Solid Blue Screen / Beeping... what is this?

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 11, 2005 1:02:21 AM

Hey all...

I was playing battlefield 2 when all of a sudden my PC's monitor went
solid blue (with no text) and the PC started beeping. I had to turn it
off and turn it back on and it was fine afterward.

I thought maybe it was a heat issue so I fired up battlefield 2 today
and played for 2 hours straight. I also fired up Everquest 2 and played
that for 2 hours and 40 minutes straight. I did not get the "solid
blue" screen again...

Can someone tell me what causes this to happen? There is actually
mention of it in the Dell manual (XPS Gen 5) but they don't explain
what causes it. I haven't been able to get a straight answer (or any
answer) out of Dell...

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

-Spo-
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:27:48 AM

<spomospathi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey all...
>
> I was playing battlefield 2 when all of a sudden my PC's monitor went
> solid blue (with no text) and the PC started beeping. I had to turn it
> off and turn it back on and it was fine afterward.
>
> I thought maybe it was a heat issue so I fired up battlefield 2 today
> and played for 2 hours straight. I also fired up Everquest 2 and played
> that for 2 hours and 40 minutes straight. I did not get the "solid
> blue" screen again...
>
> Can someone tell me what causes this to happen? There is actually
> mention of it in the Dell manual (XPS Gen 5) but they don't explain
> what causes it. I haven't been able to get a straight answer (or any
> answer) out of Dell...
>
> Should I be concerned?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Spo-

I'd just monitor it. Better yet, unless you've removing the 'utility
partition', F12 at boot / boot to utility partition, and select "custom
tests" / non-interactive / and run about 10 loops overnight of the entire
diagnostic suite. Be sure you have media in the drives or they will "fail".

This might ease any fears of hardware problems if it passes, and could point
to software issues.

Stew
!