Laptop Recommendations

coolmicro

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
Hi All!

I'm looking to purchase a laptop within a couple of weeks. Just wondering if someone can give me some recommendations based on these requirements:

-Intel 1.6GHz Centrino
-512MB 333MHz DDR (PC2700)
-40GB 5400rpm
-32MB+ Video Card
-13.3" or 14.4" screen
-Around 5lbs or less (I will be traveling around a lot so the ligther the better)

Also, can you provide me with some info based on quality, keyboard layout, heat, noise, screen, HD, performance, etc. The laptop will be used for work and school, dual-booting Linux and Windows, general office applications, programming, a little bit of computer graphics (not intensive) and gaming. Hopefully, it will be able to run counterstrike or warcraft III fairly well. I like the IBM T41 for the features/quality and Fujitsu S6210 for the looks/weight/price. My budge is around $2000-2500. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Halberd388

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Hmmm... it's alittle heavier than your specs, but this is within your specs otherwise. Oh, and Centrino is just a specific Intel uses to signify the mobile wireless technology mixed with their mobile processors. So in order to get Centrino, you must get a Pentium M Proc above 1.6ghz and atleast an Intel 2100 Wireless mPCI card.

Go to www.dell.com, choose small business, then Notebooks, Inspiron Systems, Choose the 8600, and configure it as such.

Inspiron 8600 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.6A GHz),15.4in WUXGA

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional WPXP
Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms 512MB2D

Video Card 64MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4X Graphics NV64MB

Hard Drive 30GB

Power Adapter AC adapter - 65w, 19.5v 65W

No Floppy NOFD

24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow

Wireless Networking Cards Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

Bundled Software WordPerfect® - Powerful Word Processing

Security Software Norton Internet Security™, 90 day trial

Dell Nylon Carrying Case (Do get this, specificly made for Dell systems)

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 3 Yrs Business Standard Plan (Standard Plan Includes Complete Care Accidental Damage, Trust me... you'll accidentaly drop it one day)

All total, it came out to about $1,988 before tax and shipping, so it will be well within your $2,500. Plus with the 3 year accidental damage protection and on site labor... you've got the system you were looking for.

Hope that helps

Your Friendly Government Dell Tech,
J.E.
DellTech Rep ID - 172946