Resistance question

Hey guys/gals,

I'm still fairly new to D2 so please forgive me if this question
seems simple. Lately, I've noticed that my resistance wavers. None of my
equipment has changed so I am wondering - when certain creatures hit or
poison you can they permanently reduce your resistance.

For example until recently I had 32 res to fire and was stunned last
night when I checked the character screen only to see that it was -5? My
equipment bonus is still there but I am -5? On top of this all the other
resistances were lower too!

This is really starting to have an effect as I progress in nightmare.
Any info on this would help.

cheers,

Hawklan

"Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message
> Hey guys/gals,
>
> I'm still fairly new to D2 so please forgive me if this question
> seems simple. Lately, I've noticed that my resistance wavers. None of my
> equipment has changed so I am wondering - when certain creatures hit or
> poison you can they permanently reduce your resistance.
>
> For example until recently I had 32 res to fire and was stunned last
> night when I checked the character screen only to see that it was -5? My
> equipment bonus is still there but I am -5? On top of this all the other
> resistances were lower too!
>
> This is really starting to have an effect as I progress in nightmare.
> Any info on this would help.

Base resistances are different in Normal, Nightmare & Hell.

This means as you need more resistances in Nightmare & Hell than you did in
the previous incarnations.

Try looking at your character in Normal & Nightmare and comparing the
differences.
Is this what you mean?.

No monsters in Diablo2/LoD can permanently reduce your resists although (Im
not sure on the next bit) I thinx some monsters like OKs (Oblivion Knights)
can lower your resists for a short period of time.

--
Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

I hadn't considered that the different lvls affected resistance. Is it for
instance:

Normal - res all 20
Mighmare - res all 10
Hell - res all 0

Does it bump you down in this manner? I mean I am really getting
frustrated, I had them up to minimum 65 now they're all in the teens and
poison is -5.

I'm only on Act2 NM but once I get to those act 3 fire Chiefs (sorry
forget name little dudes with nasty fire) than I'll be dying on a regular
basis.

thanks for the info, I'll create a normal game and check it out (although
I'm sure I checked my res in NM and it was higher)

Cheers,

Hawklan

In NM its -40 to all in Hell its -100 to all

Hawklan wrote:
> I hadn't considered that the different lvls affected resistance. Is it for
> instance:
>
> Normal - res all 20
> Mighmare - res all 10
> Hell - res all 0
>
> Does it bump you down in this manner? I mean I am really getting
> frustrated, I had them up to minimum 65 now they're all in the teens and
> poison is -5.
>
> I'm only on Act2 NM but once I get to those act 3 fire Chiefs (sorry
> forget name little dudes with nasty fire) than I'll be dying on a regular
> basis.
>
> thanks for the info, I'll create a normal game and check it out (although
> I'm sure I checked my res in NM and it was higher)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hawklan

I too got hammered in NM when I finally got a character past Baal. (I've
been playing for 4-5 months now).

I have found that the Ancient's Pledge runeword helps a lot , as well as
choosing equipment for its resistance (in some cases) rather than its
ability to modify AR or damage.

Sandra

Hawklan wrote:
> I hadn't considered that the different lvls affected resistance. Is it for
> instance:
>
> Normal - res all 20
> Mighmare - res all 10
> Hell - res all 0
>
> Does it bump you down in this manner? I mean I am really getting
> frustrated, I had them up to minimum 65 now they're all in the teens and
> poison is -5.
>
> I'm only on Act2 NM but once I get to those act 3 fire Chiefs (sorry
> forget name little dudes with nasty fire) than I'll be dying on a regular
> basis.
>
> thanks for the info, I'll create a normal game and check it out (although
> I'm sure I checked my res in NM and it was higher)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hawklan

mark

"Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message

> Any info on this would help.

Resistances are reduced by -40 for NM and -100 for Hell. But you get +10 for
doing the Anya quest in A5. So if you've done the Anya quest in Normal and
you stand naked in NM your resistances will be -30 for all. If you do the NM
quest as well, by the time you reach Hell they will be -80 all. HTH.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

Trammel wrote:
> "Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message
> No monsters in Diablo2/LoD can permanently reduce your resists although (Im
> not sure on the next bit) I thinx some monsters like OKs (Oblivion Knights)
> can lower your resists for a short period of time.

Yes, and there are also aura enechanted bosses who have conviction. The
conviction aura lowers your resists (now made even more famous by
UberMeph).

Thanks for the info,

Boy I'm really looking forward to Hell now! Never thought to pass up
on AR items for res items but I may have to (As a Conc Barb I just assumed
to it should go to AR-might have to rethink that).

On another note, anyone know how to equip a merc? I can't get to
his/her inventory screen. As it is, with base equipment I find them hardly
worth it and just play without one.

Cheers,

Hawklan

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote:

[snip]
>(Im not sure on the next bit) I thinx some monsters like OKs
>(Oblivion Knights) can lower your resists for a short period
>of time.

Oh yes, they can. And the period is not that short, at least when
you're affected in a crouded Sanctuary or later on in Worldstone Keep
(Nightmare and Hell) it sometimes feels like an eternity to go away
again. :-(
While the fire immune ones are melee only, the cold immune ones are
those to worry about, as they are the casters when talking about
Oblivion Knights:

|Undead Fighter
|Undead Mage
|
|Tips and Other Additional Information
|Doom Knights and Abyss Knights have an innate Spectral Hit
|ability (random elemental damage).
|
|Abyss Knights and Oblivion Knights have a ranged elemental attack
|which can be blocked with a shield. Abyss Knights can use Bone Armor.
|
|Oblivion Knights are known to be one of the most dangerous enemies
|in the game for melee characters. Oblivion Knights use the following
|Skills: Bestow (heals others), Bone Armor, Bone Spirit, Decrepify,
|Iron Maiden, Lower Resist, Weaken, Amplify Damage (wow!).
(<http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act4-undeadhorror.shtml>)

If e.g. your fire resistance is not max'ed, you can encounter one hit
killers, when being affected by an OK's Lower Resistance cast:

|Tips and Other Additional Information
|Megademons have an Inferno like attack they may use when you get
|within melee range. The Inferno is incredibly damaging so high Fire
|resistance and Fire Absorb gear will offer some protection. Fight them
|at a distance whenever possible or kill them as quickly as possible.
(<http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act4-megademon.shtml>)

(OK, Inferno is not one hit, but damage over time, but _that's_ what I
call a "short period".^^)

The other thing with "resistances" (not elemental but physical) is
getting debuffed with Amplify Damage by an OK caster. You'd be very
careful with the OK meleers then, as they do quite a huge amount of
physical damage.

This is an Act4 scenario. But in Nightmare and Hell you can encouter
OK's in the Worldstone Keep, too, due to the random spawns of monsters
there since 1.10. So if you've been debuffed with Lower Resist, it's
always good to have an eye on elemental damagers... like Sooouuuuls,
IMHO the _real_ one hit killers!
(<http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act3-willowisp.shtml>)

A nice way out of this the Necro's Confuse spell, which can be found
on some items as charges as well as on the runeword Delirium. That
one comes with a nice:
|11% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking
(<http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml>)

My old strafazon never had problem with OK while wearing that helmet,
as the OK casters (who cannot be affected by Confuse as well as other
monsters like all of the Uniques) spam their spells to every monster
around that has been affected by Confuse, just because of the nature
of the Confuse spell. A "Confuse"d monster attacks everone that's
around, players _and_ monsters, so those are considered enemies by
both, confused and not confused monsters.
For a strafer every single strafing shot counts as a normal shot^^, so
the chance to cast Confuse with Delirium while using Strafe is very
high.

J:
NP: -
--
http://here.is/ripley/
Mischief, Mayhem, Soap

mark

> On another note, anyone know how to equip a merc? I can't get to
> his/her inventory screen.

Type 'O' on your keyboard to open his/her inventory.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

On 4-Aug-2005, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote:

> > On another note, anyone know how to equip a merc? I can't get to
> > his/her inventory screen.
>
> Type 'O' on your keyboard to open his/her inventory.

Be aware, you can only equip a weapon, armor, and hat for your merc. The
only exception is the act 3 merc, where you can give him a weapon and a
shield.
Welcome to the monkey house!
--
Not 1337.