this.

IM is hell for melee chars, so be very careful in the above-mentioned
areas, although you can start whacking away in Act V once you're 100% sure
the level hasn't spawned with OK's. Since skellies are melee chars, you'll
notice soon enough if/when they've been IMed since the counter indicating
the number of skellies you have starts counting down real fast.

I can usually CE the whole bunch of enemies causing this before I run out
of skellies, and re-raise the army from them. Consider paying a quick
visit to the healer in town to remove the IM curse after that, if it
hasn't worn of yet.

[Hotkey stuff deleted, Garret should read the manual for that]

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:26:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1123079055.556642.252740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Garret <garretdoe@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What was the marrowwalks bug that everyone is talking about?
>And what is the bug on Trangs that deals with cast rate?
>Lol, sorry if these sound like newb questions but I played steady for 2
>years, took a 2 year break, and started up again 1 month before 1.11.

I agree with Trammel here; if you have enough free time to post all these
question here, you should also have enough time to put some keywords of
your question in Google, and the answer will be found out by yourself.
Much more satifying too!

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:18:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On 3 Aug 2005, "garret" wrote:

>> Trammel, what is your outlook on the Dim Vision, Decrept, and Amp Dmg
>> curses?

Dim Vision is maxed, All other curses have 1 point each.

Unfortunately I have +skills that drive Amp Damage and Decrep up beyond
where I want them but then again life is supposed to be complex.

Usage:

1: Dim Vision EVERYTHING so they all stop moving and shooting.
2: when the skeletons engage some monster(s) apply Amp Damage just
behind the skeletons so the area just overlaps the engaged monsters and
everything else stays blind. If the monsters don't die fast, use decrep
instead so they don't kill your skellies.

If you have CE maxed also, then after the skellies have killed a few,
spam Amp Damage, then spam CE.

If the enemy is IPhysical, spam Lower Resists instead of Amp Damage.

If the enemy has many champions (not blindable) spam Confusion because
all the non-champions become targets for the champs. Apply Amp Damage
to the few (at a time) that your skellies engage.

Skill with curses is important.


--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:28:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

>> "Garret" wrote .
>> [SNIP]
>> What was the marrowwalks bug that everyone is talking about?

In the last 2 years the 'synergies' came out.

Your bone armor is strengthened by every point you put in bone wall and
bone prison. +skills don't count with these synergies, but they do with
the primary skill.

Now, Marrowwalks have charges of level 33 bone prison.

The marrowwalk bug is that if you have NO points in bone prison, but
have marrowwalks on, then those charges act like having 33 (of 20
possible) points in Bone Prison for the purpose of calculating the
strength of your bone armor.

The Marrowwalk bug affected ALL skills that were boosted by a synergy,
if that synergy was present as charges on an item, and you have NO
points in that synergy skill.

Thus, a NON NECRO with Marrowwalks on, if he also has charges for (or
ctc) bone armor, when he does cast bone armor from charges or because of
ctc, the bone armor is strengthened by the synergy effect of the
marrowwalks.

Wearing a metalgrid ammy (if you have no points in Iron Golem) will
strengthen your clay golem. If you're also holding the (whatever) with
charges to Blood Golem (and have no points in Blood Golem) then when you
cast Clay Golem, the Ar and life are boosted by the level of the charge
to IG on the ammy and BG on the (whatever).

This "marrowwalk bug" got fixed in 1.11 so it no longer matters.

>> And what is the bug on Trangs that deals with cast rate?

No matter how much FCR gear you have, if you have a whole Trang set on
your cast rate is about 1/sec.

>> Blizzard have been promising
>> to fix it since it was first noticed.... and haven't.

How about TPPK... does that still work?


--

Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker
USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper
      • 1 / 3
      • 2
      • 3
      • Newest
!