No packets sent

Using an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter in my notebook. The
adapter is connected and shows excellent signal strength connecting to my
Linksys router. However, no packets are being received and I cannot access
the 'net, e-mail or IM. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating the
drivers, working with a bridge and without...all to no avail. Any help or
work arounds would be greatly appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about packets sent

    I have the exact same problem. Just got a Gateway M505 that has a Intel Pro
    2200, and have the same exact symtoms. I also have a Linksys BEFW11S4
    router. I tried everything. Finally sent the notebook back to gateway and
    they are working on it now. If you find a solution let me know and I will
    do the same for you. Tony
    "David Richman" <drichman@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Using an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter in my notebook.
    > The
    > adapter is connected and shows excellent signal strength connecting to my
    > Linksys router. However, no packets are being received and I cannot access
    > the 'net, e-mail or IM. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating the
    > drivers, working with a bridge and without...all to no avail. Any help or
    > work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

    Just because you have a good signal doesn't mean you're ready to
    connect. Several things must be in place. The SSID and encryption,
    if enabled, must match. Furthermore, the IP address assigned by the
    DHCP must be within range of the IP as indicated in the router's menu,
    unless you specified your own range. More than likely, you're getting
    an IP address of 169.254..... An IP address like that usually signals
    a misconfiguration. If that is the case, try releasing then renewing
    the IP address by doing the following: Click on START, then click on
    RUN. type CMD in the dialog box that appears. This will bring up our
    DOS window. Type IPCONFIG and press ENTER. If the IP address is
    169.254....then type IPCONFIG /RELEASE then press ENTER. Afterwards,
    type IPCONFIG /RENEW and press ENTER. Wait a moment then retype
    IPCONFIG and press ENTER to see if you get a correct IP address. It
    "should" begin with 192.168....

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:04:37 GMT, "David Richman"
    <drichman@optonline.net> wrote:

    >Using an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter in my notebook. The
    >adapter is connected and shows excellent signal strength connecting to my
    >Linksys router. However, no packets are being received and I cannot access
    >the 'net, e-mail or IM. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating the
    >drivers, working with a bridge and without...all to no avail. Any help or
    >work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

    I had the correct IP address. I have 4 computers on my home network and the
    address assigned was right in order. I had WEP disabled and the network
    connection icon said I was connected to my wireless network and signal
    strength was excellent. Packets were sent but none were recieved. Tony
    "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Just because you have a good signal doesn't mean you're ready to
    > connect. Several things must be in place. The SSID and encryption,
    > if enabled, must match. Furthermore, the IP address assigned by the
    > DHCP must be within range of the IP as indicated in the router's menu,
    > unless you specified your own range. More than likely, you're getting
    > an IP address of 169.254..... An IP address like that usually signals
    > a misconfiguration. If that is the case, try releasing then renewing
    > the IP address by doing the following: Click on START, then click on
    > RUN. type CMD in the dialog box that appears. This will bring up our
    > DOS window. Type IPCONFIG and press ENTER. If the IP address is
    > 169.254....then type IPCONFIG /RELEASE then press ENTER. Afterwards,
    > type IPCONFIG /RENEW and press ENTER. Wait a moment then retype
    > IPCONFIG and press ENTER to see if you get a correct IP address. It
    > "should" begin with 192.168....
    >

    > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:04:37 GMT, "David Richman"
    > <drichman@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Using an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter in my notebook.
    >>The
    >>adapter is connected and shows excellent signal strength connecting to my
    >>Linksys router. However, no packets are being received and I cannot access
    >>the 'net, e-mail or IM. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating the
    >>drivers, working with a bridge and without...all to no avail. Any help or
    >>work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

    Hi Tony. being that your connection is set up correctly, you might
    want to check your firewall (specifically, your software firewall) and
    see if it is preventing you from gaining access.

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:19:00 GMT, "Tony Marcus"
    <(nospam)tmarcus@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I had the correct IP address. I have 4 computers on my home network and the
    >address assigned was right in order. I had WEP disabled and the network
    >connection icon said I was connected to my wireless network and signal
    >strength was excellent. Packets were sent but none were recieved. Tony
    >"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Just because you have a good signal doesn't mean you're ready to
    >> connect. Several things must be in place. The SSID and encryption,
    >> if enabled, must match. Furthermore, the IP address assigned by the
    >> DHCP must be within range of the IP as indicated in the router's menu,
    >> unless you specified your own range. More than likely, you're getting
    >> an IP address of 169.254..... An IP address like that usually signals
    >> a misconfiguration. If that is the case, try releasing then renewing
    >> the IP address by doing the following: Click on START, then click on
    >> RUN. type CMD in the dialog box that appears. This will bring up our
    >> DOS window. Type IPCONFIG and press ENTER. If the IP address is
    >> 169.254....then type IPCONFIG /RELEASE then press ENTER. Afterwards,
    >> type IPCONFIG /RENEW and press ENTER. Wait a moment then retype
    >> IPCONFIG and press ENTER to see if you get a correct IP address. It
    >> "should" begin with 192.168....
    >>

    >> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:04:37 GMT, "David Richman"
    >> <drichman@optonline.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Using an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter in my notebook.
    >>>The
    >>>adapter is connected and shows excellent signal strength connecting to my
    >>>Linksys router. However, no packets are being received and I cannot access
    >>>the 'net, e-mail or IM. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating the
    >>>drivers, working with a bridge and without...all to no avail. Any help or
    >>>work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks for the reply. The laptop is now having the hardware checked at
    Gateway, but I am sure the firewall wasn't enabled. Tony
    > Hi Tony. being that your connection is set up correctly, you might
    > want to check your firewall (specifically, your software firewall) and
    > see if it is preventing you from gaining access.

    Hi,

    I suffered from the same problems. Bought a new VAIO laptop with the Intel
    2200BG chipset.
    Problems with my netgear router, belkin router and my linksys AP.
    Also connections were dropping every now and then. Signals seemed to be
    strong.
    Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
    Belkin support helped my to debug the situation. Eventually they concluded I
    was suffering from RF interference. Switched off all in house dect phones
    and anything with an antenna.
    Rebooted (cold start) all wireless equipment and problems were gone.
    Switched on all phones and basestation, one by one, everything has been
    stable since then.
    Apparently the spread spectrum thing needs to adapt to a RF clean
    environment?
    I don't know.
    Anyhow, all works fine for 2 weeks now.

    Bert

    "Tony Marcus" <(nospam)tmarcus@optonline.net> schreef in bericht
    > Thanks for the reply. The laptop is now having the hardware checked at
    > Gateway, but I am sure the firewall wasn't enabled. Tony
    > "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Tony. being that your connection is set up correctly, you might
    > > want to check your firewall (specifically, your software firewall) and
    > > see if it is preventing you from gaining access.

    Thanks for the reply. Had gateway check out the laptop and they concluded
    everthing is in working order. As soon as I get it back I'll give your
    procedure a shot. Thanks again, Tony
    "Bert" <viergang141@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I suffered from the same problems. Bought a new VAIO laptop with the Intel
    > 2200BG chipset.
    > Problems with my netgear router, belkin router and my linksys AP.
    > Also connections were dropping every now and then. Signals seemed to be
    > strong.
    > Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
    > Belkin support helped my to debug the situation. Eventually they concluded
    > was suffering from RF interference. Switched off all in house dect phones
    > and anything with an antenna.
    > Rebooted (cold start) all wireless equipment and problems were gone.
    > Switched on all phones and basestation, one by one, everything has been
    > stable since then.
    > Apparently the spread spectrum thing needs to adapt to a RF clean
    > environment?
    > I don't know.
    > Anyhow, all works fine for 2 weeks now.
    >
    > Bert
    >
    > "Tony Marcus" <(nospam)tmarcus@optonline.net> schreef in bericht
    >> Thanks for the reply. The laptop is now having the hardware checked at
    >> Gateway, but I am sure the firewall wasn't enabled. Tony
    >> "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Tony. being that your connection is set up correctly, you might
    >> > want to check your firewall (specifically, your software firewall) and
    >> > see if it is preventing you from gaining access.

Wireless Networking