BNet on Modem?

I tried BNet for the first time last night and played for almost 2
hours. I was unable to join one game but did not get kicked off once I
joined one successfully. For the most part it was just me an one other
person and then me alone towards the end, but I was noticing that there
was hardly any lag at all. Do other's play BNet on a modem and is it
worth it? I heard that in later levels a second of lag is pretty much
your death verdict. Also, does the BNet game keep your progress (maps,
waypoints, quests solved, etc?).

Thanks.

I created a bnet account and character that will be deleted in 10 days
if I dont log 2 hours of game time. I am sure I logged into USEast.
There were adds on the top of the page and characters chatting. I
clicked to join a game and there were intially 3 people and then just
me and one person. The char was a level 1 barbarian that just started
out. What struck me as odd is that s/he was moving way fast, ignoring
gold and dropped items from monsters, but s/he must have been without
cheats because the character almost died fighting blood raven.

Hawklan schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been playing on UsEast Ladder on modem for about six months (Lvl
> 88 Conc Barb). The lag can be brutal, especially in nightmare or higher.
> Basically, on a night where it is really bad as soon as I get some lag I
> immediately quaff a health potion or two, it's saved me more than once.
> It's quite a rough to see 15 hits, a potion and then 4 or five hits hit
> you all at once (it's nice to survive though).
>
> I am very rarely kicked off though. Bnet is pretty good for saving
> quests, WP's as long as you aren't timed out before you complete the
> quest. Just be sure to pick stuff up fast. Last night I was just about to
> pick up some nice MF when I was timed out.
>
> All in all its okay, I do primarily because I have free dial-up at
> home, so Diablo 2 online is a completely free gaming experience for me! It
> sounds like you had alucky night, if you play modem for any prolonged
> period of time you will have to expect regular/nightly lag.
>
> Cheers and happy hunting,
>
> Hawklan

Thanks for the somewhat encouraging post. :) I certainly will keep
playing then. It was kinda fun, but I imagine it being more fun if you
have a close group of people you always play with or people with a
similar style. I am very thorough in completing all areas and such,
whereas other's seem to rush out into the *wild* to kill the bosses and
complete the quests.

Anyway, thanks ya'll.

"Christian Winter" <cwinter@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I tried BNet for the first time last night and played for almost 2
> hours. I was unable to join one game but did not get kicked off once I
> joined one successfully. For the most part it was just me an one other
> person and then me alone towards the end, but I was noticing that there
> was hardly any lag at all. Do other's play BNet on a modem and is it
> worth it? I heard that in later levels a second of lag is pretty much
> your death verdict. Also, does the BNet game keep your progress (maps,
> waypoints, quests solved, etc?).

If there was only you and one other person... are you sure that you were on
the closed realm?
There are 2 bNet modes of play Open & Realm.

Open bNet uses characters from your own PCs HDD and you / someone else is
the host for games.
If you host games... you get NO lag but the other players probably will.
(This means alot of characters are using hacked items, lvl-99 with 99 in all
skills, 98347958375 life, etc)

If you play on Realms (UsWest, UsEast, Europe, Asia) then there should have
been ALOT of people in the chat-rooms & playing games :¬/
The realm games store your character information on the battle.net (bNet)
servers so there are no hacked items/skills but there are still dupes
(duplicates) of high-level items & its much more playable.

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

On 3 Aug 2005 05:50:00 -0700, Christian Winter wrote:

> Do other's play BNet on a modem and is it
> worth it? I heard that in later levels a second of lag is pretty much
> your death verdict.

I played on USEast for years, and I only have ISDN (64k). It's a bit better
than an analog modem, but the difference isn't huge. Also, I am in Europe,
which adds some lag. Haven't had any problems even in full games, no more
lag than anyone else. I played HC without any trouble, so I'm positive that
you won't have problems.

>Also, does the BNet game keep your progress (maps,
> waypoints, quests solved, etc?).

If you play on closed b.net, yes, all character information is saved on the
server.

M.

If your ever on UsEAst SC Ladder let me know. I tend to clear areas out
as well. Mixed reviews playing with others (big surprise there!)

This forum should have a standard game name that it creates. Then
forum members could join it (with password of course) and discuss joint
play. Might add a little something to the discussion.

Cheers,

Hawklan
Us East SC Ladder - 'Serenn Barb-88'
'Go Leafs Necro-18'

Actually, I made a non ladder character only so far. Should I always
have a ladder one? I think I read someplace that non ladder character
cannot join ladder games. Anyway, I have a Paladin named "Narajhan" on
US.East.

It's really a matter of preference really,

Now is a good time to join ladder as it was recently reset. Meaning you
hit the ground at the same time. When I joined, the ranks were full of lvl
90+ characters. Frankly a new character will never catch those guys if
they continue to play them.

At least now you have a chance (although I still don't play nearly
enough).In terms of gameplay there is no real difference that I am aware
of except that when you reach certain lvls you are given a title Sir,
Baron etc... and you can make the top 100 list of you play like a
fanatic.

Cheers,

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message
> It's really a matter of preference really,
>
> Now is a good time to join ladder as it was recently reset. Meaning you
> hit the ground at the same time. When I joined, the ranks were full of lvl
> 90+ characters. Frankly a new character will never catch those guys if
> they continue to play them.

Either your in a time warp or you listened to too many rumors. Ladder resets
this coming monday. Last monday was patch day.

--
In a World full of Insanity
Here I Stand.

Hawklan schrieb:

> It's really a matter of preference really,
>
> Now is a good time to join ladder as it was recently reset. Meaning you
> hit the ground at the same time. When I joined, the ranks were full of lvl
> 90+ characters. Frankly a new character will never catch those guys if
> they continue to play them.
>
> At least now you have a chance (although I still don't play nearly
> enough).In terms of gameplay there is no real difference that I am aware
> of except that when you reach certain lvls you are given a title Sir,
> Baron etc... and you can make the top 100 list of you play like a
> fanatic.
>
> Cheers,

I don't think I'd spend nearly enough time online to even appear on
ladder, but thanks for point this out.